See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Great place, I definitely recommend staying at PBL for anyone who wants a quiet getaway in a beautiful country. There are restaurants a few minutes walk away and the lodge is directly on a beach with great surf, and many more spots in the area. The house has a kitchen and we cooked fresh fish almost every day. The rooms all have aircon and all in all it's a very comfortable house. Thanks Rob and Susan for providing the great hospitality!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 11 May 2013

So glad i went on this trip. Me and a friend stayed at Popoyo beach lodge for 9 days, the surf was outstanding and the accommodation was very comfortable and I would certainly reccommend this lodge to anyone considering going on a surfing vacation. The wave out in front of the lodge is one the most consistent beach breaks that I have heard of and is a very excellent wave. We did a boat tour with Robert and had a very enjoyable day. The few restaurants that are close by offer excellent food,with the best being the West Side. The lodge offers Wi-Fi which is great especially being so far from home. I will definitely be going back sometime in the near future.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ryan d
Reviewed 5 February 2013

I stayed at the Popoyo beach lodge in December for one week. I had a great time. The accommodation is right on the beach and very comfortable. My sole purpose in going there was to surf as much as I could, and this location enabled me to do just that. Directly out the front of the lodge is a beach break, which when it fires has a great right hander. The main reef break in Popyo is about a 20 minute walk up the beach each way. The reef break is very reliable and had waves every day while I was there. The beach is spectacular and unspoiled.

The accommodation was very comfortable. It has a shared bathroom and kitchen which are clean and function well. The room I stayed in had air-conditioning (not sure about the others). The owners Susan and Robert are great people and very helpful, they are close by if you need them.

The location is up the quiet end of the beach, which is great to limit crowds on the beach break. You're about a 20 minute walk from the few restaurants in Popoyo.

I'd highly recommend Popoyo Beach lodge to anyone wanting to go on a surfing holiday.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe H
Reviewed 26 November 2012

My husband and I stayed in PBL for 6 nights in July 2012 for our honeymoon, and could not have had a better time! Robert and Susan are the best; Susan always answered the phone and got back with emails almost immediately. Their communication is amazing. Susan also collected some rocks on the beach and shaped them into a heart on our bed since she knew we were on our honeymoon. It was an adorable touch that made everything a little more special. Robert is awesome and knows everything there is to know about the area. He is also a total bada**. They both came down the hill to the lodge at least once a day if not more, (they live up on a hill nearby in a beautiful resort-type place that you can stay in as well if you're not on as tight of a budget) so they were always accessible if there was a problem, which there wasn't.
The lodge itself is a really cool beachfront house with four rooms, a bathroom, living area, kitchen, and enormous front porch with hammocks. It was total bliss to nap there after a surf. The kitchen is fully equipped. We suggest, as Robert and Susan will as well, that you stop in Rivas on the way in to pick up groceries if you're going to cook, since the only market in Popoyo is a little expensive and doesn't have the best selection. There are a couple of cute restaurants in town. We ate at Hotel Popoyo almost every night and it was delicious.
As far as surf goes, the beach break in front of the lodge is pretty heavy. My husband had a great time surfing it, but I loved the Popoyo break down the beach. It's a lot like Lowers in CA. It's kind of a hike, but we did it every day and it was fine. It would probably be much easier to rent bikes (also from Robert and Susan) or just drive if you have a car. Those are the only two breaks we surfed just because of our budget, but if you have a little extra cash Robert will take you to some other places in the area that are apparently really fun as well.
Overall we had a great time staying in Popoyo Beach Lodge. Everything was perfect and we are trying to convince my family to do a trip next summer to stay there again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room farthest back on the right and have no complaints about it. There are two double beds and A/C in it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ErinandJ0sh
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My friend and i split a room in the popoyo beach lodge and it came out to less than $250 for a whole week , you cannot argue with that . During our stay in the lodge we had access to many great surf breaks , beachy ( the beach break strait out front of the house was and fun wave at high tide ) another break very close to the lodge was popoyo if you don't have a vehicle you can ride a bike there in about 20 minutes (or walk in double that time ). popoyo had waves at both high and low tide so you can always surf it or body-board or what ever you may do to enjoy a wave. there are so many spots to surf and they are all different than the other and the wind is always off shore and the waves were a MINIMUM of chest high that is a very small day there considering my first day was double over head plus!!
So your thinking about going to Nicaragua but your afraid it will be to expensive ? well if you can find a travel buddy and split many expenses it is actually much cheaper than i expected , i came home with a lot of money left over . if you can split expenses such as checking surfboard bags , room , taxi , and groceries you will save much money which i think is everybody's objective when traveling i spent a total of about 1400 including a plane ticket on the whole trip but i'm also 17 and don't buy much although i did eat out about 4 or 5 times
the lodge had a very open deck that when i wasn't surfing i was moseying around on with 4 hammocks and about 10 chairs and a table its a easy place to fall asleep after a long surf session . behind the sliding glass door is the kitchen with a stove , oven , microwave , fridge , freezer and there is plates and cups there for you. the rooms in the lodge have ac which is a savor from the tropic sun when your trying to go to bed ( the room got cold very quick !!) . the place was clean and a steel for the money , il be back next year !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends