Fisherman Lodge
Sol Caribe(Punta Allen)(Great Value!)
US$160
Hotels.com
  • Beachfront
US$75
Mukan Resort(Punta Allen)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsclub grand slamhis wifeascension bayfishcaptain gregnon judgmentalwater taximolelodging experienceshallow waterthese guysbeach sidebucket listin decembergreat hostsboat ridegreat cook
Reviewed 7 December 2017

My wife taught yoga at a resort near Tulum for a week, so I joined her for a couple of days on the condition we squeeze in some salt water fly fishing before returning home. I stumbled on 'Fisherman's' on Trip Advisor, wrote the owner Greg a couple of times -- by the way, all correspondence was promptly and completely addressed -- so booked three nights and two solid days of fishing. We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, from the initial water taxi to Punta Allen, during which we caught sight of crocodiles, egrets, ibis, a fox and a spoonbill, to the departure home, a gorgeous sunrise, a calm ocean, and more waterfowl and other wild life of the Si'ian K. preserve. As for the accommodations, the showers were hot, the closet space amble, the AC functional, the beds comfortable, and the wall art, of blue marlin and tarpon and permit, a nice touch. As for the meals, all was freshly and originally prepared, delicious and satisfying -- steamed snapper with rice and vegetables, grilled lobster with bacon another: the chef even carved a leaping marlin out of an apple as a decorative garnish. There is a wonderful pool and cocktails to unwind at the end of the day, and conversation at the dinner hour --- no cell phones allowed, a policy we endorse. Our guides, Ross and Alex, were wonderful as well, patient, knowledgeable, putting us onto bonefish, tarpon, snook, and even permit, and coaching my wife on casting techniques gently, sufficiently so that she was able to lead and drop the fly in front of cruising fish by the second day. And Greg, the host, is on top of his game, always searching for ways to improve the experience for the guest, and a wealth of information about the history and lore of the Yucatan. We were planing to return before the end of the first day of the visit. The staff were also exgtraorindarily friendly and helpful, and communication (English, Spanish) was never an issue. A minor heads up - the road through the reserve to the launching dock is pocked up with holes, making for a jarring ride.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2017

Greg has a great spot in Punta Allen, right on the beach with a nice pool and an excellent kitchen. Rooms are large and comfortable. Guides were hardworking and will put you on fish with as good a chance of a super grand slam as anywhere in the world. I got my second grand slam during this visit and got my snook the next morning for a career super grand slam.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2017

This was my 2nd trip with Greg & his guides and was the best so far. I was staying on the beach side of Tulum and met Alex and Ros approx 2 miles inside the reserve. Alot easier drive since the road now is in the worse shape ever. We fished the lagoon side first for Bones. Right off the cast! Hit!. We then went under the bridge past Boca to the ocean side. Rode in the boat for awhile looking for fish. The boys came through. Jack Crevale, Ladyfish, Permit & Tarpon. I was constantly changing rods because of what was swimming. Great action, but unfortunately didn't hook a Tarpon. Finished up at the mangroves by the bridge for Snook. Greg and his guides are awesome. Great response and knowledge on what to look for. Can hardly wait for the next trip.
I highly recommend them.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2017

This was my third year visiting Captain Greg Rahe's lodge. I thoroughly enjoyed flats fishing for two weeks in April, and have just come back from another outstanding week of bonefish (my best fish was a 25 incher) and snook fly fishing with more shots attempted at tarpon and permit for good measure. Guides, I assure you, are not "Screamers". They are very knowledgeable and non judgmental. If you make a casting mistake - "Eh, no big deal, and let's get some more!" type of attitude which sets well for my type of flats fishing. Food is truly outstanding and beautifully presented every evening. I always send back a photo or two of the meals (especially dinners) every day to drive my fly fishing friends back in Boise absolutely crazy. I just I don't usually keep score, but I decided to keep track of fish landed and released on my last day of fly fishing (Nov. 18, 2017). landed 16 bone fish measuring 19 to 22 inches (Lost a few, of course) with only one fish being 19" long. I never caught any bonefish smaller than 16 inches in my entire week (Nov. 13-18) of fly fishing. When I heard one of my fishing buddies was wanting to fish at Fisherman Lodge in December, and needed a partner - well I could not pass it up, so I am going back in less than three weeks to keep him company.

Room Tip: All rooms have quiet efficient air conditioning with good Wi-Fi connection.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2017

Had my honeymoon in Tulum so I knew if I was getting that close to Ascension Bay, I had to fish it at least once. Unfortunately, like most my luck, by the time the day came the weather kept the flats not quite a day that was awesome for fishing. Greg wanted to be sure that we got a good day and he did what he could to push the charter to the best day.
The lodge itself is beautiful with some of the best coffee I had in Mexico.
Ross and Alex where the guide/assistant guide and they were extremely nice the entire time. Ross even sprinted from the boat to his house to get bug spray when we figured out we didn't have any.
Like I said, the weather was subpar for shallow water fishing but both Ross and Alex made the best of it for me.
Greg was very helpful on email and very caring when we got to the lodge, even though we did not get to meet him in person.
If/When I get to visit the area again, I will definitely hook back up with these guys.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple