“Very enjoyable first visit”

The Victoria in Barnt Green
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

We visited here with friends on Saturday eve and were surprised how busy and buzzing it was. We had booked a table a week earlier but the earliest they could take us was 830 so we should have guessed it was a popular place.
We were given a nice little alcove though it was very hot and radiator next to us was blasting out which wasn't required with the pub being so full. The ladies toilets were also very wet on the floor as if the loo leaked and there was no loo paper left by 1030 so not pleasant in there. Not in keeping with rest of pub which is smart. I note a previous reviewer had same experience.
Food wise it was very good. We all had starters and mains which were all attractively presented. Salt and pepper squid was tasty and the brie and mushroom dishes both went down well too. My main of lamb from the specials was excellent - v tender and well cooked with a rich sauce. 2 others of our group had different fish and felt they both were just slightly overdone. Wagyu burgers were nice but we didn't really grasp what made the meat so special compared to the normal homemade burger.
Overall a lovely evening in a good pub with buzzing atmosphere - just get those toilets under control as they are obviously not up to the level of usage in this busy place!!

GENERAL MANAGER A, Manager at The Victoria in Barnt Green, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2017

Hello!

First of all thank you for your visit and for taking the time to provide helpful feedback! I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your meals when you came to visit and the atmosphere that The Victoria is known for. Unfortunately, we have been experiencing some difficulties with the restrooms, but I can assure you that these have since resolved and they've been given a spruce up in time for spring!
We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 8 January 2017

I have just got in after eating at the Victoria the food is exceptional, the atmosphere good, staff friendly, prices high so you do expect the toilets to be at least clean but no out of three ladies toilets two had broken seats and the other blocked and very dirty the men's toilets were flooded and the male members of our group had to wade through water to use them. I pointed it out to a member of staff and asked if they had a cleaner no she said the staff have to clean them as well as waiting on tables. I am very disappointed because I have been there before and for the toilets to let a establishment down it is such a shame that there is no pride and I think some sort of inspectors should pay them a visit.

Hello Pauline!

Thanks a lot for your review and feedback. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit, the food and the service that you received. We do take pride in these aspects as well as the surroundings that we welcome our guests into. Unfortunately, we have been experiencing a few difficulties with the restrooms over the past few weeks but I can assure you that these have since been resolved.
We hope this doesn't affect your decision to visit us once again and we would love to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 6 January 2017

I've been to the Vic a number of times for drinks and/or food since it was 'gentrified' a few years back - the food has always been pretty good but the service and atmosphere can be a bit of let-down. There are a lot of tables squeezed into a small space, and when there are lots of drinkers at the bar it can all get a bit chaotic.
So I was a bit unsure when it was decided to have the office Christmas meal there, imagining that with a party of 10 a few days before Christmas there was a lot of potential for things to go wrong! I rang up the week before and asked if we needed to pre-order as we were a big group, but was told it wasn't necessary. I was also told that my allergy requirements could be taken care of on the day, because "the kitchen are pretty good at that sort of thing".
On arrival, we spotted two empty tables set for 10. One was a large square table - the next best thing to having a round table, in terms of holding a conversation - and in a much better position than the other, which was a long table with 5 places on one side, 4 on the other and a chair at one end (with no leg room), and in the walkway to the kitchen. When a waitress came over to us, we asked if we could have the square table, but were told the other one had been assigned to us. Surely at this stage it would have made no odds, especially as I believe the pub has a policy of not guaranteeing specific tables?
I think it probably would have been better to pre-order, as the service wasn't particularly swift, but then again we weren't in any rush. Unfortunately the allergy situation was not handled too well – I was given a copy of the allergy book and pretty much every dish says it contains milk (including, bizarrely, the gammon) but doesn't specify if it's cow/goat/sheep, so I had to get our waitress to go and seek further clarification from the kitchen. It seemed they weren't able to adapt many of the dishes, so there were only a few options that I could have. One of the cow's milk-free dishes listed was sticky chicken, which I've had before, but apparently this has now been removed from the menu and the book was out of date. This is exactly why I had rung up in advance to discuss my options with the kitchen, because the last thing you want is to delay the ordering process with multiple questions on the day.
To cut a long story short I ended up with fish and chips for the main course, which was very good indeed. . . but not quite the sort of thing I would have chosen for a special occasion. However, my starter – Black Angus bresaola – was delicious and unusual. The desserts were not suitable for me, but they did rustle up some plain strawberries (seven, to be precise!). I and a colleague then ordered mulled wine instead of tea/coffee, but unfortunately it wasn't very nice at all - how disappointing!
On the whole, my fellow diners enjoyed their dishes, although there were a few minor issues. The turkey dinner, which said it came with pigs in blankets (plural) was only served with just one. A couple of people asked for one extra, but were told it was only possible to order a bowlful as a side dish - which was of course added to the bill! The bread sauce never turned up either. Then with the desserts, those who had the chocolate torte spotted that the glossy surface of the cake was embossed with the fingerprints of the person who plated it up. . . just a minor detail but a tad off-putting.
Finally, the table we'd ended up at featured a banquette seat along one side, which seemed to be built into a radiator or heater. Those of us on that side were really overheating and asked various staff members to turn the heater down or off. They said they would do so, but it never happened. At the end we mentioned it again to the main waitress and she said it wasn't actually possible to turn this heater off without switching off the heating in the entire pub! Again, not a huge issue but you do want your diners to be comfortable, and it's rarely cold enough to warrant a heater in the back of your seat.
I'm aware that this has turned into one long complaint, so let me re-iterate that the food itself was very good - it's the other aspects that have led to the 3-star rating.

Hello,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing The Victoria as the location for your party and also for taking the time to provide feedback via TripAdvisor. I'm pleased to read that overall you enjoyed the quality of the food despite the other issues raised.

First of all with regards to the tables, we often use the large square table you mentioned for the largest party of the night. If you were 10 in your party but we also have a table of 14 booked in, we would have to use this table for them. We always do everything we can to accommodate the requests of our guests but it is possible this was the reason that you were unable to swap in this instance.

With regards to you allergens and dietary requirements, it does appear that there has been a miscommunication. We are obliged to use the allergen guide provided to us by the brand which does have some variation between menus. hence why dishes such as Sticky Chicken are still present. In terms of what we can do, I will ensure that I relay your feedback to the team so that we can maintain absolute clarity when it comes to allergens and what we can do to make it as easy as possible for our guests to be able to order an enjoyable meal. This is generally something that we are well equipped for but there seems to have been a misstep on this particular occasion.

I'll also ensure that I pass on all the other points raised to the front and back of house teams to ensure that we can iron out these issues and make the experiences for our guest as enjoyable as possible.

I hope your experience at The Victoria hasn't put you off visiting us once again and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2017

We go here regularly for meals, as a couple and with family, each time we go we have an excellent meal, the staff are very friendly and always happy to help, especially Kelly, the meals are freshly cooked and piping hot when they get to the table. We always feel really relaxed when going to the vic, never feel rushed to finish our meals.

Hello!

Thank you very much for your lovely feedback and for your visit to The Vic! I've already passed on your kind words to the team and personally to Kelly too! I'm pleased to read you enjoy the food that we provide and the atmosphere that goes with it!
We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We eat here regularly but unfortunately the meal was awful
Fillet steak was tough, the cheese tart served with the steak was a sloppy mess and the twice cooked chips soft and tasted burnt.
Best avoid this one. Bring back the old fillet steak platter please.

Hello Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback to us! I'm sorry to read that you didn't enjoy your steak when you visited. We encourage feedback both negative and positive, so I will pass this on to the Back of House team. I would also encourage you to alert your section waiter or waitress if you are not 100% satisfied with your meal, they will be happy to help and do their best to make sure you leave happy!