“One Of The Best Resorts In Mactan”

Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel
Ranked #9 of 43 Hotels in Mactan Island
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

I am in the hotel now as I write this review. I have spent 4 weeks traveling the Philippines as I have done for 6 years. The biggest gripes I have in most hotels in the country is the food, taxis, internet and bathroom facilities, and the service, most are substandard. But it is a developing nation.
I had two annoying incidents concerning taxis on arrival to this resort. On check out from the Golden Valley Hotel I asked for a metered taxi and some deadbeat turns up and offers to take us to this resort for 1000 pesos, includes the return trip!!! I lost my temper big time, cut a long story short we got a metered taxi and at the end of the trip, the meter read 305 pesos then the driver asked for the return trip which brought the total to 700. Suffice to say he was lucky to get paid at all. Don't except taxi scams, pay the meter price!!! So came here hoping things would go well and they did. Check in was smooth, we were quoted 4000 pesos promo price on the phone but at check in this was increased to 4,800. I was too tired to argue.
We were welcomed with a drink and smiles and genuine help all round. The porter was polite and prepared our bags nicely. The rooms in the new wing have a balcony and are clean spacious and exciting to be in. The bathroom was a pure delight. The pools are not big but adequate. Guards are on duty and do a great job. One of the biggest surprises here are that the the staff actually smile. That is refreshing. Smiling is not a natural Philippino custom as it signifies that you like that person. The staff are probably the best i have experienced in the Philippines easily. Well done.
The beach is beautiful and bounded by a concrete structure not too pretty but hey it's the Philippines, sand is a bit weedy but a pair of slippers fixes that.
Internet works okay a bit slow on the balconies and very slow in the rooms if at all.
Another big surprise is the food, it is very very good. Equal if not better than the Mandarin, Penninsula and Shangri la. There is a classic mix of Asian and Pinoy food prepared beautifully. The prices were reasonable for the quality, I found the servings a bit small, but I have a huge appetite. The resort is a fair way off the main road so expect to use the shuttle service or taxis. If you want to shop instead of relaxing in the resort you are better off staying in Cebu city.
Oh yes there are a few Koreans but the girls were cute.

Overall I found this resort to be one of the best in the Philippines for the Promo price. Hard to beat 10/10.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank PetePM
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Ms. Poosti,

Our Team is quite pleased to know that you had a wonderful experience at Costabella. Thank you for the kind words.

We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate experiences with the Taxis and we are taking an active role to try to remedy the problem. We hope that on your next trip that issue will not be around.

Yes! Our Team is and remains the pride of the Resort. They do take pleasure in assisting every need of our guests, from the moment our guests arrive to the moment of departure. More than anything else, they genuinely care.

Thank you for the flattering compliment about our food. We are proud of our chefs who are local home grown talents and who cook with a passion.

We hope to graciously welcome you again to Costabella.

Reviewed 2 November 2012

I didn't expect Costabella would be so good, stayed with my family and we had a great time there, rooms are well-maintained and clean, spacious, pillows are soft, tub in the bathroom, loved it. The beach was great, white fine sand, not crowded, mostly their guests are foreigners. They have a set up bar at night, there's an offer of island hopping tour, banana boat and the works. The in-house restaurant had a live jazz musical thing at dinner. The breakfast buffet spread was delicious and had variety, native chocolate there I loved the most :) There was enough pool available for both adults and children.
Also, I need to mention that the staff are nice and respectful, they also cater to the requests of guests fast, no fuss. All in all, it had been a nice experience for our family. I'm thankful we chose this beach resort in Mactan, value-for-money R and R within reach....the promo they offered during the time we booked was well-appreciated. Thanks Costabella and we will definitely be back :))

Room Tip: better to get superior poolside rooms which are close to the pools and beach front
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank AVTalabis

Dear AVTalabis,

We are happy to know that you and your family had a great experience at Costabella. And we thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

We are glad that you thoroughly enjoyed the amenities as well as the food and entertainment the resort has to offer. And as always we take pride in our team and their honest to goodness desire to assist our guests' needs from the moment they come in to our resort to the moment they depart.

We hope to see you on your trip back to Cebu.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel on 19 Oct, 2012 for 3 nights. I do think this hotel is amazing and thus, I would like to put more words here to express my great experience at this hotel.

When I first arrived the hotel, they gave me a glass of welcome drink and a towel to clean up myself. Receptionist, Ms. Femila, did the room check-in for me with clear explanation of my departure date, breakfast arrangement and time, room type and booking source. She also gave me advised departure time according to my flight schedule. She then asked a baggage porter to direct me to my room with luggage assistance. That porter has checked all things in my room before I got in the room in order to make sure all things are up to standard and are comfortable.

On the second day, I asked them to order a taxi for me to get to SM Mall and they did it for me immediately. Further to this, they told me the approximate charge let me know how much should I pay. Unfortunately, that taxi driver has over-charged me for $150 in Filipino Dollar and I instantly reported this incident to receptionist, Ms. Femila when I went back to the hotel. She then directed me to Guest Service Officer, Ms. Grace for corresponding actions. The reason I reported it to them is I would like them not to order taxi from that driver anymore in order to avoid any future travellers to be suffered again. They gave me a complaint form mark down all necessary information and told me they would not pass it to their management to block that driver in the future, which is I would like to them to do. I do think this kind of issue always happens and they did the right job.

Before one day of my departure, they made me a call to re-confirm the departure time. Professional!!

Its massage is the best massage I have never had. I have totally relaxed myself there. Welcome drinks and towel are given before and after the massage, which is what I need. During the massage, that massage therapist asked whether the pressure is ok. Good service. Cool!! Before the massage, they would give you a form asking you what kind of position of your body you would like them to focus on. Further to this, they would ask you if you have any medical concerns, which you are not advised to do massage. Before you leave the massage room, they would give you a survey to collect your opinion of the massage in order to improve its service. It's totally professional and great service. Brilliant!!

Restaurant is good and food and drinks choices are enough. Servers working there were helpful, friendly and caring. They would give you an ashtray if they found you are smoker. Wi-Fi is covered there. Good!!

Room service works efficiently.

Two swimming pools are comfortable and the water temperature is just perfect. There are several workers working there. They look cool and serious but in fact, I found out that they are helpful and care your personal comfort and security. Indeed, I found out they were not cool later^^!! At the beach side, those workers are just like those who work at the swimming pools, friendly, helpful and caring.

Every staff is helpful, friendly, caring, warm and smiley. Some travellers may concern about personal security inside the hotel. Honestly, you do not have to worry about that as outside people cannot access to the hotel premises as there is just one entrance to get to the hotel and that entrance has two security checks. In addition, walls are built surrounding the hotel.

There are several things that I think the hotel may improve:

First of all, Wi-Fi signal is just too weak. I can just connect to Internet at the balcony but cannot do it in my room. Secondly, renovation of the bathroom and lift is needed. Thirdly, there is no hotel water in the shower. It is just a little bit warm. Fourthly, I would recommend them to place safety box in every single room so that I do not have to put my valuable items at Front Desk every time I go out or go to the beach.

The last thing is I got and left the hotel by hotel limousine and I found that those two limousine drivers have not fastened their seat belt before moving the car. I know it will not affect my safety but I do concern about their safety.

Overall, I pretty enjoy my stay at this hotel. I must recommend this hotel to my friends when they plan to go to Cebu. Once again, I would like to send my kind regards, appreciation and thank you to everyone of this hotel, especially to Ms. Femila and Ms. Grace. Thank you so much!!!!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend people to reserve premier room as the view will be much better. Indeed, high floor...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Mr. Felix C.,

We are happy to know that you had a wonderful experience at Costabella. Thank you for the kind words.
Indeed our Team remains the pride of the Resort. They take pleasure in assisting every need of our guests from the moment our guests arrive to the moment they depart. More than anything else, they genuinely care.

We appreciate your suggestions and we shall be discussing these with our team to further improve and satisfy our guest experience even better.

Yours in hospitality,

MARITA A. ARAMBULO

Reviewed 22 October 2012

we are actually booked in a city hotel but a day before our travel to cebu we happened to browse costabella beach resort and decided to have our ocular prior to checking in our city hotel. upon arrival in costabella the manager assisted us for a show room and even offered to us their promo rate which is almost 50% of their published rate.

seeing the nice view of the beach and very accommodating staff we've decided to stay there for 3D/2N stay with my family. it was indeed a nice vacation we had, the hotel is away from the city that you could even feel the true meaning of vacation and relaxation. the breakfast for 2 days was definitely mouthwatering.

the kids enjoyed their vacation as well as their grandparents.. though if you plan to have a city tour you should have your private car service to really appreciate everything and glad we had one.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
CTBH, Marketing Officer at Costabella Tropical Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2012

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and experienced the warm hospitality of our Team which is truly our pride.
Please visit us again soon!

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Costabella is actually one of the nicest hotel in Mactan Island. Less expensive than Plantation Bay and White Sand Maribago but it's along that same road/area. Great breakfast buffet. The only thing that bothered me a bit was the Korean nationals guests are with very young Filipina girlfriends....I guess the owner of the hotel allows it. That would make it less of a family hotel...

To get around, you would have to have your own transportation or wait for a cab for about 15 to 30 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank levideguzman

Thank you for your feedback, we are glad you enjoyed our hotel and breakfast buffet.
We do pride ourselves in being very family centered and do what we possibly can to maintain a wholesome atmosphere.  The hotel requires proper identification document upon check-in and will seriously look into your concern.