“Alright but lacking in something.”
Review of The Three Salmons

The Three Salmons
Ranked #7 of 27 Restaurants in Usk
Price range: US$6 - US$39
Cuisines: Welsh
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Alright but lacking in something.”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

The bar area is nice. The restaurant however, feels stark and unwelcoming. The food is not really up to much. Like a few other places offering this style/level of food, it doesn't quite cut it.
The service is acceptable, and the staff friendly enough. Overall, there is something missing in The Three Salmons dining experience.

• Visited October 2011

Wales
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have been fortunate enough to eat in many places (The White Hart Village Inn, Charthouse, Hardwick, The Bear) in this area recently and I have to say this was amongst the best.
We were greeted very pleasantly on arrival, asked whether we would like a drink in the bar or one at the table in the Restaurant - we choose to sit at the table in the Restaurant, we were the first diners of the evening. All the staff were uniformed and were very pleasant and helpful throughout.
One thing that confuses me is that on the web site and their publicity they show 2 AA Rosettes - yet in the hallway of the Hotel - they only show a plate with one? Maybe that is me being picky.
We choose our drinks and food, there was a good selection of dishes on the menu - must be something there to suit any palate.
We were offered an Amuse Bouche - this was really different - it was a Pimms foam!!! It was really tasty and different - great start.
My partner has scallops on black pudding (she always has scallops!!) they were cooked to perfection. I had Ham Hock Ravioli - it was different and tasted ok but I guess I was hoping for a bit extra special rather than just ok.
For my main course I choose the Welsh Rump of Lamb - I was not asked how I would like this cooked. I was perfectly pink!!! Great just how I like it. I am not a lover of French beans but these were ok, the fondant potato was slightly under cooked - it was just translucent in part however it was very edible. My partner choose the duck with a beetroot fondant potato - once again she was not asked how she would like it cooked - it arrived perfectly pink really flavourful.
We were not going to have a dessert - however we inadvertently received a copy of the bar menu - on this was panacotta - which my partner had and was excellent and was served with rhubarb, I had treacle tart and vanilla ice cream - I know I shouldn’t have really had dessert so I don’t know whether it was my guilt saying ‘you are not enjoying this’ or whether I didn’t really enjoy it - it was obviously a bar menu item which I shouldn’t have had it the restaurant!!
It was sad that there were not that many people dining - even when we left there were only 5 tables taken - this type of food and service deserves better support that that.
Overall, an enjoyable experience good food, expertly cooked and served really well and I will never forget that Pimms foam!!!

• Visited August 2011
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Modern, updated with tasty food!”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

It was a glorious sunny Monday and we wanted a treat. The Walnut Tree near Abergavenny was closed so we ended up in the Three Salmons instead.The sad, faded decor we encountered several years ago has given way to a modern fresh look with a new menu. We ate in the restaurant but the food was the same price even in the bar. We both chose the same: fried whitebait to start followed by breast of duck. Since we were driving we had a bottle and a half of sparkling water and added a portion of home made bread because we were really hungry. The fish was served on Welsh slate in a metal mesh holder alongside an individual container of sauce. It was freshly cooked, crisp and delicious. The sliced duck, tender and slightly pink, sat next to a small portion of red potato cake and an equally small portion of red cabbage. It was well presented but I was unsure of the flavour of the sauce. In addition my husband stated that he would have liked a small portion of a green vegetable to provide contrast.However, it was beautifullly cooked and we ate everything, finding that with the one portion of bread we had sufficient to eat. Sadly, the Three Samons does not offer a special two course lunch price but I did not begrudge the bill ( about £43) because I had enjoyed the food and the experience. Outside the garden was immaculate, looking very pretty in the warm sunlight. We will certainly eat here again but probably when we want another treat!

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
“It could be better - will look elsewhere next time though”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We had been told the standard had improved and decided to give it a go.......a little disappointed, but as a guest said nothing.
Dined only (in bar area) - Menu "reasonable" with generally local ingredients (apparently)
Mussels pleasant, but a very small (poor) portion.
Scallops eaten by colleague - good.
Main course steak - overcooked and dry, chips soggy
Fish and Chips looked good
Wine selection small, but acceptable
Overall cost per head unknown, but guess approx £25 per head

• Visited June 2011
North Palm Beach, Florida
“Open on Sundays”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

We were happy that they were open on Sunday evening, as many places in the Usk area were not, even though this was the week of the Ryder Cup. Surprising. We had eaten there before -- in the bar -- and it was fine. This time we tried the restaurant menu, but ate in the bar as it has a little more atmosphere. Pricier meal, but very good. I had the venison and it was delicious. The menu has suggested wine pairings, with wines by the glass. Very courteous service.