US$197
US$151
Capo Bay Hotel(Protaras)
US$214
  • Pool
Coralli Spa Resort(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$133
  • Pool
Astreas Beach Hotel Apartments(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$366
US$186
US$176
US$98
US$73
US$73
US$132
  • Pool
Anais Bay Hotel(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$99
Bookcyprus.com
  • Breakfast included
Andreotis(Protaras)(Great Value!)
US$62
1,827 results
All reviewshalf boardnext yearmr tsokkosevening entertainmentindoor poolentertainment teamgreat holidaysea viewplenty of choicetwo weeksbuilding worksandy beachbit datedbar staffbeach barplenty of sunbedsvisited this hotel
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I returned one week ago from this hotel with a husband struck down by something more than likely picked up from the hotel breakfast cold buffet (he only ever eats continental) given the circumstances and knowing what we all ate from where and when on the last few days….. The more I think about the following and what I saw within and around the hotel the more its annoyed me and makes me think its definitely where he became ill….
This was a holiday very kindly gifted to us as part of a family celebration and we were super excited to be coming to Protaras having previously holidayed in Paphos at the Annabelle 2016 (my review is on TA from 2016) and Aquamare 2008. Our parents were staying in the Sunrise Beach as part of a large wedding party. This isn’t going to be a comparison between the two but what I saw at “5 star” CTG was non-existent in the officially 4 star SB and within 20 seconds of taking a tour with them of the SB and their room it became apparent that the SB is by far superior to what’s advertised at CTG - having a discerning clientele in clean, elegant, understated and organised surroundings.
CTG from the start
The acknowledgement from the two female reception staff on arrival was confusing. I wasn’t sure what job they were supposed to be doing or if they were checking us in or not after a lot of faffing and chatting between themselves in either Russian or German. After over ten minutes I managed to access my room key and realise we were checked in and free to go, but not allowed with my passport until “tomorrow” I was firmly told. I emailed the day before arrival to request a top floor room (fair enough may have been short notice) but to date I have no response. A party of 3 (couple in mid-30’s and single brother in mid-40’s) we were given interconnecting rooms 207 & 209 on ‘floor 2’ (which does not correspond to the numbered lift buttons).
Not that we mind carrying our own bags at all but compared with other hotels we’ve been to of lesser rating there was no sign of any porter for bags considering the CTG star rating.
The first wobbly experience was the lifts. We understood about the refurb – only from reading here on TA – but the lifts were dirty and noisy and took an age to arrive. They clearly hadn’t been taken care of in the refurb. The thick new carpets outside the lifts were soiled and not vacuumed. This was the first time I walked past the same piece of what seemed to be kebab meat for 3 days before it was moved. Later in a similar public place there was residue from what could have been a wedding bouquet that had been left decaying in the heat.
The initial impression of our refurbed room was fine after checking that the handkerchief-looking heap of cloth on the bedside table was a pillowcase – fresh or used I’m not sure. As the room facilities were used in turn some issues became apparent. The bathroom sink and taps were not clean – the tap hadn’t been polished as you would expect on arrival in any hotel room, with soap and water stains covering it. There were no tissues in the designated holder so had to ask for a box from the maid the following morning. After a shower the floor literally became a paddling pool due to no seal under the shower screen. To avoid it you needed to position the shower so it could literally spray on to the wall the furthest point away from the screen. The paddling pool then caused a knock-on effect with having to use towels to mop up the excess in order to prevent from slipping on the super shiny tiled floor throughout the rooms – hub and I nearly went over many times in here and the new room. Aside from these issues I concluded after about 20 minutes from arriving the view was the final nail so I requested if I could have a higher floor closer to the pool as the 2nd floor position of room 209 overlooked the car park where all the tourist coaches pull up right outside the balcony along with a disused stagnant swimming pool from a horror-show block of apartments across the courtyard. Brother-in-law reported many issues with his safe, fridge, door lock mechanism and such.
As my mother in law didn’t pay for us to have this “view” for a week of well yearned-for relaxation and as this same discerning lady has taught me to never accept the first room provided in any hotel you’ve paid good money for, I enquired at reception who were slightly more helpful this time, therefore fast forward about 18 hours and I was assisted by Elias the GM (lovely warm welcome from him each day – a rare credit to the hotel) and were offered, escorted and relocated to a brand new top floor room with the touch-panel lighting/curtain etc. I had no prior knowledge of these facilities before moving; I was simply happy to be moving to a better view and also to allow us as a couple and my brother in law our respective privacy from each other and our interconnecting rooms. Upon using the facilities it was apparent this room (417) however was no cleaner than 209 and had hairs/water/soap residue etc. in most places the same as the first. There was plaster splattered onto the new light fitting and residue/staining on the dressing table which looked like dried superglue. The balcony table was sticky and dusty. The room itself was bright and modern with most facilities you would want from a 5* hotel however the maintenance and cleanliness didn’t ever match up to a standard expected. The bathroom was larger, brighter and more modern with a large walk-in shower however the towel rail and toilet roll holder were about to fall off while pencil markings littered the newly installed tiles clearly from when they had been installed by the fitter calculating sizes etc.
In 417 (bearing in mind this floor did not exist 12 months ago and has been built on top of the existing hotel and observing the externals you would struggle to tell) this new room was where I first became privy to how about 95% of the new push-flush panels behind all toilets in all public area bathrooms were either loose/ non-existent/ on the floor, or fitted with a gap keeping the cutting of the tiles they were supposed to cover and inner mechanics, visible.
As well as the fixtures and fittings the most shocking discovery was the pool toilet/shower building which links to hygiene in general at CTG. A potentially superb facility with modern shower rooms and décor but the most unhygienic place in the hotel where I’m sure germs would spread quickly.
I don’t fully blame CTG for the completely unacceptable state of waste toilet paper, muck and sewerage that was left behind in these areas as it is ultimately guests in the hotel use these facilities, and anybody who has been to Greece/Turkey/Cyprus will know that soiled paper goes into the waste bin and not the toilet bowl, but coupled with how these people obviously haven’t been educated in their respective countries to clean up after themselves per se or report anything unclean, and along with these facilities obviously going unchecked and uncleaned by the hotel staff, this can only lead to disaster and disgruntlement of British guests such as myself.
After a couple of days I reported the state of one of these poolside cubicles to reception and they were cleaned up after about 4 hours. As a general rule in one particular cubicle on one day the flush pad was fixed to the wall, the next it was back on the floor or shelf and so on. One day I refused to use either cubicle within the poolside building so gave up and hiked further to the set of toilets on the lower ground floor in the corner of the main building – they were only slightly better but as there was more of them you have more chance of eventually finding a cleaner or functioning toilet and cubicle. The paint work in here was clearly rushed as the wooden frames did not match the rest of the new grey colour. To conclude this toilet matter ironically, and while apologising about having to go into detail, I did find any toilet brushes that I did need to use, to be new and clean. They must have been recently replaced, but in conjunction with the observations noted above and elsewhere – obviously unused. The pedal bins either did not function as required, were unpolished or were far too small leaving used paper spilling on to the floor on many occasions. It’s not the best when you have to work out a way of having to manually open a pedal bin for the reason it’s being used knowing a thousand before you have had to do the same, before even washing their hands. Many newly installed taps were lose and not connected but you only knew that after trying them.
As we waited for the pick-up for the return flight I found another set of toilets that are brand new (behind the new bar yet to be completed) within the extension of the reception area that goes towards the Vrissiani beach hotel – this area was built on top of the indoor pool area. But my goodness I was shocked that this area of the hotel had only opened end April 2018 due to the upkeep/snagging/dirt that was evident within these facilities.

The towel policy is strange – in any hotel anywhere in the world and 7 cruise ships and counting that give beach towels I’ve never ever seen a policy where they can only be changed 3 days in the week (Mon, Wed & Fri at CTG). This is a health and safety issue and a chance for germs to spread. If people are not cleaning up after themselves properly after using the toilets and the cleaners are not cleaning up after those people properly, then those people are then sitting on towels for up to 3 days in that heat……… you do the maths. I began writing this review 2 days after we returned during my lunchbreak – and it put me off the remainder of my lunch while hub was still off sick at home having only been able to manage 2 slices of bread and sip water since getting on the plane.
We didn’t witness any security in the hotel or Protaras beach in general and CTG is open enough for anybody to walk into its grounds and pool. We did see 3 teenage girls chased away by one of the pool attendants (they weren’t there to serve drinks to you from the bar) for them to return after who looked like the head honcho turned a blind eye. We also witnessed cash being taken from the public to use the pool sunbeds in the same way you would do on a public beach.
There was never an issue in securing a bed around the pool itself, but if you wanted one on the grassy area ‘front line’ off the beach prom you would need to fight those who live in that massive country in north east Europe that’s currently hosting the football World Cup for those very early in the morning.
Food and mealtimes.
The first night for dinner was a bunfight at 7pm with children and people of all nationalities barging everywhere. We concluded that if we arrived nearer 8pm this would reduce and it did. It is of course not CTG fault about the manners of fellow diners and their children. A tip for my fellow British tourist who has paid good money to holiday here: please leave it until well after 7.30pm to arrive in the dining room and I always recommend a table outside. Drinks orders were taken and arrived quickly by friendly waiters. We agreed it would be good for staff to speak Russian here. The view on the outside dinner terrace was lovely at dusk. The food itself was good quality and very tasty when you found something that you liked, but that wasn’t the case each evening – choice and variety was hit and miss. We ate external to the hotel twice – I would have eaten out more if we were there longer than a week due to the many nice restaurants in Protaras. What let the dining experience down was the lack of presentation and communication around the dishes. Some nights most dishes were labelled, but when some weren’t, which meant another hygiene risk due to the constant opening and closing of handles to see what was inside the dish. This meant I never ate bread on an evening. Counter tops and spoons were not cleaned of spills. The local ‘chef special’ was never labelled in detail but mostly turned out to be the best dish of the buffet – surely they’re missing a trick there. In the 5 nights I didn’t touch the salads or cold desserts either due to them being uncovered and knowing what I was seeing about how the guests of all ages liked to deal with their toilet manners. However they looked tasty and fresh but I wasn’t going to risk it. The dinner buffet area is very small compared to breakfast which covers a larger area in the room below. This would not have helped with the barging and lack of queuing and courtesy as the British are accustomed to.
Breakfast food was fine with a very large choice covering local, continental and English. Paul French the English chef serves the loveliest fresh omelettes to order, with speed, care and manners. Aside from the carving of the (very good) roast meat at dinner time this was the only thing that was cooked/prepared to order. I always managed to have at least a 2-course breakfast compared to sticking to one hot main course in the evening. The staff were efficient clearing plates and tables but the atmosphere created was not of 5 star – having dance music booming around the internal and external breakfast area.
I’m unsure what else to write about the hotel as we didn’t stay around on an evening for any entertainment being in a party of others from other hotels but what entertainment I did see during the day provided by the young and friendly Thomas Cook team was enthusiastic and engaging, although more likely to entertain children and those not wanting to get away from it all (please go to the Annabelle for this).
The view out the back of the hotel isn’t the same as the front (looking towards Fig Tree Bay) so if you get a room on that side (looking towards Pernera) please ask for as high as possible as those on the first two floors would deserve their money back as it’s like a rubbish tip out there. To see it – and you might thank me for it as the lifts are a slow, noisy nightmare – use one of the three sets of stairs to go down rather than call the lift and you will surely agree.
I guess there’s work to be finished but any I did see was carried out in a stereotypical ‘rustic’ and unrushed manner. There was no information/apology from reception nor in the room about it happening, Jet2 didn’t inform us either. Thinking about it any information about the hotel was given to us on a poor quality photocopied side of A4 paper. All I can think (or hope) is there is going to have to be a very long snagging list when works are deemed complete as there’s a lot of toilet panels and fittings in that hotel to be sorted out let alone any bigger or other things I wasn’t privy to. I do not agree that toilet use/cleanliness is excused by there being a refurb happening.
As for the pool in front of reception; that is one big health hazard – one day it was green with sludge floating on top of it – right in front of the new shiny reception area. What a lovely impression. I think the godforsaken apartments that overlook it and need knocking down are managed by Tsokkos group as the same towels and guests are seen coming and going from there to CTG. Please just empty it and cover it as nobody ever used it even with sun loungers around it. I have included this in the review due to the link with the company and proximity to CTG. It does not give a good impression at all.
With regard to fire safety – please see point 2 in the review from Danny S of Leeds a couple of reviews below this. We were there on the same night and I agree with everything said there.
Some may say I should have complained and spoke to the manager or reception. Some of it was company policy (towels) but as I was on holiday enjoying the warm sunshine and the relaxed state of mind from the daily massage from Anna in the booth immediately in front of the CTG beach bar (one of the three ladies wearing the white ‘Babes Club’ vests) the last thing I felt like was sitting inside attempting to vent through a language barrier about hygiene and beach towels; I got on with doing the best for me at the time and reporting it when it had been clearly got out of control, and avoiding it so to not waste any more of my precious 6 days away having to deal with it or look at it. At least I knew where to find a clean toilet in my own room.
Knowing the hotel had been open after refurb since 28th April I was shocked. The old version of the property does look completely different – all fur coat and no knickers at present I’d conclude. I hope those new balconies and glass panels haven’t been installed in the same way at the toilet panels and bathroom fittings….
Nothing above spoiled my holiday in general once I knew what to avoid where and when, and the location of CTG is fantastic. I would return to Protaras if a BB package in another hotel with a separate adults only pool was right as the restaurants on and around the main street are lovely (See my review for Andama).
I would worry about pregnant women coming here due to slipping and hygiene hazards.
And finally; that artists impression of the pool area on the website? Dream on!

Room Tip: Top floor on side that faces FTB and as close to pool/sea as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Rooms
Pool area

Negatives
Amateurish staff with zero interest in customer service - Examples
1. Check-in after 12 hours travel with heavily pregnant partner and 18 month son. Frosty welcome and were not offered any help to carry 5 suitcases / pram to room on 4th floor. Speechless..

2. Fire alarm sounds loudly one evening at 7pm so get family dressed and walk down 5 flights of stairs. Once at the base of the hotel see people coming in and out of the hotel. Walk into the hotel reception area to understand what is going on. Approach reception and ask “Is this a genuine alarm?” To be told “we don’t know”.. No management to support reception staff as alarm pounds out so walk into buffet restaurant and are told “Well I’m still hear sir so don’t worry”.. After 30 minutes a member of management tells us it’s just an issue with the alarm. I tell him the communication has been non-existent and staff don’t know what is going on. He says they do as the reception staff look at us both blank. We go back to our room and get dressed with the fire alarm pounding out. Completely unacceptable!

3. After day 1 we requested new towels (having used them 3 times) and reception tell us they will send some up. Half an hour later no towels. After 3 further calls over 1.5hrs still no towels so go downstairs to reception and complain to manager (24hrs in & awful service so give him feedback) Sense Manager doesn’t really understand where I’m coming from and tells me towels are now in my room. Get back to my room and my partner is laughing as 3 handkerchief sized towels have been sent up! Wow..

4. Order a soft drink and cocktail from a bar. Get the coke and barman says give me 2 minutes to get the cocktail. Wait for 15 and then told to go to another bar and walks off. Why not tell me that when I ordered as opposed to waiting in the burning mid-day sun as my son screams in the distance? Wow..

5. No hot water on an evening so family take cold showers. Tell reception on way out to dinner told “Don’t worry - The whole hotel had no hot water but it will be sorted tomorrow”.. Wow..

THE FOOD IS HORRENDOUS

Breakfast is ok but make sure you are down there and finished long before 10am as everything is stripped away well in advance of this time. Very limited selection of fruits, awful coffee and even basics such as scrambled eggs / baked beans are board-line edible.

Dinner is a disaster. We went on our first evening and was completely underwhelmed with the choice and blandness of the food. We gave it the benefit of doubt (as we were tired from travelling) and went back a second night. It was even worse than the first. My partner tried some “Chinese” themed food only to leave it all. I was limited to some bread as could not muster any enthusiasm to try any of the other food. Online mentioned buffet restaurant with “show cooking” not really sure that a chef carving some meat would come under this category but this is all they had as an extra to the basic buffet selection.

Having spoken to other English families the general view was “Decent hotel - Terrible food”.. Very few English people had dinner at the hotel. Those that did looked angry and eat little. One younger couple accurately described it as “Slop” and furiously left without eating anything.

Our family has travelled to many places and stayed at a variety of 3-5* hotels - We have never had such horrendous food to the point we hardly eat here.

Other issues - It’s 2018 and we are having to pay for WIFi.. Really? Safe - Extra. Fridge - Extra. Upgrade to a la Carte - €40 per person per day. A complete rip off - Please do not do this before seeing the dining options. 3 of the 4 are on site on areas next to the buffet (serving the same food) & the other is a restaurant on the Main Street accurately described as “Having the ambience of 1970s bus stop” by another review on here. We walked past every night and never saw anybody eating here!

I would only stay at this hotel again knowing we would have to eat out 3 times a day which can be expensive, considering you are paying for half board. The investment in the hotel has created the foundations of a good standard place however the service and dreadful food are a real let down. The hotel group need to wake up and address these issues before people vote with their feet and stay at other established hotels in the area! As a result their investment delivers zero return medium - long term.

* On hearing my complaints after day 1 the “manager” offered our family an upgraded lunch (next to the buffet area with the same food). A nice gesture but a touch underwhelming. The whole team need retraining on the art of customer service!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
8  Thank Danny S
Reviewed 18 June 2018

This is our second visit returning because we so loved it the first time round. I understand the hotel has been purchased by the Russians and has had a revamp. Building work was still going on with drilling and maintenance much in evidence every day. Air conditioning didn’t work for two days in our room and in 30 degree heat this was just unacceptable in a supposedly five star hotel. Food was varied but never ever hot and plates always cold. The worst of all was the fact that there were were so very many children who completely ran riot throughout the hotel every night. You were pushed and shoved in the meal queues and it was absolutely disgusting the way hotel guests filled their bags with food to take outside so in effect all inclusive guests are subsidising the other tariff paying guests. Reception staff were non friendly and need to smile much more. Evening entertainment geared round the children with amateur slots for the adults. Glorified kareoke at best. Only good thing is the location which is just about perfect and the new swimming pool with loads of sun beds. I would say this is now a three star hotel at best and a glorified up market Butlins. Back to adult only holidays and Sentido Toucan in Majorca. The gentleman who greeted the guests in the dining area and the staff in the poolside bar were the hotels redeeming assets. Will not be returning. Such a shame to see the standards fall like this.

Room Tip: The top floor is new with digital controls for everything but you have to wait ages for the lifts
Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Valerie T
Reviewed 18 June 2018

The hotel is undergoing development work and the areas where this has been done are lovely. Pool area and recpetion/bar is superb. But the rooms are a let down - poorly finished with old fittings, including an old hairdryer that was useless. My son was also given a broken camp bed to sleep on - not quite the 5* we were expecting. We had problems with the air conditioning which seems to be a common problem and although this was sorted quickly, staff were not very helpful. In particularly reception staff did not seem to want to help and at times were rude. Thankfully our jet2 rep was available to intervene. The food was also disappointing and not very varied. We have been to this hotel before and were realy impressed but unfortunately the recent poor reviews on here were accurate and we won't be returning to this hotel. I also feel we should have been told about the building work going on as it was quite noisy and not very relaxing at times.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Jet2holidays
4  Thank francesmoulden
Reviewed 14 June 2018

Okay here we go.
At the outset let me just say this:- The staff at this hotel were nothing but nice and courteous and did their level best to give us a great experience, every member of staff from the Managers to the Cleaners and all in between.
But, the underlying problem here is that THEY have been let down themselves, by either an ill prepared refurbishment, or a budget influenced rethink or both.
So they are in an awkward position of having to bare the brunt of problems the best they can, problems not of their making.

We made the best of this eleven night holiday, the saviour being the weather, best possible scenario for us, dawn to dusk hot sunshine, decent pool to cool down in when required (not the one we expected-the artists impression was wrong).
We took full advantage of the beach, a few times, which is beautifully clean, just a step away from the sunbeds, i even had to do my Dudley Moore impression a couple of times, as the sand gets very hot.
The boardwalk was great for an evening walk or walk through town which was busy and bustling at night.
Ladislav the waiter in the Atrium Bar was our star - 1st night (arrival time 11pm), he cottoned on to our tipple and kept them coming, and never forgot all holiday.
The cook at the snack bar near the pool, Paul (i think) and the barman (forgot name), both need a mention - excellent, the cook (british) made me feel ashamed of not pursuing languages at comprehensive school, when he was speaking fluent Greek.

This was however a underwhelming experience, a big let down.
The easiest way to conclude it is, we think they reopened 4 to 6 weeks or more too early.
As other reviewers have mentioned, there was/is ongoing refurb work going on, often very loudly (last few days up to 80Db when they were drilling and putting up some kind of netting-measured on a sound meter).
The room next to ours was still being done up, and a couple of mornings we awoken by the tiler at 7-30am, they were on a time table, as we found out they soon occupied it the day it was finished.
It has obviously been a rush to finish all over, with little or no quality control and no snagging done, they overall finish in some areas is poor. We also had to Complain about the airconditioner several times (leaking water or just not working).

Food:- Our opinion is, that the food is aimed primarily at Russian Nationals, we cannot agree with those who say it was great, it simply wasn't, but what can one do? Having paid "all inclusive" we just had to make the best of it. It certainly was not of sufficient standard to compare with our previous numerous visits to Cyprus, which have all been good food ranging from quite good to excellent.

Here's the clincher for a spoilt holiday though, Sparrows in the Restaurant and Atrium.
This subject will now possibly put a face (my wifes), to this review for the rep, manager or others that got involved.
She has a severe Phobia for Birds, and it was heartbreaking for me to sit at breakfast on her birthday, and see the sudden fear in her, at seeing her distraught and panic stricken when sparrows were all over the restaurant.
The end result of complaining was removal of a nest in the foyer, but not the other three (or more) elsewhere agreeing to put the restaurant doors on auto close instead of open all the time and to allow us to have breakfast and lunch in another empty restaurant.

Apparently the whole building was open to colonization by sparrows whilst the major elements of the refurb was being done, and they simply, have struggled to control it now it's open to public.

I don't know no what else to say, but repeat the staff were great,
and Cyprus is great.

Don't be fooled by the "artist's impression picture's", i might post some real picture's later.
Best regards
Trev n Chris

Room Tip: Full Sea view Rooms are best
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple