“Rustic Honeymoon”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
Reviewed 30 September 2008

When we arrived at the airport at 4:00 Monday, June 23rd we were quick to find out that our travel agent (American Express; honeymoon division) only booked us tickets coming back from St. Lucia. Of course I was told that I had to do everything through my TA, and it was 1:00 in the morning in California where they are located. Luckily an American Airlines associate was able to get us on the same flights we were told we were booked on. We had just enough time to get through security grab some Starbucks and board our plane to Miami. When we got to Miami it sucked. We had a 3 hour layover which we thought wasn't that bad, but in the International wing of the airport there are only 3 places to eat; Chinese, pizza, or an au bon store where you can buy sandwiches an salads. Jon and I ate some pizza at 9am for fear that we would starve to death by the time we got to St. Lucia. Our flight to St. Lucia was ALL honeymooners, and about 90% were going to one of the three Sandals resorts on the island. The flight was long, but I slept most of the way, and Jon (my husband) watched shows on his ipod. They played 27 dresses on the plane which I found to be very ironic!

When we arrived in St. Lucia we had to wait in another long line to get through customs. After that we found our taxi driver and we left for the resort. He gave us cool towels and a bottle of water. Prior to our honeymoon I asked Jon to get us some Dramamine for the car trips. I do not get car sick what-so-ever, but after reading a ton of reviews and hearing it from friends who visited the island I wanted to be prepared. He told me he had Dramamine and when I went to open it to get some for the ride to Ti Kaye I only found one... So we decided to split it. About 30 minutes into our trip I was feeling so incredibly nausea that I had to close my eyes or I was going to loose my pizza from earlier that morning. I have never gotten car sick before, and I don't ever want too. From that point on I kept getting Dramamine from the front office before any car ride out of Ti Kaye. The road leading into Ti Kaye is just as bad as everyone says it is...

My friend recommended an amazing taxi driver, Noel... who can take you out to dinner or tour you around the island if needed. I would definitely go over to Ladera for dinner one evening while your staying at Ti Kaye... delish and such an amazing view of the Pitons! Pictures can not describe how incredible it was! Be ready for high priced taxi service! I think it cost us $120 for a taxi round trip to Ladera... but Noel also took us to the town of Soufrie where we went to the Botanical Garden, Waterfall, the Casava bread factory, etc.... totally worth it.

We also got PADI certified during our honeymoon. We started off by taking a Discover Scuba dive on that Tuesday afternoon. Because our travel agency screwed up our flights going to St. Lucia they paid for our discover scuba diving course! We waited to pick up the PADI packets until the next day, becuase my ears were extremely hurting, and I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to go through with the course. On that Thursday we started working on our books. We only had to read 3 chapters, take the quizzes, and then we could do our last 3 dives for standard certification. This was great, but I felt like half of our honeymoon we were studying. Which was probably a good thing because we never have the time at home to work on getting certified!

We went zip lining which was a lot of fun, but very expensive... I want to say between the taxi and the actual zip lining it was like $340! mad expensive! It was a cool experience... if you have the money and time--do it! Noel took us to a drop off point where we met another bus of people that all mainly came from Marigot. Because it happened to be a day when the cruise lines were in they were super packed, and of course we were in the rain forest so it was constantly down pouring. Our driver took us all to a waterfall while the lines started to dwindle. It was really cool, although the waterfall was very small and barely produced any movement. We got to walk around the rocks, and take a ton of pictures. I'm so happy we had a waterproof digital camera for our trip. That's the main reason why we were able to document so much of our trip!

The nice thing about Ti Kaye was that we snorkeled and kayaked every day. Everyone from the island was boated in to our cove (which on Sunday's and cruise days every other Wed and every Thursday) got to be a bit crazy down on the beach... they weren't aloud to use the chairs, but it was not piece and quiet! We had the best snorkeling and had a lot of fun exploring the reefs off the coast.

Food was ok at Ti Kaye... I liked breakfast the best, and normally loaded up on breakfast because it was included with our stay. I normally got an omelette's every morning, johnny cakes and salt fish if they had them, a little breakfast beans, and tons of fruit. They had these amazing chocolate croissants and banana bread--which I normally don't like, but this stuff rocked! Lunch was ok, and ranged anywhere from $10-20 per plate.. Most stuff was large enough to where we would split lunch and eat some fruit back in the room. We had a fruit plate in our room upon arrival, plus we got a fruit basket with our package, so that lasted us most of the trip. We would eat a few pieces of fruit every afternoon. The only dinner that really impressed me was the Wednesday night buffet that showcases all there local foods. Delish! I fell in love with so many new St. Lucian native fruits and vegetables while there-- and now it sucks because I can't get bread fruit or dashene or a mango Julieta! I've never really liked mango until I got to try the mango juliet... AMAZING!

We even stopped at a produce stand to buy a few. Noel also took us to a place called La Moniques (his cousin's restaurant) which is right out side of Anse La Raye fishing village (the village before Ti Kaye). Amazing home cooking. I definitely recommend you eat at a local place, and try new things... I never thought I would like salt fish and I loved it! Jon and I would share an appetizer and entree for dinner, and only got dessert once or twice... normally it was enough to fill us, but we're semi-light eaters... so it depends how you eat. I'm also super picky... so I had a harder time finding something that I would like. Pilgrim the bartender is very nice as well... and Dina is gorgeous and very kind! She's one of the servers at the restaurant! if you want a bracelet or necklace talk to George... he does a little bit of everything at the resort... he will hook you up with one of the ladies on the beach--who doesn't pedal her stuff!

If my husband and I could do it all again we would definitely split our time at two different resorts to get just a little bit of variety. After our trip we wished we would have. I wanted too all along, but Jon didn't want to be traveling all around the Island. You also have to be ready to somewhat "rough-it".... hardly any air conditioning along with no tv and bugs and creatures of all sizes practically can roam right into your room! As long as your ok with those three aspects you'll love Ti Kaye! Just remember your close pins to pin up your bed netting!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kjasie

Reviewed 17 September 2008

This review is way overdue, we went to St. Lucia in May for our honeymoon, but even several months later we’re still raving about what an amazing trip we had! We stayed at Ti Kaye for the second part of our honeymoon (the first part was spent at Ladera for which I wrote a separate review) and we made the decision to stay there based on all the wonderful reviews we read on tripadvisor.com. We’re so glad we did, we absolutely LOVED Ti Kaye! From the second we arrived, we could see that this hotel was something special. We were greeted as we exited our taxi with a lei and our luggage was taken to our room. Instead of waiting at a front desk to check in, we were escorted to the bar area with a gorgeous view and given a complimentary welcome drink. There were several other couples at the bar because it was happy hour and they were all so friendly and welcoming, and Pilgrim, the bartender, took care of everyone like they were his personal friend. We then met George, who took us to our cottage-he was so friendly and helped us with whatever we needed during our entire stay-he’s GREAT! In fact, all the staff was wonderful, but I’ll get to that later-from here on I’ll break down all the aspects of the hotel.

1.The cottage. We stayed in “Mele”. It was the farthest one but had an amazing view and a lot of privacy, and was still less than a five minute walk to the lobby/restaurant/bar area. The porch area had a double hammock, table, and plunge pool with an open view to the water and beach below. The plunge pool was great-a good size and perfect temperature to cool off after a day at the beach! The porch has it’s own door which you can lock, so that you can leave the french doors that lead to the living area open at night and listen to the ocean. The bed was decorated when we came in and there were flower petals everywhere! The rooms don’t have TV (which we were perfectly fine with!), but there is one in the library area and the staff prints out news for the day for different countries and sets them out at the bar so you can keep up with the world if you need to! The rooms do have a phone, ample lighting, and US outlets or converters so you don’t need to bring your own. They do have AC as well, which is nice because we had to use it on a couple occasions. We loved the outdoor shower-it was so refreshing and you could leave the door open and see the ocean, but be careful, because passing boats can likely see you! They had a large refrigerator in the room and we ordered a cheese plate and beverages on our first day and snacked on those during our stay. We did have some animal friends, mostly birds and a couple lizards and a tiny frog,but we weren’t bothered by them and the mosquito nets work great. Our cottage was ocean view which I would recommend along with the plunge pool because we spent a lot of time out on the porch. Overall we loved it!

2. Beach. The beach was great. Yes, there are something like 176 stairs to get to it, but just bring everything you need down there and you only have to hike up the stairs once a day and then it’s not too bad. The beach was never crowded-the most we saw is maybe 10 couples besides us. We did have one day where a lot of boats came in the cove to snorkel, but they didn’t bother us and they only stayed a couple hours. The rest of the time we’d maybe see a few locals, but that’s it. And everyone stayed on the other side of the beach, only resort guests can use the chairs, etc. They have a security guard on the beach, too, so we always felt comfortable leaving our bags by our chairs when we swam. We met some of the local “salesmen” and they were very polite and were not bothersome at all. They have some nice things, too-we bought from pretty much all of them! There is always a “beach dude” on the beach-we mostly had Terry and he was awesome! Anything we needed, he would bring to us and he set up our chairs and umbrellas every day. They’re all so nice! We rented snorkel equipment at the dive shop right next to the beach bar every day. It was reasonably priced and pretty good equipment. The snorkeling there is GREAT-we saw tons of fish, squid, eels, starfish, even a sea snake! And the water is so calm-definitely the best snorkeling out of all the beaches we went to. The sand is “black” and gets REALLY hot, so bring shoes that can get wet so you can wear them down to the water.

3. Food. The restaurant was pretty good. Not as good as Dasheene, but we found several dishes that were delicious, and there was a different menu each day so we ate there every night. It was very romantic, lit with candles and a beautiful view. If you want to sit on the edge overlooking the ocean, you have to request the “deck” in the morning and they’ll have it reserved for you at night. Breakfast was a buffet and was good as well-lots to choose from. Watch the birds, though, they’ll grap your food the second you get up! We ate lunch at the beach bar every day and they make great sandwiches and burgers. We usually washed it down with the local beer, Piton, which became our new favorite! You can order a bucket from the beach dude to keep by your chairs. We had a romantic dinner in our room one night which I highly recommend. It started off with two massage therapists coming to our room and doing a couples massage which was great. When we finished all we had to do was throw on our robes and go out the the porch and a beautiful candlelit table was set up with flower petals. George came and brought a full spread of seafood along with wine and champagne. You can pre order what you want, including wine pairings. It was delicious and so romantic-definitley worth it.

4. Activities. They offered a lot of different activities through the resort. We decided to go to the Friday night fish fry in Anse La Raye. It was SO much fun! Through the resort you can take a water taxi or bus over to the little fishing village where they have several blocks closed off for the local fishermen to set up booths and cook up their fresh catch of the day. There was so much to choose from, and it all smelled so good and tasted delicious! They accept US dollars and EC, and all the food is very inexpensive. You may want to bring some extra money as there are several people there selling souvenirs as well. The atmosphere is so fun, there is music and lots of locals to mingle with. We met the nicest family from St. Lucia and had a great time chatting them up! Staff from Ti Kaye stay with you , and George will show you around as this is where he is from! I would HIGHLY recommend you check this out, it was the most fun we had on the island! The second activity we did was the wine tasting with Cleus. That was the best decision we made-we had SO much fun! Cleus is GREAT and so knowledgable about wine! It was just my husband and I, and we met Cleus in the wine cellar next to the bar area. He had a tasty cheese plate and several wines picked out when we arrived. Once we got to talking wine, we had the best time sharing our favorites with him, and vice verse. He would hear that we liked a certain type and he would think of a wine we “had to try” and run and get it for us. We tasted so many different wines we’d never had, it was a real learning experience, and it was made that much better because of Cleus. We really enjoyed our time with him! (Hi Cleus, I know you’re probably reading this! I still plan on sending you that Clos Du Val!) If you like wine, or just want to learn more about it, I definitely recommend you do the wine tasting. We had the BEST time!

5. Service. It was incredible. Everyone knew you and called you by name from the time they met you. Anything you needed was “no problem”. Katie, the new manager, was at dinner meeting and greeting the guests each night. She seems to be doing a great job with the resort.
Everybody gave us great service in their own special way-George, Cleus, Terry, Gus, Pilgrim, and all the rest, thank you! -The other resort we stayed at had great service, but it was more formal. Here, you had great service, but it felt like everybody was your friend. I can’t say enough good things about Ti Kaye. We had an amazing honeymoon, and can’t wait to go back! Thanks to everyone who made our stay so special!!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jlJace18
Reviewed 4 September 2008

We stayed at Ti Kaye Village for a week in August 2008 for honeymoon.

We stayed in an oceanfront cottage with a plunge pool (Room B) - and it was perfect. Despite being close to the main part of the hotel, it was very private and quiet. The room was clean, the accomodations were comfortable, and the front porch was the perfect place to sit and watch the gorgeous sunsets. Also, the plunge pool warmed up in the sun all day - and was the perfect spot for a late afternoon dip after being at the beach all day.

Airport transfers were smooth - and while we were warned about the bumpiness of the road Ti Kaye is on, it really wasn't that bad. The employees greated us warmly (the manager, Katie, was on vacation the week we visited) but the rest of the employees were friendly and accomodating.

The resort is cozy and comfortable. The beach was a great size, and despite a few busy days with tour boats and a few rain showers - it was very comfortable. The snorkeling right off the beach was great, and we had fun taking the kayaks on longer trips out of Anse Cochon.

The food was delicious - no complaints! Breakfast was simple - but tasty! Lunch at the beach bar is great - the burger is TO-DIE-FOR, and the local chips are quite good. Dinners were creative and tasty, and made nice use of local fish and cuisine.

A few highlights:
-Wine tasting with Cleus - DO NOT MISS IT! Cleus was a fun, engaging teacher who clearly has a talent for tasting wines! This was one of our favorite activities!

-We purchased the Lanmour package - and enjoyed the snorkel equipment daily, the massage was great, and the sunset cruise was relaxing. We actually ended up taking the sunset cruise along - as no other couple had signed up for our evening. We had the whole boat to ourselves - along with the drinks and food provided! Lester and Mano - the sunset cruise crew - were a lot of fun!

-We took a water taxi to Castries one day with taxi driver Jonty - he did a great job of making the taxi ride a mini-Island tour. Castries was ok - not too much to see. We did enjoy seeing the fruit/vegetable market. We had lunch at the CoalPot - BEST meal on the island!

-We took a water-taxi and land-taxi combo to Ladera one night for dinner. The taxi - again Jonty - was great, and gave us unparalleled water views of the Pitons. The view from Ladera was spectacular, and the drinks very excellent. However, the dining experience was a let-down - our table became infested with bugs, forcing us to move to a table further away from the ledge, and the food was just so-so.

-We did our romantic dinner on our front porch - in the midst of a heaby rain storm on our last evening at Ti Kaye. The setting was romantic, the food was the best we had, and the wait staff went above and beyond to deliver such an excellent meal in such bad rain!

The one part of the vacation we did not care for was the Anse Le Raye Fish Fry. The scene was uncomfortable - and even though the resort sends along a chaperone to ensure that guests are over-charged or served week-old seafood - we still felt like we would should have taken option #2 and gone to Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay.

One note - August is the rainy season - but really wasn't that rainy at all! The rainiest day still provided enough sun to spend a few hours at the beach, and the few passing showers moved through quickly and didn't disrupt any plans.
Others have noted the construction going on at Ti Kaye on the new spa - we were in one of the closest cottages to the construction, and really didn't feel that it was a problem or disruption at all!

All-in-all, our honeymoon was absolutely perfect! We couldn't have chosen a better island or a better resort. If/when we return to St. Lucia, we will definitely book at Ti Kaye!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank julieobbagy
Reviewed 30 August 2008

Ti Kaye is a beautiful resort. The villas are cozy and private (a plunge pool is a great bonus on a few of them) and all have amazing views of the sea. We would sit on our porch in the evening and watch the sun going down and sky would change every few minutes. It is a really scenic area and they did a nice job of making a resort and still keeping the area very natural and green.

The staff is so friendly and helpful, and will do anything to make your stay pleasant. We actually shed a little tear when we had to say goodbye to a few of them. Friends of ours went about 2 months before we did, and staff still remembered them, where they sat at the bar, and the name of their dog. Staff will remember your name and room after hearing it once.

This good-will from staff spreads out - we met all the other guests and exchanged stories about good tours to go on, and many guests were exchanging e-mails by the end of the week. There was no "forced" socialization - you could opt to be private - but all the guests were friendly and helpful. When in a new place, it's very helpful to talk to others who have done tours you may want to do. We had thought about the zip line tour, but decided against it until fellow guests told us how great it was. We went, and it was the highlight of the trip.
Food was great, and the chef was very accommodating to me, since I am a vegetarian. In most places, this means some sub-standard salad or portabella mushroom dish, but the cook made delicious pasta dishes and always offered to make new items just for me. They even adjusted costs – one night I ordered the seafood pasta without the seafood, and they lowered the cost of the dish to match what I ate. This is unheard of in most places. We did a wine tasting that was lots of fun too.
The beach, while down a long flight of stairs, is great. Not the clear-blue water you associate with the Caribbean (it has more of green tint), but still able to see 30-40 feet down with ease and have great snorkeling. In fact, people came to the beach from all over to go snorkeling. The staff sets up chairs and umbrellas, and checks to make sure you are doing ok throughout the day. There are free kayaks to use, and these were a lot of fun too.
I think Ti Kaye is perfect for those who want an active, but relaxing vacation.
That being said, you should be aware of a few things. One, the beach is down 170 or so steps, which means you have to come back up too (though not for lunch or restrooms, which are down at the beach). You don't have to be an athlete to do the steps, but there are a lot of them. The beach can be busy. Due to the great snorkeling, other boats come in to snorkel a lot. We never had any problems - security makes sure the restrooms and beach chairs are for guests only - but it can get busy. By around 3:00, however, the beach was usually deserted.

Second, the villas are very rustic. No screens, just wooden slat shutters. Wildlife does become part of life in the villa. We had tree frogs, lizards, and birds all stop in to visit, which we loved. But, if that is not your thing, Ti Kaye may not be for you. We did have a small roach problem in the bathroom, but they sprayed and took care of it.

Finally, Ti Kaye is way out of the way. There is one TV in a communal area (but there is Wi Fi and phones in every room) and the overall vibe is to get away and relax. This is great, and part of why we chose it. However, you are very far away from most tours/towns (minimum of 30 minutes) and getting to places on the windy St. Lucia roads can take a long time (although any trip is full of beautiful scenery, so you can just sit back and enjoy). Any tours/trips can take a while and get costly. For example, we wanted to go to the movies one night, and the taxi alone cost us $80. If you are looking for a resort where you go out every night, either stay somewhere else or be wealthy.
How much you’ll like Ti Kaye is going to depend largely on what kind of vacation you want. If you want to relax, be largely in nature, and occasionally head out to have some fun around the island, it is ideal. If you want to party and take a tour every day, it may not be for you (unless you have a lot of money).

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marc_Leslie
Reviewed 30 August 2008

CONS
OVER PRICED!
-Horrible hard beds
-Terrible sheets and pillow that are stained.
-Poor service by front desk
-POOR HOUSEKEEPING
-EARLY MORNING CONSTRUCTION
-MOSQUITOES ALL OVER YOUR BATHROOM AND BITING BUGS

-Birds on the table competing for my food
-Poor water pressure in shower, even when it has been "fixed"
-309 stairs to the beach.
-You must love hills. Once you leave your cottage you are going uphill.
-Food overpriced and not good.
-Once you are at the resort you are not able to leave easily.

Pros
The wait staff, the bar staff, the diving.
-friendly wait and bar staff
-excellent dive staff!

To Stressful dealing with sorting out all the "problems" to relax.
However, I would stay at another resort but use this dive shop!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
7  Thank NycLike2dive
11.1 km away
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
5.5 km away
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!