“Loved it, Loved it, Loved IT!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Melia Cayo Santa Maria
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Cayo Santa Maria
Reviewed 19 January 2008

I don't really know where to begin. I have just arrived from an amazing week long vacation at the Melia Cayo Santa Maria in Santa Clara Cuba. My boyfriend and I were there from January 10th-17th. Not long enough that’s for sure.

Airport Check in:

I guess it all depends on how many planes are arriving. It was extremely busy. At one point we almost thought that our bags were lost because they were not coming around and other flights were arriving. Thankfully we found them!!! The currency exchange booths took forever. You are better off doing it at your hotel. All in all, not a bad arrival.

Bus Ride:

I loved it. Even though it was an hour and half ride it was great. The scenery was beautiful. Going through the various little towns was interesting. The drive was kind of scary, they all drive like maniacs. Driving through Santa Clara was nice. The streets look like little narrow alley ways. It was such a tight fit. If the windows were open on the bus I would be able to touch the buildings along the streets. The best part of the drive is the final stretch, driving along the causeway to the secluded island of Santa Maria. That was defiantly memorable. You’re driving on a 10km road built on the water, actually the ocean, it was stunning!!!

Hotel Check In:

We received an envelope as soon as we boarded the bus at the airport. The envelope included a map of the resort with all the restaurant times, excursions included as well. We also received our room key!!! Therefore we did not have to go to the front desk and check in... We didn’t even have to wait for our bags; they would be at our rooms... I would suggest packing a few beach wear in your carry on as to not wait for your luggage. We were instantly greeted by dancers and singers at arrival and a cocktail as well!!! We didn’t know if we had to directly go to our room, so we roamed around a bit until we eventually reached our room, the front desk called to tell us that our bags were coming.

Hotel Room:

No complaints. Very nice, clean and roomy. We had a nice big king size bed, with a day bed too. I had emailed the resort the day before to make a request to have a room within the center of the resort, close to bars, restaurants and pools. I was surprised that the building I had asked for specifically was actually given. Building 27, room 2722, located directly behind the Italian a la carte, 24 hour snack bar and the pools. Even though we did not have a view of the ocean, it was still nice, besides you’re not going to waste any time on your balcony anyways. The bathroom was very nice and clean. The toilet, shower and badee (probably not spelled right) were in a separate room from the sink. I liked that, while one showers, the other can get ready. Bed was super comfy, sheets were cleaned, tons of pillows for a comfy sleep. We didn’t bring a watch, so we never wanted to sleep in too late, so we got a wakeup call every morning. But we eventually got used to it and realized what time it really was throughout the day.

Food:

To be honest what do you really expect... It’s not intended to be a gourmet place. Buffet has variety, not everyday though. Pretty much same food every day. I will say the omelettes were amazing and so were the pancakes, try the strawberry sauce, delicious!!! You can reserve 3 a la carte restaurants a week.

Mediteraian (next to the buffet restaurant):

That was great!!! I don’t remember the appetizer I had, but dinner my boyfriend and I had the beef mignon. His was cooked a little rare for my liking but mine was GOOD. Since I was celebrating my birthday that particular night, they came out with a sponge cake (I think that’s what it was), with alcohol on it, and poured on our plates. They dimmed the lights, lit our plates on fire and the cake and sang to me. It was so nice. Therefore the food was good there and the service was oh so pleasant.

Seafood (restaurant on the beach, serve lunches there as well):

I had the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer. It was really good, served in martini glass, 4 shrimps on a bed of lettuce with I think it was mayo. It was really good. Them I had the calamari in tomato sauce. It wasn’t amazing, but it was pretty good. The best was the fried ice cream. LOVED IT!!! I do recommend you visit this same restaurant for lunch. Why??? Their fired calamari. It is absolutely amazing. We had it every day for lunch. The last day was the best, we savoured every bite. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have it, for us at least....yummmmmy!!!!

Steakhouse (Directly across from pool)

This is a brand new restaurant. We kind of cancelled our reservation. We heard from other people that it was not good at all. Apparently the ribs were fatty, the chicken was bloody and the rest was just as bad. So we decided to skip it last minute. It was our last night anyways, so we partied instead of eating.

Bars:

Defiantly enough for every one!! There’s the 24 hour piano bar, next to lobby. Pool bar in the 24 hour snack area, swim up bar on one side of the pool and the other small bar (didn’t notice till last day) and lastly the beach bar. Bring something to have your
drinks poured into. Unless you are actually sitting at the bar, they will serve it tiny plastic cups by the pool and the beach. We used BUBBA Kegs that we bought at Canadian Tire. Mine wasn’t as big as mu boyfriend’s. Mine was only 20oz...um...his was like 55oz!!!

Service Staff:

To be honest, some were not as nice as others. Some spoke English, a lot didn’t. At the buffet and a la carte, very fast and efficient. As soon as you sit, they serve whatever you want to drink (their white wine for dinner is good). Our bed was made and sheets changed if needed. Our shoes were even placed neatly against the wall, floors mopped, fridge stock (if needed), and fresh towels every day. They would leave those cute towel sculptures on our bed every day. The best was the elephant; they used a baseball cap and put sunglasses on it....haha...

Beach:

BEAUTIFUL!!! I have never seen such a wonderful, white sandy beach in my life. This was my 3rd time in Cuba and by far the most outstanding beach ever!!! The stretch of beach seemed as though it went on forever. On the right, they were building the new huge hotel (apparently 2800 rooms...wow) and if you walk along to the left, past the neighbouring resort, is the nude beach. If you dare to bare you sure can there!!! I won’t lie there were jellyfish. Most were just dried up on shore. I think I saw 2 in the water actually moving. I also saw a lot of people swimming and none were stung, so I think it’s safe.

Pools:

2 main pools, 1 little pool at the club house, Jacuzzi in front of the snack bar. I will let you in on a little secret. Wake up in the morning before 9am and find a spot by the pool area to reserve for the day. There are a lot of lounge chairs surrounded everywhere, no problem finding chairs. The secret is the location of the spot. Right in front of the 24 hour snack, directly in front of the 2nd pool, is a Jacuzzi area with lounges including shaded areas. The secret is that first thing in the morning is covered in shade. But as soon as you are done breakfast is sunny. It the best spot guaranteed. You got the pool a few steps down to cool down a lot, right beside you a Jacuzzi for a bit warmer cool down, bathrooms around the corner, swim up bar a few feet away and food as well. We had that spot all week. It was perfect!!!

Entertainment:

Various activities throughout the day. Water aerobics was fun (even though I only did it once..hehe). good way to burn off breakfast. The entertainment staff was great. Ricardo very nice!! There was a fashion show twice that week, and then at the end you were able to purchase it. Some of the stuff was beautiful and not as inexpensive as you would expect. A few afternoons there were these 2 guys on those little sport bikes doing flips and spins and all these cool tricks right in between the 2 pools. That space is not that big so it made their tricks look even better. As for the nightly entertainment, nothing too great. It’s all the same at every resort pretty much. Except for one particular night. There was an amazing Michael Jackson impersonator. He was amazing!!!! Looked like him and danced exactly like him (first rows are needed to sit at to experience this show). Amazing performance of Thriller and Billy Jean. It was AWESOME!!! Then there was the disco, which started right after the show. It’s a reasonable size space, pool table on the left, lots of couches to sit on, and of course a bar. Load music and a lot of fog. This was a little over done!!! A few drinks later it gets tolerable.

Spa:

Ahhhhh the spa!!!! Make sure you reserve it asap. Already with your hotel package is the HydroTherapy (I think). This means is that you get to use their spa facility for a whole hour. First you use the sauna, then take cold shower, then steam room, another cold shower, hot bath and lastly Jacuzzi and then bathe in the sun. It’s very private and a bit away from the resort, so really quite and accessible from all the neighbouring resorts. This spa is one of the best in Cuba. My boyfriend and I scheduled a Couples Massage. It was 116 pesos altogether for an hour of relaxing massage. Worth every single penny. It was a perfect day, because we had the HydroTherapy first for an hour then the message for the next. I highly recommend it!!!

All in all, I feel this was the most wonderful resort we have ever stayed at. I would defiantly go back next year. The week started off really quite, a day in to it a bunch of rowdy young Quebecers arrived and the noise began. They grew on you in the end and were a lot of fun. My boyfriend believes he made lifelong friends!!!! Defiantly a resort made for couples, singles and those who really just want to relax and truly vacation.

OHHH how I wish I was back there!!!

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
45  Thank Spuds_Beauty
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2016

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (4,406)

Reviewed 18 January 2008

Awesome resort. Clean and colorful rooms. Spectacular beach with many spots for privacy. Rent a scooter and discover Playa Perle Blanca on the south end of island. Well worth it. Excursions were fantasic, I did the jeep safari and catamaran. Staff at resort were amazing especially Maikel at the buffet dinning room. Highly recommended for a quiet romantic vacation.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled solo
12  Thank Jasper42
Melia S M, Director General at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2015

Dear Mr & Mrs,
Greetings from Melia Cayo Santa María!
Thank you very much for your lovely review, by the sounds of it you had a great time! We are happy to read that you enjoyed the resort and our service.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future again!

Reviewed 17 January 2008

We arrived at the Hotel New Years Eve and enjoyed the next day in the sun. Then a cold front came in and we spent three days cold and miserable. The food at the resort was questionable, and the a la carte restaurants a total disappointment. Especially the Italian one. You could not even get a decent beverage or glass of wine. All the liquor was substandard unless you pay a premium and request name brand.( $6.00.) We thought we would rent a car or scooter but in Cuba they cannot get spare parts so everything sits broken down. We thought we would enjoy the jacuzzi considering it was so cold but was told it too had been broken for a very long time. In your room you were lucky to get more than one beer for the fridge which was also terrible, not to mention the bottled water. It was not fit for consumption so we drank juice and pop instead. We also found it very boring. The only highlight was the last day we rented a taxi and toured the cities of Caibarien, and Santa Clara. It was very interesting and showed us what Cuba was all about. The shows in the evening were excellent, and the one thing we looked forward to. The dancers and musicians were amazing. Our last complaint was the scam of converting canadian money to cuban convertible pasos, which you need to tip. Cuban money is apparently worth more than Canadian, it would cost at times as much as twenty four dollars to purchase $20 CUC. This rate changes daily!

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank RosieBC
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2016

Dear customer,
Thanks for choosing our hotel for your vacations and for posting your review on TripAdvisor. First of all we would like to apologize for the dissatisfactions you encountered during your stay, we are going to pay close attention to all the negative remarks you have written in order to prevent similar events in the future.
We hope to welcome you and your family in the future to offer you an amazing holiday as expected.

Reviewed 15 January 2008

For christmas 2007 me and my boyfriend traveled to Melia Cayo santa maria for a week, this was my 5th time in cuba.
The Pros
The property was nice
The beach calm with small waves and very long for nice walks , after the sol hotel the beach is virgin and very nice
THe activities: not much to do but there are alot of kayaks, pedalos, mini catamaran , small sail boats and windsurf ( wich my boyfriend really apreciated)
The food : lobster, clamari, fresh tuna
The room: very nice and clean
The staff: Very nice and spoke good english
The catamaran trip was wonderfull and worth every peso

The cons
The management staff were horible we never got any chance tpo switch rooms because our room was close to the disco and we could never sleep before 2 am and the first night they forgot to turn of the speakers so we heard music all night. The only rooms available were ocean views and we had to pay 20 pesos a day to change which we didnt want to pay.
The hotel is 1h30 from the closest city so if there is a rainy days there is not much to do.

I recommend this hotel for anyone who is looking for a quiet vacation.
PS: The cubans work very hard and are not very well paied , show your appreciation by being generous give tip to the servers they will really appreciate AND the servers indicated as STUDENTS are not paid to do the job they live off tips , be generous !!!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank carribiansea
Melia S M, General Manager at Melia Cayo Santa Maria, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2016

Reviewed 12 January 2008

This is a gorgeous place with an excellent staff who were friendly and there for our every need and request. The food was good and there is a lot of choice. No complaints whatsoever. A beautiful, relaxing week was definitely not enough. We will go back.

Stayed: January 2008

Valentin Perla Blanca
#10 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
3.8 km away
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria
Sanctuary at Grand Memories Sant...
#4 of 16 in Cayo Santa Maria
223.2 km away
Iberostar Varadero
Iberostar Varadero
#2 of 64 in Varadero

Been to Melia Cayo Santa Maria? Share your experiences!