“" Snorkeling Trip -Incredible! Memorable! The Home of your Desire ! "”
Review of Mnemba Atoll

Mnemba Atoll
Book In Advance
More Info
US$74.00*
and up
Half Day Zanzibar Mnemba Atoll Marine Reserve...
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Mnemba Island is the Most amazing place for snorkeling in Zanzibar . Several schools of fish are found there . we try to feed them with Banana. its really amazing thing !! Sometimes dolphins are coming around the Island . If we want to find them for sure and swim with them we go to Kombe ( 20mns driving from Mnemba island ) . Just contact Me WhatsApp & Normal call +255777814472

All reviews
"eel"
"beaches"
"mainland"

Reviewed 1 June 2018

Mnemba is supposed to offer the best diving of Zanzibar, which is seriously worrying. I dived only two spots (Wattabomi & Kichwani) so maybe my experience is not complete, but it's enough for me to not return there again.

Both dives felt like Mediterranean dives which can be fine, but are very disappointing if you are expecting tropical coral reefs of the Indian Ocean. There were nice structures of rock (i.e. dead coral) and good viz (25 m), but very few fish (some schools of snappers and emperors, very few butterflies, no angels, no groupers, no sweetlips, no trevallies, no sharks). So the reef has obviously been destroyed (dynamite fishing, climate change, tourists or who knows what) and heavily overfished.

Now, this might sound like a poor experience, rather than terrible. I rated it terrible because of the high price I paid for the trip: 175 USD (including transport from Paje, 2 dives and lunch). For me, such a high price can only be justified if you have some decent diving to offer, which on my trip was not the case.

2  Thank Designedforx
Reviewed 15 May 2018

The water was perfect for a few hours of snorkelling around an abundant reef. Wonderful memories. I would do it every day if I could!

Reviewed 7 April 2018

We visited the atoll for a snorkeling trip early April, during the rainy season. Little did we know how lucky we were that it was rainy season and thus low season: when we snorkeled, there were "only" some 25 other boats on the two coral reef spots where it is allowed to snorkel. Corals and fish life are still great but I fear that this is going to become another "Similan Islands story" (in Thailand; see my review on it): no regulation whatsoever (except that it is forbidden to set foot on the island) leading to an ever increase in boats and tourists and subsequent deterioration of the reef. We heard that in high season there are easily more than HUNDRED boats anchored on or around the small reefs.
There are also plans to build a huge hotel opposite the island. Go therefore now and stay away from it in the future. Or use your influence to regulate number of boats and tourists per day.
There is also a nice sand bank to visit and relax. It is only accessible at low tide, with the inconvenience that it takes ages to reach the atoll from the "mainland" because of very shallow water, preventing the boats (very basic ones) to go at normal speed.

1  Thank kaiviti2007
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Great experience with lot's of zebra fish and sea stars. Of course, not as picturesque as Red Sea, but the warmth of the sea, the transparency of the water and general atmosphere was great. We've arranged the trip ourselves from Matemwe. As a couple we have paid 40 usd for an individual 4-5 hours trip in a motor boat with two "captains", one of which was also our guide during snorkeling. To come to Mnemba Atoll from Matemwe it is necessary to go very carefully along the coast as the level of water is never high due to the coral atoll keeping the main water away from the coast. It took us almost 30 minutes to come to the passage that allows a boat to go through the atoll and come out in the open sea. From there it took 10 min to Mnemba Atoll. After snorkeling we went closer to Mnemba island - White Sands, I guess - just to take some pictures of bounty beaches. We loved the trip. Would do it again!

1  Thank Sputnica