This was my second trip in 3 months to Maldives and I spent quite a bit of time selecting this resort. I needed somewhere close to Male and this resort certainly ticks that box, being around 15 minutes to the airport and about 20 to Male. I had concerns this would ruin the experience but it actually didn't bother me at all. You can see Male - in the distance - and planes arrive and depart the airport fairly infrequently, so this did not turn out to be an issue.
Views from the other parts of the island are quite nice but not as nice as from some islands BUT there are still lovely! If you prefer a more remote feel, this probably isn't the resort for you though.
SFM is a very nice island indeed and has very well established plant life and some lovely horticulture. I thought it was a very well laid out and it was pleasant to walk around. The beaches were always quiet with only a few people lying around, so they never feel busy. The weather was incredibly clear and warm during our visit, so I expect this is one of the reasons the beaches were virtually empty.
We stayed in a water bungalow, which was very well appointed and extremely clean. There was a nice deck area (facing North West) and it was easy to jump into the sea and snorkel close to the island. The snorkeling was good - plenty of interesting marine life to see and calm, shallow waters. Snorkeling kit was USD$12 a day, so if you're plannig on staying a while, take your own! There was internet available in the room but this was typically slow for the Maldives. There was a well stocked minibar and a little wine cooler, which was a nice touch but with a bottle of water (500ml) costing USD$6.50, I didn't bother with the wine.
The bathroom was a decent size and had a nice outlook. There were 2 sinks and a nice bath but the actual WC was tiny. One word of warning - the floor can be extremely slippery when wet - I got totally owned by the floor when I stood on a wet patch. I complained to the hotel and pointed out they should have signs but this fell on deaf ears.
One of the things which attracted me to this resort was the selection of different places to eat, which can be lacking in other resorts in Maldives. There were, I think, 6 restaurants in total but nothing prepared me for the price of food here. The first day we arrived, we opted for the BBQ lunch in the bar - USD$40 each, before drinks. We also went on a fishing trip and the hotel offered to cook the fish we caught - USD$40 per fish. The dinner buffet was (if I remember correctly) USD$55 per person. We also tried the 'fine dining' restaurant and ended up paying USD$300 for 2 people (with only one bottle of wine). This is all well and good but neither the food or service lived up to such high prices. There are other resorts in Maldives which are just as nice but which don't charge such crazy prices for food. This is the one aspect of my stay which left me with something of a bad taste in my mouth, which is a shame because there really is no need to charge such high prices for relatively simple cuisine.
In conclusion I would say SFM is a very nice resort indeed but unfortunately, a reality check is needed on the food and beverage prices. This was the one aspect of my stay which would discourage me from recommending SFM to anybody, although I thought almost every other aspect of the place was excellent. I've been to Maldives enough times to know it can be expensive but when you are talking about USD$300 a day on fairly simple food and beverage (for 2 people), then that is going too far. Shame.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa is situated on it's own private island surrounded by tropical landscaping and turquoise lagoons. With 176 guest rooms reflecting the tropical destination featuring the Sheraton Signature Bed. Facing the sunrise with spectacular views of the Indian Ocean are 20 Ocean Villas offer large bathrooms, comfortable living spaces and luxurious outdoor living areas complete with infinity edge plunge pools.Sheraton Maldives is just a 20-minute boat ride from Velena International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort And Spa
- Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Hotel North Male Atoll
- Full Moon Maldives
- Full Moon Hotel Maldives
- Full Moon Resort Maldives