“Nice island but food and drink are stupid prices”

Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Reviewed 20 May 2009

This was my second trip in 3 months to Maldives and I spent quite a bit of time selecting this resort. I needed somewhere close to Male and this resort certainly ticks that box, being around 15 minutes to the airport and about 20 to Male. I had concerns this would ruin the experience but it actually didn't bother me at all. You can see Male - in the distance - and planes arrive and depart the airport fairly infrequently, so this did not turn out to be an issue.

Views from the other parts of the island are quite nice but not as nice as from some islands BUT there are still lovely! If you prefer a more remote feel, this probably isn't the resort for you though.

SFM is a very nice island indeed and has very well established plant life and some lovely horticulture. I thought it was a very well laid out and it was pleasant to walk around. The beaches were always quiet with only a few people lying around, so they never feel busy. The weather was incredibly clear and warm during our visit, so I expect this is one of the reasons the beaches were virtually empty.

We stayed in a water bungalow, which was very well appointed and extremely clean. There was a nice deck area (facing North West) and it was easy to jump into the sea and snorkel close to the island. The snorkeling was good - plenty of interesting marine life to see and calm, shallow waters. Snorkeling kit was USD$12 a day, so if you're plannig on staying a while, take your own! There was internet available in the room but this was typically slow for the Maldives. There was a well stocked minibar and a little wine cooler, which was a nice touch but with a bottle of water (500ml) costing USD$6.50, I didn't bother with the wine.

The bathroom was a decent size and had a nice outlook. There were 2 sinks and a nice bath but the actual WC was tiny. One word of warning - the floor can be extremely slippery when wet - I got totally owned by the floor when I stood on a wet patch. I complained to the hotel and pointed out they should have signs but this fell on deaf ears.

One of the things which attracted me to this resort was the selection of different places to eat, which can be lacking in other resorts in Maldives. There were, I think, 6 restaurants in total but nothing prepared me for the price of food here. The first day we arrived, we opted for the BBQ lunch in the bar - USD$40 each, before drinks. We also went on a fishing trip and the hotel offered to cook the fish we caught - USD$40 per fish. The dinner buffet was (if I remember correctly) USD$55 per person. We also tried the 'fine dining' restaurant and ended up paying USD$300 for 2 people (with only one bottle of wine). This is all well and good but neither the food or service lived up to such high prices. There are other resorts in Maldives which are just as nice but which don't charge such crazy prices for food. This is the one aspect of my stay which left me with something of a bad taste in my mouth, which is a shame because there really is no need to charge such high prices for relatively simple cuisine.

In conclusion I would say SFM is a very nice resort indeed but unfortunately, a reality check is needed on the food and beverage prices. This was the one aspect of my stay which would discourage me from recommending SFM to anybody, although I thought almost every other aspect of the place was excellent. I've been to Maldives enough times to know it can be expensive but when you are talking about USD$300 a day on fairly simple food and beverage (for 2 people), then that is going too far. Shame.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
37  Thank endofcity
Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 8 May 2009

The hotel is very good and beautiful and the island it is situated on is wonderful. The water in Maldives is just outstanding.

The problem is with the service. The people of the hotel are just too cheap and rude. Everything is frightfully expensive (food, travel) and the staff never smiles and does not want to even listen to your requests. We had to fight with them to get a room of our choice (we were given a room with a nasty view despite the fact that we paid and booked a sea facing room).

The hotel is now bought by Sheraton but that still does not change anything as such. The duty manager Mr.Mohammad is very sly and unhelpful.

The hotel is cheap and if you are prepared for very very expensive food and travel (the staff charges over $300 to leave the island!!) then consider staying here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mrijay
Reviewed 6 May 2009

My wife and I spend 10 nights on a 2nd honeymoon, in a Water Villa. This was our first time in the Maldives, and booked the Full Moon as we are SPG members. We however booked through Kuoni as the price differential between a tour operator and booking direct with Sheraton was huge - 10 nights was the same cost as booking 3 direct with Sheraton.
Sheraton took over this resort last year, and they have already made several changes which appear to have benefited the resort. The rooms are all going through modernisation and have been repainted. The reception and welcome area was very contemporary, and the computer room which was new was excellent. I have given my thoughts on the key areas below -
Island -
The Full moon is 10 minutes boat transfer from Male. It was very quick and the welcome from the Sheraton staff was excellent. If perhaps like me you imagine the Maldives to have far reaching uninterupted views of the ocean or other picturesque islands, your first impression may be dissappointing. From the beach villas you can clearly see Male, and all the big ships and tankers that surround its busy harbour. From the water bungalows you face the near by fishing island that has some small buildings. This did not bother us, but its not the picture postcard image I had in mind.

Villa -
We booked a water bungalow, but were upgraded to a water villa. This was slightly larger than a water bungalow, with a 4 poster bed, bigger seating area, bigger decked terrace , and bathroom (it had twin sinks, bigger shower area than the standard bungalow). I could not say the difference would have been worth paying for, but given the low occupancy of the resort, the ugrade was very welcome. The fact that only the water villa's provide an umbrella on the decked area I found suprising given the strength of the sun.
If you stay in a villa, or water bungalow, you should request a room nearer to the dive centre. This is because the beech area there is very sandy, and the snorkelling towards the reef is superb. Bungalows towards the spa had more of a coral beach, which could not be used for relaxing on. Having said that you can use any beach regardless of where you stay. Other nice touches about the vila were the replacement of drinking water each day, the cleanliness, and the air con - I would never stay in a resort without this in the Maldives given the heat and humidity. The villa bed was huge and very comfortable with luxury bedding.
Restaurants -
The resort boasts 5 restaurants -
Full moon - the main breakfast / dining area for half board / full board guests. This is a buffet style. Breakfast is very good - typical mix of cold and warm foods - English / American with eggs cooked to order. In other resorts I have stayed in there has been more variation to the buffet breakfasts with pan -Asian options. Every night is a different theme for the buffet. The cost was $55 per person +10% (on everything in the hotel) and excluding drinks. We ended up upgrading to half board through Kuoni for a week, as again this was much cheaper than paying the local charge.
Anchorage bar - the more casual bar with terrace over the lagoon. This serves the same menu as in Sands Cafe. Burgers, pizza, sandwiches, pasta etc. Expect to pay $19 for a salad, or pizza. On the odd occassion we did eat lunch here, we found sharing a pizza was adequate after a big breakfast. We found this place was more of a evening chill out area, as it serves great coctails (around $12) and has some good evening entertainment.
Sands cafe - same menu as above, but more of a formal feel than the bar. Great views accross the lagoon.
Atoll grill - we ate here on a few occassions. It is right on the beach and is a lovely atmosphere in the evening. The food is good, but there is no change to the a le carte menu. Fish of the day was always the same, and cooked the same. I would have expected more variety especially with a seaful of fresh fish on the doorstep!
Baan Thai - a nice Thai restaurant - we tried this once and it was very good - but expensive.
Casa Luna (I think that is the spelling) - described as their signature restaurant, this was more formal and gave you the impression of being a 'special occassion' type of setting. We only ate there once - tuna was served to me still frozen in the middle. When I sent it back they said that it was supposed to be like that - really?? My wife had the tasting menu and that was excellent. The main course was cooked in front of you to your liking - it was cooked by the waiter rather than the chef which I found a little odd. Especially when you think of how much it is costing you.

Overall the food variety was OK, but 10 nights half board would be too much. If you are half board, you can eat in the other restaurants, but will only get $10 towards the cost of the bill. This will just about cover the service charge. Again, this doesnt add up to me. If they charge $55 per person to eat in the buffet, why only credit you with $10 to eat in another restaurant? My recommendation would be to go B&B for 7 nights, or alternatively, if you are 2 weeks, to go 1 week B&B and 1 week half board. This way you get the opportunity to try all the restaurants without feeling you are wasting your money.

Also, although they have 5 restaurants, given 2 of them serve the same menu, and on every other night 1 of the other restaurants will be closed (it rotates each evening), you dont have as many options as you may think.

Facilities -
I am a keen diver and the dive school was excellent.. They will provide a free refresher dive if it has been a couple of years (like me) since your last dive. Book 5 dives for the best deal. Each day will be a different dive, and you will see something different each time.
Snorkelling off the back of the water villa was excellent. Some other reviews comment that there isnt much sea life. This is true if you stay in and around the villas, but if you swim to the reef at the back of the water villas (it is perfectly safe to do so - better in the afternoon when there is high tide) you will see everyting that is local to the maldives! We saw 2 turtles, a large reef shark, eels, rays, and so many small fish which are just beautiful. There are life jackets in each of the rooms which my wife swam with. Take your own snorkelling gear though. We snorkelled every day and every day saw something different. We did an organised snorkelling trip with the hotel - this was also well worth doing as you will see more corals.
Trips - we did the sunset picnic through Kuoni. This was a full day - sea plane, boat excursion to some of the other lslands. It was an excellent day and well worth the $200 per person.
Sheraton organise a coctail beach party every week for an hour - giving you the oppportunity to talk to the staff and management. This was really enjoyable, - the staff are really very welcoming.
We also did the sunset fishing. It was a good trip - you are almost guaranteed to catch something. My only complaint was having caught the fish - the restaurant will charge $30 to prepare it, per fish. So catch a big one!
Pool - very nice area - lovely setting and very clean. A small pool for the toddlers is next to it. The hotel only had 30% occupancy when we stayed, and we never struggled to find a place to sit.
Spa - my wife used the spa and enjoyed her treatments.

Overall we really enjoyed our time at Sheraton Full Moon. It was clear from the number of tour companies visiting and taking photos for their new brochures that Sheraton is putting a lot of effort in to rebranding the resort. We were told it would soon be re classed as a 5* resort. It seemed to be most popular with the Japanese market. Having stayed at Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton resorts, I would not say it is on a par with that level of service. But we didnt pay those prices and therefore I have no complaints.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
14  Thank Alex123London
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Great service. Really beautiful island and hotel facilities. Stayed here for a week for my honeymoon and both of us had the best of times. The complimentary breakfast was awesome and wholesome. They gave us a complimentary dinner on the beach at the Atoll Grill which was great as well. Nice restaurants and bars in the hotel. The Baan Thai restaurant had the best thai food I have ever in spite of the exorbitant prices. The beach facing cottage was spacious and luxurious. The attached open air bathrooms were a nice experience as well. Overall great service and experience. Would definitely visit again to stay at the more exotic looking water cottages.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Barricuda
Reviewed 27 April 2009

This hotel is not far from Male international Airport and sea transfer just 30 min away. Its idial for the honeymoon or family with or with out child.

Its one the the good property to stay in Male and crystal clear sea water & Dolphin watching on sunset cruise.

The best to go for all inclusive. because bottle of water will cost around £4.00.

This hotel now belong to Sheraton.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank satheesh13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Furanafushi Island
39.2 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
18.6 km away
Velassaru Maldives
Velassaru Maldives
#1 of 1 in Velassaru Island

Been to Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!