“Excellent food in small Saxmundham”
Review of The Bell Hotel

The Bell Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Restaurants in Saxmundham
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Note that although this is an hotel, I believe it should have a separate listing as a restaurant. I shall post a restaurant review, when listed.
Reviewed 5 March 2018

The Bell Hotel is the only hotel in Saxmundham. Its William Morris hallway and large flagstones create an attractive entrance to this old building in the heart of the village. The menu has a good mix of meat, fish and vegetarian and the service is friendly. I especially liked the smoked haddock. The portions are very generous and local produce is used.

2  Thank FionaDuby
Jonathan N, Owner at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Thank you for your review, I am glad you enjoyed your experience with us.

Reviewed 13 February 2018 via mobile

£20 Groupon voucher visit, starters with a beer and a glass of wine followed crab linguine and lobster risotto. £20. Not each, together. Oh my days the bell wins again on all fronts, food and service were spot on

1  Thank TheWilsonclan18
Jonathan N, Owner at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2018

Fabulous, so pleased you enjoyed your meal. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

What on earth is going on here?. I am extremely concerned about the way this establishment I entered the bar at 6pm, expecting to relax with a drink whilst waiting for my husband to collect me, after Christmas shopping.The bar was deserted, and I waited for a member of staff to appear. I stood at the bar for about 10 mins, no sign of bar staff, I sat down, another 10 mins went by. A man from the restaurant came through with two empty pint glasses, waiting to be served, he waited for 5 mins, no one came, and he left. I ventured out to the reception desk, where two female staff were working in the back office, but did not notice me. I went back to the bar. I heard voices say, "I think there is someone in the bar", no one came through. Then, eventually, a two women came in, moaned about something to do with after work drinks, one left, whilst the other got herself a drink, and then sat at the bar. No one even asked me if I wanted anything.
My husband arrived, and I left. I won't be coming back. Not very good customer relations.

Jonathan N, Owner at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that. We stay open throughout the day and when it is quiet we get on with what ever is needed. So I am sorry that you were not seen from the office. I can assure you that this does not usually happen and we will make sure it doesn't happen again.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

6 of us dined on Saturday evening. It started off with the wine being brought to the table and not being asked if we wanted to try it! The starter was excellent but when we asked for further serviettes a pile of them were slapped down. The main course was very good and we then waited a while before being asked if we wanted dessert. We declined but the waitress then vanished and we didn’t see her again until we had to go and find her to ask for the bill as our taxi was due to arrive. The small stereo was unplugged in the dining room whilst we were in the room. When we were leaving to wait for our taxi we had to go via the side door and walk round the building due to the main door being locked. No offer was made for us to stay inside and watch for the taxi on such a cold evening. A smile and some cheerfulness would have been a nice gesture.

We are all local to this restaurant and would have liked to say we would return but sadly we will not be doing so.

3  Thank MrandMrsRD

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and so sorry on this occasion you were not happy with the service. We do try our utmost to please and we will be looking to improve this aspect of The Bell. So pleased at least you enjoyed your food.

Reviewed 28 October 2017

The portions were a little small, only 3 small scallops in the £8.50 starter and the sea bass was quite tiny for the main but it was all quite tasty and well presented. Spoilt a bit with the waitress being a little surly.

Jonathan N, Owner at The Bell Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Thank you for your review, I have to say we normally receive the opposite response in that our portions are large. We will certainly have a look to make sure the portions remain generous and appreciate you letting us know.