“Club Grand Slam - Punta Allen, You'll be back”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Punta Allen
Fisherman Fishing Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Punta Allen
Reviewed 20 June 2009

This was our first trip to the Yucutan and we decided to stay at Club Grand Slam (www.clubgrandslam.com), operated and owned by Capt Greg Rahe and his wife Lupida.

Club Grand Slam is situated in the beautiful Sian Ka’an reserve in the small town Punta Allen.

Their beautiful lodge offers very comfortable accommodation with excellent food expertly prepared by chef Lupida !. I am sure we both added 10 pounds to our weight in 10 days ! The lodge offers very good value for money.

Capt Greg Rahe is an excellent guide that will go the extra mile to put his clients on their preferred species, his thourough knowledge of the area comes in very handy when you want to target specific species.

After fishing vary diverse areas in Africa, Seychelles to the Florida Keys I honestly rate this as one of my top areas to fish, combining this with the hospitality you will find from Greg and Lupida I can honestly say that this is a must visit venue...and once visited I am sure you will be back !

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 18 April 2009

This was my first fly fishing trip outside the Turks and Caicos and the flats fishing at Club Grand Slam far surpassed anything I have experienced. If it wasn't for my inability to judge distances, I would have landed 2 grand slams; if I did manage to land the slam it would have been thanks to Greg and the guides for excellent instruction. The only thing that topped the fishing was Lupita's cooking; words can do no justice. Thanks again Lupita and Greg!!!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I live in Montana on a private spring creek, and I've been fly fishing for over 45 years. I am horribly spoiled by this, and I can also afford to fish anywhere in the world, and I have (thanks to a lot of good luck and a bit of hard work). I especially love flats fishing.

I found Club Grand Slam a few years ago. Now I go back every year. I am going again in April 2009 and then again in June. This is the best fishing outfit I have ever found, and I can't say enough about it. It is simply THE BEST flats fishing there is. Period. Bonefish by the thousands, permit all over the place (and BIG ones), tarpon and snook that even a blind man could catch - all together in one place. Just amazing!

I am referring my friends there all the time now, and they are all thanking me and sending their friends. You just can't do better. The prices, location, accommodations, food, guides, and hospitality are a dream come true.

Go now before it is discovered by everyone.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 January 2009

Club Grand Slam proprietors Greg and Lupita were beyond wonderful to us on our vacation to Punta Allen. Our room (two rooms really) was very clean, spacious and comfortable. The shower was hot (& lots of water pressure!) and the AC kept the place cool. And, please, do yourself a favor when you stay at Club Grand Slam; include meals in the package! Lupita is an amazing cook and the portions are huge. Her cuisine is fresh and Mayan; and the garden where meals are served is absolutely lovely.

Believe it our not, we didn't come for the bone fishing but found plenty to do on our own. The nearby swimming, beach combing, and snorkeling opportunities are incredible. Greg showed us miles and miles of deserted beaches and pointed out the good snorkeling spots. There is also a nice jungle hike you can take through the Sian Kahn Biosphere; the trailhead is only minutes away from their place.

Punta Allen is a nice little enclave worth visiting. The people are very friendly and you definitely won't see hordes of tourists. We spent a nice day just walking around town. Make sure you watch the sunset over Laguna Negra from the pier and viewing palapa the town recently built ( and don't forget to bring a bottle of wine).

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank brazilbug
Reviewed 10 January 2009

A fantastic fly fishing experience with guides Fransisco and William. These local fishermen have been guiding for years in Ascension Bay and are very knowledgable not to mention they know all the best spots around. Even for the rookie fly fisher that I am (first timer) I reeled in Bone fish every day we were out - over twenty on my last day.

Accomodations provided by owner, fly fishing instructor and guide, Greg, and his wife, Lupita were always clean and comfortable. We had all the basic comforts of home including A/C. The only exception was television. But who the hell wants to sit in front of that brain drain when life is this good! The beach is just a short jaunt down the street and a small market a few blocks away. The late afternoon downtimes were great for reading or napping and cleaning gear before supper was served.

Lupita cooked generous portions of the most delicious authentic Mexican food for breakfast and dinner. There was always variety and lots of TLC. Meals were served in their private garden just around the corner from our room. She also prepared us sack lunches for the day of fishing. We never went hungry.

Its a long drive to the small fishing village of Punta Allen but the road is well maintained. I liked the feeling of being away from the hustle and bustle of life in this relaxed atmosphere. I'm going back in a few months and really looking forward to it!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
37.3 km away
Alaya Tulum
Alaya Tulum
#2 of 101 in Tulum

Been to Fisherman Fishing Lodge? Share your experiences!