I have just got back from being evacuated from Cuba after hurricane Irma. We arrived here on Tuesday 5th September and the check in went really quick and smooth. We were taken to our room on a buggy and the driver pointed out all the local amenities. The room was spotless although we had a couple of issues. Our sink was blocked and a thick black mess kept coming up but I contacted reception and it was sorted within an hour. We also had a blocked air con drain (hubby knew the issue!) and again it was resolved pretty quick but we were left with a flooded bathroom and no maid came to clean it up.
We visited the buffet restaurant and the food was ok. It wasn't very hot and not a little bland but there was enough to eat and choose from (not sure if I would have felt the same after 2 weeks of eating it!)
The snack bar by the pool did a lovely thin crispy pizza and even did me a half of one as I couldn't eat a full one!
The pool was clean and plenty of sun beds. You don't need to get up at 6am to reserve a bed! The beach was amazing! Snow White sand and crystal clear water. Beautiful!
We didn't get the chance to try any restaurants on site as we were moved on Thursday 8th to Varadero with the hurricane approaching.
All the staff we encountered we really pleasant and we had no issues at all. It's not a 5star hotel so don't go expecting it but you wouldn't be disappointed! I am unsure how the hotel faired after the hurricane as I know it took a direct hit along with many hotels in the Cayo's. It's so sad to think of the destruction and devastating affect on locals as Cuba is a lovely country.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In an island paradise off the northern coast of Cuba stands the 5- star All-Inclusive Meliá Cayo Santa María hotel, especially designed for families, surrounded by beautiful beaches and lush tropical vegetation. This property (358 rooms) offers facilities for incentives groups and a special wedding and honeymoon program. A perfect complement for an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Melia Hotels APAC, Expedia and TripOnline SA so you can book your Melia Cayo Santa Maria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Cayo Santa Maria Hotel Cayo Santa Maria
- Cayo Santa Maria Melia
- Cayo Santa Maria Cuba
- Santa Maria Cuba
- Melia Cayo Santa Maria Cuba