“Absolutely loved it but needed longer in Amsterdam”
Review of DFDS

DFDS
More attraction details
Owner description: DFDS is the World's Leading Ferry Operator ​- Offering frequent ferry crossings​ to Europe, a wide range of onboard facilities and low fares. With ferries to France and Holland​ and mini cruises to Amsterdam, b​ook now and start your holiday with DFDS.​
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We did the mini cruise from North Sheilds to Amsterdam earlier this week. We paid a bit extra for a double room with sea view, but we were on the 6th deck away from any engine noise, which was great. Our cabin was spotless, the buffet evening meal in the explorers kitchen had so much variety, (book it in advance to save about 50%). The bars and shops were expensive, (as expected). We stuck to beer, €5 a pint. There is a vending machine on deck 6 where you can purchase coke, Fanta etc for €2 a can. We had no delays at all, but still only had from 11am to 3.30pm in Amsterdam. On reflection we wish we had booked a night or two over there before we returned! We also booked the tour bus and canal boats in advance and used them to get around Amsterdam whilst we were there. Take cold drinks and snacks onto the boat if you want to save money. Next time we will book a hotel in Amsterdam for a couple of nights before we return, even so, we loved our little trip from start to finish. We booked through groupon, upgraded to a better standard of cabin, and then booked 2 evening meals, and 1 breakfast each on the boat. Total cost £75 each, which we thought was great value for money. Park your car in the pub next to the port to save yourself £12 a day in parking fees!

1  Thank Phil_Hannah
DFDSUK, Manager at DFDS, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi Phil thanks for your great review, we're so pleased you enjoyed your trip you've added some great tips. We look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.

DFDS Customer care

Write a ReviewReviews (1,438)
All reviews
in 16 reviews
"earlier ferry"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I didn’t know what to expect after reading the bad reviews on here but me and my friends were pleasantly surprised. The ferry went on time and we had a really calm crossing. The cabins were adequate, especially for what we paid in a Group On offer. The only reason I haven’t given a 5 star review is due to the extortionate bar prices!!! Eye watering €7.99 for a 15cl glass of red wine (that was the cheapest!!). Really no need to charge so much it leaves a bad taste with people. Luckily we had read about the prices so took our own and sneaked it into the bar. I know you’re not supposed to but what do they expect?? The food at the buffet was lovely, couldn’t fault it plenty of choice. The return journey we booked at the A La Carte restaurant and had the steak which was delicious plus a bottle of red at €32.

DFDSUK, Manager at DFDS, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi thanks for your review i'm so pleased you enjoyed trip, we hope to welcome you on-board again in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Excellent trip
exceeded all my expectations and stories ive heard by far.
Top points which i never read;
Take a European travel plug (only plug sockets on board) and you only get 1 per cabin so take a extension lead.
Take euros to spend on board my card was charged £1.50on top of costs per transaction
Take a ipad or tablet something to watch tv or music on as non suplied in cabin.
Also no kettle etc in cabin either so travel kettle would be handy
Hide ur alcohol well. everyone's suitcase and bag was scannes and opened and searched on way to Amsterdam at North Shields terminal. you were given it back on return journey when we for back but total shock as your allowed to drink your own duty free etc on board but not in vars.
I have taken a picture of the prices of drinks in Dec 9 club. we spent both nights in here was fab great music band and bingo and dance floor. Over dec 7 to 9 3 floors there was a number of bars, coffee shops, duty free, casino, arcades, chill out areas.
We paid £123 for 2 ppl in a cabin with see view bunk beds cant fault it for price at all 2 nights, transport and 5 hours in Amsterdam. Yes there are a few pointers that could be improved but for the money how i don't know. Also everyone Winfield on board is expensive well £5 a pint i can say you can pay that on holiday and in some pubs and restaurants at home so for us didn't seem to pricey as such. obviously a bonus if you can get some on board too.
Return journey we got a few bottles on as we had no security no bag search etc on return journey. Honestly if your reading this thinking of going my advice is go! we'll definitely be going back this year.

5  Thank chelsea-dee
DFDSUK, Manager at DFDS, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Hi thanks for your great review, we're so pleased you enjoyed your trip we'll look forward to welcoming you on-board again soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My family and I, which includes my husband, 4 year old daughter and mother, travelled on the DFDS mini-cruise recently. We all loved it and had a great experience. I want to say a special thank you to Pavel from the customer relations phone lines. My daughter had her birthday while on board and he was kind enough to fix the booking so that she would have the infant rate as she was 3 when we boarded. I didn't know what to expect because some of the reviews I've read were dreadful. But I have to say I thought the ship looked great. Yes, it was probably a bit dated but it was clean with plenty of staff always cleaning and keeping busy. Our cabin was small but comfortable and if you use the space under the bunk beds to store your cases it helps to create space. The first night was a bit rocky and bothered my husband's stomach but he brought sea sickness pills that really helped him. The rest of us were fine with the motion of the ship and I had one of the best sleeps in a long time the second night. The staff were friendly and ready to give a helping hand. I will say that the staff at the customer service desk appeared tired and didn't have the same enthusiasm. But what they do is hard work. I guess maybe we were one of the lucky ones as we left after 10:30am and had until 3pm to sight see. There was the option to depart at 4pm but with a small child you have to keep things simple. Of course the way the guests were departed from the boat really needs to be revised. But for us all in all we didn't have to wait too long to board the bus. Amsterdam is very clean and practical. It seems that everyone can speak English which helps of course. We found our way around very easily but regret that I didn't research more on things to see and do or the best places to eat while there. Anyway, whilst on the ship I thought the amenities were brilliant. The Explorers kitchen buffet was excellent with lots of choices. If you are vegan or vegetarian you haven't been forgotten. My daughter enjoyed the play area and spent most of her time there. I would say it is suitable for kids up to 7. There are nice areas to sit and relax. Honestly I only have a few complaints. I believe there is a card that you can get to pre-pay drinks. If there is it wasn't advertised well. I think considering the price paid for the buffet a complimentary drink should be given. However, you can ask for tap water if you don't want to pay for drinks. When leaving the ship it was chaotic and a bit dangerous. Maybe departing guests deck by deck might be safer. I give DFDS min-cruise to Amsterdam a 4 out of 5 stars and will definitely travel with them again.

3  Thank Shelley G
DFDSUK, Manager at DFDS, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Shelley

Thanks for your review, we're so pleased you had a great experience on your mini cruise. We hope your daughter enjoyed her birthday and hope to see you again soon.