Cooking Class in Ko Samui for Small Group

Book in advance
from
S$98.81
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Smiley Cook
from S$98.81
More Info
All reviews local market market tour great cooking class at home cooking experience authentic thai food bung dish chef cooks lesson prep skills
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

We wanted a cooking class but didnt fancy one in a hotel. We were picked up from the hotel and went to the market to look around which was really interesting. Everyone spoke english really well and so learnt a lot. We were given list of meals we could cook and between us and another couple had to pick four to make. This was fine for us as we all agreed quite easily what to make however i could see this may cause problems for some people.
We then headed to their house and outdoor cooking area where we were given thai tea and plenty of water throughout the day. The cooking was well explained although if you were an experienced cook it might be a bit basic however we learnt a lot of tips to bring home! You made a small portion of all four dishes each so we were stuffed by the time we went home! Really enjoyed it!

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 28 August 2016

We found this by looking on the internet. We were picked up from our hotel and then went and collected another couple (they only have four people at a time doing the class. We next went to a local market where we got the ingredients for our class. You get to choose from a list what you are going to cook. You all cook the same so you need to agree on what it is you will cook. You are then taken to the house of the owner and in the garden is where you do the cooking. You start with all the prep work then get on with the cooking. once you have finished you get to sit down and enjoy the fruits of your hard work. Well worth trying and it was explained very well indeed

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

I really enjoyed this course. It starts with a trip to the market which is really interesting to see all the variety of ingredients. Our host, Mong, was really knowledgeable and easy to talk to which made it a great learning and enjoyable experience.

The actual cooking course consists of 4 dishes which we get to choose. It was surprising how simple it is to make delicious dishes.

There were only two negatives from my perspective, but for both I can understand why they do it as they do.

Firstly, for some of the dishes (curries and pad Thai) the base is ready prepared so you do not learn how to make the full dish from scratch. This is because they take a long time to prepare, and as it is only a half day course there is not the time. We were told that we could make the curry paste, but this counts as one of your 4 dishes (I.e curry and paste counts as two dishes for one plate of food). If hell bent on making everything from scratch, then a full day course may be more suitable. Recipes for paste and pad Thai base are online though so I'll definitely be having a go at making them when I get home.

Secondly, we prepared all 4 dishes before eating any. This meant that some of the food wasn't hot when we ate. I would personally rather eat each dish as its prepared, but saying that it was a nice end to the session to sit down and eat all the food together. With 4 dishes of food to eat you also get quite tired after eating it all which probably makes eating at the end make more sense too!

As I mentioned, I can completely see why they structure the course as they do, and all in all it was a great morning. The host was brilliant, the background to the dishes was very interesting, and the food was delicious!

Would certainly recommend.

1  Thank teamcarrot
Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

I did enjoy the class with my son(13), being able to choose which meal to cook, buy the ingredients in a local market, then go to a very nice thai house and garden. It takes place in the porch, Nice and Clean.
The rythm is adaptable , and the teacher is awesome.

The result is beyond your expectation, it is the best Pad Thai I ever had.

Bung, Mong & Joe do not change anything, it's just great, Many thanks again
Nicolas

2  Thank ahpengnicolas
Reviewed 1 August 2016

I came to Thailand with my parents and they asked me if I wanted to go to a cooking class to learn some authentic, Thai dishes before I start uni in September. I've got to say I was super nervous, but I have just had the best afternoon. I was picked up around 8:50am from my hotel, and dropped off after the class. I was shown the market and taught about different foods to cook with (who knew that celery and Thai celery were two different things? Not me...). I'm a beginner cook to say the least, and the morning I had at Smiley Cook was super simple, super easy to follow and I felt at ease. We were a class of three, and the couple that was also in the class were so nice. We were each in control of our own dishes, which meant we could make them as spicy or as mild as we wished, which was great. I'm so excited to go home and try to recreate some of what I made today. Would 110% recommend!!!

Date of experience: August 2016
tonychokdi, Propriétaire at Smiley Cook, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2016

Thank you very much for your beautiful review.
This is always a pleasure to teach lovely guests like you.
We were very happy to received you in our home, and I am glad that you enjoy the cooking class.
All the recipies are on the internet site if needed.
We wish you the best and we hope that you are becoming a better chef now!
Tony and the smiley cook team