All reviews salt spring island gas fireplace goat cheese saturday market beautiful view glass of wine balcony harbour garden saltspring pub sunrise renos vancouver galleries retreat yummy
Reviewed 31 August 2017

So these folks are just going under renos, so it can't be easy running a hotel, at high season, on a small gulf island. First time we stayed in an unrenovated room (needed love) and this second trip we had a really nicely renovated room. Such a nice room, for a really good price (great value for your money) and even included breakfast. Super location, you can walk downtown to Ganges and hit the market early on Saturday. Staff were friendly, we will be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view if possible
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

We have stayed here a few times in the past and have always been really happy with the conditions and service we received. This past stay was an absolute shock and misrepresentation of what we expected. Both rooms we booked were absolutely disgusting, the carpets very dirty, no air conditioning (we had 2 fans), paint peeling, rubble outside our door, dangerous for kids to play outside, the furniture looked like it came from a dump, exterior building falling apart with old bugs in the window ledges. All in all I wouldn’t stay in these rooms if they paid me.
I complained to the manageress when we arrived and she brushed me off blaming everything on me and the booking site we used. The next morning I couldn’t take this anymore and asked the check-in person to do something immediately.
We were put into 2 new renovated rooms without balconies. These rooms were nice but did not have the balcony I had paid for (1 room). When we checked out I was told there was no discount for anything and that I would not be charged the $150 upgrade cost for the rooms we received the second night.(The manageress was also miraculously off for the day.)
My family and I have been travelling for many years, I can safely say this was by far the worst hotel experience we have ever had.
In my opinion, their management gives their staff 0% ability to do anything for the guests, and they were totally unwilling to help us resolve the room issue. These rooms and the grounds could possibly be a hazard and nobody should have to experience or tolerate this on their vacation, especially when you paying almost $1000 for 2 rooms for 2 nights. If I could rate it a ZERO, I would.

Room Tip: Rather find another hotel!
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank DeanCathy154943
Reviewed 18 August 2017

This place is terrible - they are under construction and they really should not be open. The personnel was uninterested and uncaring, the place was a mess (bathroom as you arrive was a 5 minute walk from the reception). No working ice machine middle of the summer, sawdust everywhere. My husband walked into a tree branch that should have been cut off walking through their "detour" to get to the reception. Did I mention there is no light in the path? A total disaster for top dollar!

Room Tip: Request the renovated rooms - others a disaster
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank LilianB98052
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my wife and 4 other couples for a wedding. After the wedding a number of couples were locked out of their rooms. There was no late night number or way of finding help. No staff on site. There is no one on site after close. There was a fact we didn't know asleep in the hall that couldn't get in their room. Great people fyi.....and we bought them a beer!

As we tried for help, with no answer from the entire staff list available on the list at the empty front desk, which included client information and staff information such as SIN numbers. To be clear.....many messages later in e days and not even a call.

We ultimately got those locked out in with a fob at the front desk that opened all the doors in the hotel. No security, just free fob acess in at the vacant desk.

One of our effected friends left 4 voice mail messages for the staff, and happens to be a hotel consultant/critic and not even the courtesy of a reply.

Renos are great, even though not done. But without question the most bizarre lack of security, client safety, and lack of care I have seen. And I say this encouraging you to see my always positive responses on this site.

Complete joke, security nightmare and clearly no management at all. If you stay here, anyone can come into your rooms as desired.

Unlikely the invisible management will respond to this. But stay away. Sad for a great property, but don't put your family at risk.

Sad as it was my best friends wedding. But a shocking experience. Unless you see they have new management ownership...this is a complete joke and miss.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Eugene P
Reviewed 14 August 2017

I would give it a zero if I could. This hotel is not ready to be open to the public. Newly renovated rooms are nice and have huge balconies. Only problem is that the balcony opens directly onto the "under construction" future entry roof and there are workers banging around outside your window first thing in the morning.....along with a huge pump truck delivering concrete for a patio pour. Front manager smiles inanely through any and every comment or complaint. I came back from spending the evening with my Mum (at 10 p.m.) to find the front desk deserted and a sign saying they would return at 6 a.m. Door to lobby was unlocked and anyone could have walked in off the street. Apparently they do not activate the locking system until late at night!!!! Went to my room (209) to find the door standing open (the deadbolt locking mechanism had been activated and thus prevented the door from closing). Apparently the staff had decided to bless us with their presence but neglected to lock up when finished. Decided not to enter the room until I had someone from management with me.....only problem is they do not have anyone who answers the phone after the front desk person leaves for the night. NO ONE AT ALL!!! Went next door to my daughter's room and had her and my 6'2" grandson accompany me into the room to make sure everything was clear. Needless to say did not have a restful night. In the morning, I asked to speak to the manager....and she acknowledged that "maybe they should have a discussion with staff about being more careful when they leave a room" and assured me that "sometime in the future" they would be hiring a night person!!! She also advised me that Salt Spring is a very safe place where nothing bad ever happens!! Unbelievably, that night when I returned (at around 9:45 p.m.) there was no one at the front desk and the sign was out again. Talked to the manager again and she could not have been more unconcerned. Relayed to her that an older couple had mentioned to me that they had the same experience and could not find anyone to help them with a problem during the evening before. She just shrugged it off. This is one strange place......poorly trained cleaning staff; a tyrant in the breakfast area who will not let you pour a cup of coffee because it is 2 minute to 9 and she closes at 9; a manager who is absolutely useless and could care less; and, constant construction in every direction.

Room Tip: Insist on a renovated room when you make your reservation. Several upset clients who were assigned to old, nasty rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family