“Better than expected, an honest Canarian place....”
Review of Grill Casa Vieja

Grill Casa Vieja
Price range: US$7 - US$28
Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We just had a great evening at this place, so thought I'd write the review immediately! The restaurant is off the beaten track, and its location is not glamorous, in fact its next to the motorway, but higher up so the noise isn't too bad.

In any case we sat inside, and it does have the air of a tourist canteen, but it was pretty empty this evening, so actually was quite nice. We must have been lucky with the waiters, because unlike the other reviews, ours was friendly and attentive. We never waited long, and he was always available...perhaps we were lucky as there were only about 10 tables occupied (and no live music either, so again perhaps we were lucky as I am not sure, like Chris I, I would have enjoyed that either!).

The food is simple, and very reasonably priced (the menu is extensive though with plenty of choice), certainly much cheaper than the beach side tourist traps. I had simple grilled fish and it was lovely! Soft and flakey, but really tasty...and my wife had the Ropa Vieja, which is a traditional Spanish chickpea stew with lamb often served as a tapas, and was really enjoyable as well as filling!

The kids got generous portions of grilled chicken and fish respectively, but there were also about 10 pasta dishes for them to choose from too.

The meal for 4, with wine, drinks, coffee and deserts only came to €65, so definitely a bit of a bargain, and I would recommend a visit.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Myself and my boyfriend ate here after it was recommended to us by the hotel receptionist. The food was absolutely amazing. The service was great. The staff was friendly. They called us a taxi once we were finished eating. The food was very reasonably priced. We loved it so much we came back a second night (this was our last night, otherwise we would have eaten here every night). I would definitely recommend eating here.

Reviewed 17 November 2012

we tried out this restaurant near san fernando because of the recommandations but we absolutely won't recommand it to anyone. the waiter was soo bad and distracted, we wanted a spanish or german menu card, he brought it in english, before dinner there was an annoying pseudo-canarian music group singing trite tourist songs, they brought us pan and coperto, this age-old trick, the bread was very old though, in the end they wanted 2.50 euro, we didn't pay it of course, the soup of the day (potaje) was medium, (4 €), the mixed salad medium and half an onion salad (cheap ingredients, 4.95€), served much too early, the grilled rabbit (some little pieces of it, nothing more) much too dry (we waited half an hour for it although the restaurant was empty), and also VERY burnt (9.95 €), the vine was ok but a cheaper mass product (1/2 litre: 8.90 €).
if this is canarian kitchen and atmosphere, i prefer mc donalds or pizza hut.

my recommendation: choose another restaurant and please: don't pay for anything you didn't order (like pan y coperto), tell the personal if you aren't content like we did! direct critics are always important!

1  Thank Chris I
Reviewed 8 November 2012

The place is next to the road with a speed road in the hearing distance, so seating outside might be a bit disturbing. The interior is nice, but was quite cold because of the airconditioning.
Waiters were friendly but a bit annoying.
We took paella, which had plenty of "filling", but the rice was undercooked.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

A very fine en good restaurant,perfect spanisch food, excelent open kitchen, fine waiters, good price,very fine en good coked steaks you ............you must visit it.......!!!

1  Thank andreams1949