“Birthday treat.”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 30 March 2018

Had seen great reviews, so wanted to give it a try as my Birthday was looming (not that I care to remember them in my latter years!!) It certainly lived up to expectations! First thing to note was that the Prosecco was the best I have ever tasted! That got things off to a good start.My starter was the confit duck which was full of very interesting and exciting flavour combinations----clean and zingy, and very satisfying.Kathy had the salmon which she declared to be excellent. Then came the mains :- veal for her, pork for me. The port jus with the pork was amazing and the crust on the pork was truly flavoursome. Kathy ordered the Cappuccino dessert, which I cheekily sampled (!) it was truly decadent with acres of cream, and not a little alcohol! A very good meal indeed, and I want to return in the not too distant future to sample that Cote de Boeuf! I can't wait!

1  Thank kenriley

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

We had read good reviews of this village pub so chose to visit for our anniversary.
On arrival it was very welcoming with a small, cosy bar with comfy seating and a friendly atmosphere.
The restaurant area was compact and not quite as homely but well decorated.
The menu apparently changes very regularly and we must have picked the wrong day for us.
I'm a fish eating vegetarian. My main course choices were limited to pasta or fish and chips. I rarely eat pasta on a night out - I cook it regularly at home and £17 is, I feel, excessive for fish and chips.
We did ask if there were any all alternatives and I was offered a plate of vegetables. I opted for the fish and chips.
The starters were tasty and well presented. The fish and chips were not. The batter was very thick and almost chewy rather than crispy. The chips were fries that wouldn't have been out of place in McDonald's. My partner's lamb was thick and quite grisly and the accompanying red cabbage was rather overwhelming. He suggested less of that and more 'green' would have provided a more balanced meal.
We, unusually, turned down dessert preferring not to set ourselves up for a third course of disappointment.
The waiter seemed surprised when we said the meal was 'ok but not special' but didn't seem concerned beyond that.
We'd pop in for a drink if we were passing but wouldn't choose to eat there again.

Ralph O, Owner at The George & Dragon, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Good afternoon,

Firstly I am sorry to hear the food at The George and Dragon wasn’t up to expectation.

We source all of our meat from high end suppliers. We only buy our fish from day boats, this meaning it is less than 48 hours from the fish being caught to the fish being on your plate. Thus meaning the fish is a little more expensive for a fresh fish. Also the skrei cod we have on at the moment is only available for two months of the year, it’s also a very high grade fish. The batter is also prepared fresh everyday.

We did an in house survey trying 4 different styles and techniques of cooking chips. The most popular from our choices were indeed the skinny fries. Aplogies you thought these were not up to expectations.

The lamb I’m sorry to hear was grissly, we do use a local supplier of lamb which is normally brilliant.

We have a very small kitchen in the George and Dragon meaning we can only do 5 dishes maximum. We could do 10 however we wouldn’t want our standards to slip or rush the food. Therefore we can only offer one vegetarian option.

I hope this has answered any concerns you may have had.

Kind regards

Ralph Offer

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

If your looking for fresh, delicious & amazing food this is the place to go. The staff are attentive & the place has a lovely atmosphere which is sometimes hard to achieve. Your all doing an amazing job.....

1  Thank Janet S
Reviewed 11 March 2018

We ate at the restaurant last night, very welcoming, fantastic service, wonderful food & very fresh, the trout was caught only that morning, absolutely delicious, Wine & Beer perfect also, will be returning very soon.

3  Thank himandher279
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I took my mother here for lunch today, based on recommendations locally. Well, it exceeded all my expectations.

The welcome was warm, a good selection of gins and tables large. The lunch menu is simple but has something for everyone. We both had the salmon tartar for a starter, which was incredibly fresh and lifted by fennel and delicious leaves.

Mother had locally reared veal for her main course and I had the cod and chips. Just divine. I’ve already re-booked to go with friends.

1  Thank The Teacher7