“Can't wait to return to Ti Kaye...”

Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Anse Cochon
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 March 2005

I recently returned from Ti Kaye after a 6 night stay. From an overall perspective, I was extremely happy with the high quality facilities, food/drink and service. I thought the prices were very reasonable. Often, I was pleasantly shocked at the prices for drinks/meals.

We stayed in an ocean front cottage with a private plunge pool. After spending a day at the beach, it was wonderful to return to the plunge pool and then watch the sunset from our two person hammock. Our room had a king sized four poster bed with a great view of the ocean. We had little "friends" (frogs/lizards) visiting us in our room which I initally found disconcerting but definetly got more used to it.

Ti Kaye allows you to customize your mini frig so each day we would order a plate of fresh sliced fruit for $3 US dollars- including tax and gratuities. Lunches at the beach were also very reasonable - delicious 6 and 7 dollar sandwiches (including the 8 percent tax and 10 percent tip) included fries. They were large enough to split - especially after the large breakfasts included with the room rate.

Local Piton bars were also really reasonable- 2.50 US dollars including the tax/tip. Frozen drinks were under $5 and were great. Frankly, these prices are much more reasonable than I have ever come across in the Carribean and the quality was very high.

Dinners were also very tasty...an interesting and ever changing menu with an extensive wine list consisting of many wines- from value wines in the 20/30 US dollar range to expensive bottles. The wine list was geographically diverse. Most nights had some sort of musician/band playing and the live music enhanced the wonderful dining environment. We had planned on taking cabs to other resteraunts but changed our mind after having some meals. One night, there was a wonderful creole buffet with an enjoyable band. If you told me that I was going to eat in the same place 5 out of the next 6 nights, I would never predict that I could enjoy it. However, Ti Kaye was an unique exception!

As mentioned in some (most!) of the other reviews, the service is really one of a kind and a true differentiator. Having traveled extensively, I have never witnessed such a sincere and welcoming staff. Everyone is friendly, accomodating, and extremely service driven. This upbeat and pleasant attitude created a very special intimate environment.

We certainly plan on using our 10 percent off coupon for future stays, as well as recommending the property to friends/family. The guests were mostly couples of all ages so I am as comfortable recommending the place to my friends in their 20's as I am with my parents in their late 50's. For older couples or those who are not particularly limber, I suggest asking for a cottage that does not require as much walking up steep hills. I do not recommend high heels or stilettos!

During our next trip, we look forward to getting scuba certified. Everyone spoke very highly about the instructors and the teaching sessions in the pool and sea. Next time, I won't just partake in the wonderful massages on my ocean front porch (60 for an hr), but will be more ambitious and try the diving as well!!!

• Stayed: March 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 14 March 2005

Just returned from 7 perfect nights at the Ti Kaye. I won't be redundant with all the reviews here. It's obvious that this is THE place to stay in St. Lucia. I'll try to add a few things: The staff is the high point of the place, because the friendliness is real, not fake. These are some of the coolest folks on the planet, and you should try to get to know them, just as they will surely try to get to know you! This place runs as smoothly as a well oiled machine...all transportation, tours, etc are right on time and every taxi driver or tour guide we had was awesome (Especially Alexander the Great at the Botanical Garden...he was quite simply the most entertaining guy I have ever met! Insist on him if you can!). I was pleasantly suprised that all the tour boats stayed down at the other end of the bay; a few folks would wander down to our end, look around, take one look at the staircase, and wander back to the boat :). No problem! The Seafood festival was great because the locals are super friendly and patient. The food was excellent. And, the resort food is beyond excellent...this is NOT all inclusive slop. We were so impressed, we bought the chef's cookbook to try a few dishes at home! We had a small problem with our A/C one night, and it was fixed promptly the next morning. There is simply not a bad word to be said about the Ti Kaye.
One final note: Do the math and you'll quickly see that for luxury and affordability, this place can't be equaled. For about $100 less per night than the other 2 or 3 "fancy" places on St. Lucia, you get your own personal, private cottage, a full breakfast and 3 or 4 tours/activities. The other places give you the room, PERIOD. We felt that our money was well spent at the Ti Kaye, and you will too. Go!

15  Thank Pir8guy
A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 9 March 2005

If you're looking for a quiet, out-of-the-way piece of Caribbean splendor then Tikaye Village is the place for you. After spending one week there I can say without a doubt that I will come again on my next visit to St. Lucia. The cabins are more than accommodating and the outside shower is absolutely divine. Even if you're not standing under the water you're not cold because you're standing in the sun getting a tan! The staff are friendly and make the experience wholly personal because they take the time to talk to you, learn your name, and a little bit about where you come from and what has brought you to St. Lucia and Tikaye.

There are 168 stairs that lead down to the black sand beach. Make sure to bring your sandals because that sand gets hot in the midday sun (and that's no joke!). Yes, a lot of party boats come to the cove between 9 AM and 4 PM but they're not obtrusive or obnoxious. If anything you can sit in your room relaxing and listen to the music drifiting up from the boats. In my opinion it just makes the experience of Tikaye that much more unique.

For people that don't like the beach there is an adequate pool that gets just as much sun and has comfortable lounge chairs. If you're interested in working out there is a fitness center however, it is small and only has 2 cardio machines (stair master and stationary bike) and then free weights and bench press. Be prepared to sweat though. The room is naturally ventilated (ie: open windows) and if there's no breeze the humidity will make sure you're good and soaked by the time you leave.

Dinner reveals a different menu each night and it is an understatement to say the food is fantastic. Everything is full of flavor and cooked just right. I never once felt like I had ordered the wrong thing. And if you're there with a partner (which everyone is) you can eat off of their plate and try something different.

Make sure to hit up the fish fry on Friday night in Anse LaRaye. Tikaye provides a sign up board and then has a taxi take you to and from the village. It is a lot of fun and the food is cheap and tasty.

If you can, try to travel by water taxi when going to Castries or Soufriere. The roads in St. Lucia are not ideal and there are no straight-aways. You're either going up the mountain or down the mountain with lots of twists and turns in between. Traveling to/from the airport you might find yourself getting a little car sick so be sure to pack some dramamine or something similar.

Tikaye is not the best place for children. The majority of the guests are couples who are either on their honeymoon or looking for a quiet getaway. There are no activities designed specifically for young guests so if you do bring children you might find yourself having to entertain them constantly. Tikaye is also not great for disabled people. Many of the cabins require you to traverse down a semi-steep slope and/or stairs. Not a problem if your able-bodied but it might be awkward and taxing if you have mobility problems (see note about the 168 stairs leading to the beach).

All in all, Tikaye is charming and you get a lot of bang for your buck (compare the prices to other hotels in the area: Anse Chastenet, Jalousie Hilton, Sandals all-inclusive ... you'll see what I mean).

If you're going to be in St. Lucia - stay at Tikaye ... it is well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2005
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 March 2005

For location, food, service and price Ti Kaye is hard to beat, though it may not be for everyone.
First the plusses. They are many. The setting is dramatic and peacful. The cottages are tiered on the side of a steep hill, which ends in a 50-foot cliff overlooking a benign blue sea. Each cottage is surrounded by natural and carefully arranged plantings, giving plenty of privacy. A porch and hammock invite you to just sit there and stare at the trees, sky, sea, clouds and sun. Inside, the cottages are neat and spacious and a cool evening breeze made the air conditioner superfluous. A short walk from the restaurant/main office and down a long flight of stairs takes you to the beach, a combination of white and black sand, which can get very hot at midday. Just a few feet from the water's edge, the coral reefs starts and the snorkeling is splendid.
The food at the restaurant, Kaye Mange, was New York quality (I live here and don't like it, but the food is good), and service was usually pretty prompt.
The front office was most helpful in arranging day trips, scheduling a massage, even putting a cable TV in our room one night for the Oscars.
What really made the difference was the staff. A friendlier, harder working group would be tough to find. Ti Kaye operated with a smooth efficiency that belies St. Lucia's laidback nature.
Even the outdoor shower was a pleasure and washing up at night under the stars was calming and novel.
The minuses are few. There are no screens on the windows, so bugs can get in the room, though I was only bitten once in five days and that was outdoors. Lizards and frogs also can get in the room. That didn't bother us, though for the squeamish traveler it might be more than they bargained for.
Another minor annoyance -- the local merchants on the beach. I know they're only trying to make some money, but every day they try to sell you the same necklaces, carvings, trinkets and ganga. While they were all very nice -- with one exception -- it's a chore to so "no" over and over. (Ti Kaye is not unique in this respect and you will encounter the same thing everywhere in St. Lucia and the rest of the Caribbean.)
Last, a number of day trippers on huge catamarans show up at the beach, which is among the island's best. So while the beach can be very quiet at times, it also can get crowded.

• Stayed: February 2005
9  Thank James G
Reviewed 8 March 2005

I stayed with my partner in January 2005 for 4 nights, and can highly recommend it. We stayed in a ocean view cottage, the room was spacious, clean & serviced efficiently. The mosquitos are most certainly in abundance here, but expected as you are in the middle of a forest! Bring some strong repellent & cover up at night. The beds all have mosquito nets & bug spray is provided. We found the staff to be the number one asset to the resort - from when we checked in and were offered a welcome drink, to our departure.

The restaurant is simply superb - food is of an excellent standard, nicely presented & very good value for money. They also have a very good wine list - I even managed to find a South African white that I hadn't seen since visiting the vineyard a couple of years before! My only criticism of the restaurant was that service was sometimes slow, especially at breakfast (sometimes taking an hour - but hey, we're on holiday!).

The beach is very nice, with an excellent beach bar & restaurant with the waves lapping against it. We found that the local sellers were very amenable and chatted to you pleasantly whilst trying their hardest to sell their wares! We didn't find the visiting boats too much of a problem, we actually saw 5 boats in the small bay at one time - their visitors just kept themselves to one end of the beach.

We took a days excursion by water taxi to Soufrieres to visit the Jerusalem baths, volcano & see the Pitons which were very impressive. We spent lunch at Ladera, which is to be highly recommended - with quite the most awesome views, very reasonably priced. Ryan, the taxi driver was very helpful & friendly.

Overall, we both really enjoyed Ti Kaye - I am loathed to recommend it as I don't want it to be full the next time I try to make a reservation though!!!

• Stayed: January 2005
7.3 km away
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ti Kaye Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!