I am in the hotel now as I write this review. I have spent 4 weeks traveling the Philippines as I have done for 6 years. The biggest gripes I have in most hotels in the country is the food, taxis, internet and bathroom facilities, and the service, most are substandard. But it is a developing nation.
I had two annoying incidents concerning taxis on arrival to this resort. On check out from the Golden Valley Hotel I asked for a metered taxi and some deadbeat turns up and offers to take us to this resort for 1000 pesos, includes the return trip!!! I lost my temper big time, cut a long story short we got a metered taxi and at the end of the trip, the meter read 305 pesos then the driver asked for the return trip which brought the total to 700. Suffice to say he was lucky to get paid at all. Don't except taxi scams, pay the meter price!!! So came here hoping things would go well and they did. Check in was smooth, we were quoted 4000 pesos promo price on the phone but at check in this was increased to 4,800. I was too tired to argue.
We were welcomed with a drink and smiles and genuine help all round. The porter was polite and prepared our bags nicely. The rooms in the new wing have a balcony and are clean spacious and exciting to be in. The bathroom was a pure delight. The pools are not big but adequate. Guards are on duty and do a great job. One of the biggest surprises here are that the the staff actually smile. That is refreshing. Smiling is not a natural Philippino custom as it signifies that you like that person. The staff are probably the best i have experienced in the Philippines easily. Well done.
The beach is beautiful and bounded by a concrete structure not too pretty but hey it's the Philippines, sand is a bit weedy but a pair of slippers fixes that.
Internet works okay a bit slow on the balconies and very slow in the rooms if at all.
Another big surprise is the food, it is very very good. Equal if not better than the Mandarin, Penninsula and Shangri la. There is a classic mix of Asian and Pinoy food prepared beautifully. The prices were reasonable for the quality, I found the servings a bit small, but I have a huge appetite. The resort is a fair way off the main road so expect to use the shuttle service or taxis. If you want to shop instead of relaxing in the resort you are better off staying in Cebu city.
Oh yes there are a few Koreans but the girls were cute.
Overall I found this resort to be one of the best in the Philippines for the Promo price. Hard to beat 10/10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tucked away in the charming island of Mactan in Cebu is the tropical hideaway of Costabella, a luxury beach resort awarded by the Philippine Department of Tourism with the highest resort classification.An iconic property embraced by white fine sand and shaded by palm trees, Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel is an architectural showcase steeped in history and tradition. Its tastefully-appointed rooms, all 156 of them, beautifully integrate Spanish colonial influences with natural, homegrown materials. Carved stonework, arched doors and charming courtyards are the hallmarks of this timeless place. All accommodations from the modest to luxurious with private balconies offer breathtaking view that is both peaceful and romantic.As the name suggests, Costabella provides travelers and guests with the perfect setting to admire Mactan’s enchanting coastline. This tropical retreat is truly a dream destination for honeymoons and weddings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Travel Book Philippines, Inc. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Costabella Tropical Beach
- Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel Cebu Island/Mactan Island