“Hidden Gem”

Add it.
Poonkies
Ranked #10 of 28 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We were staying at Manicou River cottages at the top of the Mountain. When we arrived at the bottom of the hill, Trevor the owner stopped our taxi and said that we would never make it up the road without a 4x4. He told us to take our gear out and come have a beer and would drive us up there in a few minutes. We talked with him for about an hour and had several beers cold beers. He got us to our retreat and we got settled in.

The following day we came down to his place. He treated us like family offering to drive us snorkeling the next day. The following day came and he was true to his word. He drove us over to where one of the top dive spots on the Island was and offered to come back and pick us up in a few hours. On the way back he took us to his house and him and his buddy Yem chopped up some fresh coconuts and gave them to my wife and I. We went back to his bar where Yem carved up some fresh fish they got off the fisherman on the beach and filleted them in the Manicou River that flows through his property. He taught my wife how to gut a fish and made us a wonderful dinner that night. We hung out there all night into the wee hours and had a blast. Wish we could have stayed later but be had a plane to catch. Trevor is a very kind guy who goes out of his way to make sure your experience on Dominica is the best. His place has a huge fully stocked bar with some specialty rums that he has made. On the one side he is working on opening a boutique and on the other side is the outdoor patio where you can sit by the flowing river and relax. We wish we could have spent more time there, because it felt like we were hanging with family.
We are glad that we had the opportunity to meet Trevor, and hope others will stop at him place and meet him too.

Cory & Sherri

Reviewed 28 February 2013

great food , super helpful and friendly service from Arran and Siamare ... we would drop in during the morning and order what we wanted as a special for dinner that night... gorgeous kallaloo spinachy soup

Reviewed 6 February 2013

It was located right down the hill from Manicou where we stayed. Great food, great drinks and great value. The food was a large portion and very generously priced. Drinks were great, bar was the best stocked on the island. We visited sevceral times and the chef and owner would come and sit with us and talk. Really made for a great time.

Reviewed 4 February 2013

I was promised by Trevor, the restaurant owner, that i would get local spicy fish or seafood - I told him I like curry and coconut milk, and fresh greens. He confirmed my reservation but was not there when I came. I told the cook I was wheat and gluten intolerant. He really did not listen to me. He started the meal with pieces of wheat toast with thousand island dressing which I returned, explaining my dietary needs again. My friend and I got two fish dinners. The fish was ok though I suspected it was coated in wheat flour. It came with potatoes, rice and coleslaw which was not what I wanted. They didn't even have hot sauce! I was sick that night. Note: The dinner was extremely expensive for a mediocre meal -- two dinners at $145 EC -- $80 U.S.?. There was no one else at the restaurant and I believe most of their business is from cruise ships. The restaurant itself was quite beautiful in a dark lounge sort of way with the touches of indigenous artisans.

3  Thank maracujagirl
Reviewed 20 January 2013

This was the best fish dinner we had in Dominica, bar none. Generous portions, fresh fish, freshly prepared. The cook is amazing. The wait staff, however, provided a very weird experience. Told us she couldn't make me a rum punch, despite the dazzling array of bottles behind the bar. Actually, told me she didn't have anything I asked for, so I gave up and told her to make me whatever she liked. She returned with a small cocktail that seemed to be based on Bailey's. My husband and son sensibly stuck with beer. The pre-drinks wouldn't normally be an issue for me, but we waited more than an hour for food because she had to call the cook in. Maybe she was having a bad night, maybe we were dining too early. Go for the food, but be prepared for a weird experience.

2  Thank juviall