“A great summer spot with good food.”

La Trattoria Italiana
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Madeira Park
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2017

During nice weather you must sit on the (covered) patio. Nice view and cool breezes.
Started off with a drink - red sangria. Full of fruit and very good. Next shared a caprese salad. It was OK but the tomatoes were pretty bland. I thought those B.C. hothouse tomatoes were so close.

Entrees were pasta with pesto (average to good) and local grilled halibut (excellent). Finished up with tiramisu, served in a parfait glass with ladyfingers sticking out the top. A different presentation.

Service was competent but overworked at a few points. Table was set with bread plates, but there was no bread to be had.

I would like to return and try some of the other menu items such as boar.

Reviewed 21 June 2017

My sister & I enjoyed a special event dinner of 5 courses with wine while staying at the resort. Wonderful service, lovely views of the lagoon & Ruby lake!

1  Thank aletad52
Reviewed 10 May 2017

Our dear friends took us here for a special birthday celebration. They are in the "business" and have spent decades in the food and hospitality business. Accordingly, I suspected it would be good...but I had no idea how good. We were greeted immediately by a friendly hostess who took us to a lovely rustic table next to the stone fireplace. The restaurant has a rustic Italian farmhouse feel to it: warm, cozy and the stage for the owner and chef Aldo to play his symphony of culinary expertise. Pete suggested that instead of ordering off the menu, we let Aldo "create" something. Generally I do not like to give up control of what I order, but I was a good sport and obliged our hosts. Aldo came out of the kitchen, greeted us and then retreated with a quick, "I makka you dinner!" What followed was bruschetta to die for, a salad with sturgeon smoked in-house, and two amazing pastas with mushrooms and wild boar and local caught steelhead salmon. This guy is the real deal. He knows how to pair ingredients and present as if the dish was a work of art. Wine selections are great and appropriate for pairing with the various dishes. Let me not forget that this restaurant sits on a beautiful lake that is a sanctuary for a wide array of wildlife. Aldo works hard to create a venue that goes well beyond just the restaurant. Lastly, I would say that if you travel within 150 miles of the Ruby Lake Resort, it is well worth the detour!

1  Thank jdboleyesq
Reviewed 29 April 2017

We came upon this place by chance, and were really impressed with the decor - wood panelling, and all kinds of artisanal wood work pieces. There are big wooden platters with handles (covet, covet) used in summer to display produce from their gardens. The food is "real" Italian, and the day we were there featured wild boar with wild mushrooms as an entree, as well as wild boar sausage pasta. The sauteed mixed veg that came with my entree were fresh and cooked to crisp perfection. One shared starter, two entrees, a bottle of red, and a shared dessert came to about $140 CDN with tip, so it's not a "grab a bite" place, but is very good value for money. The staff were great.

Reviewed 27 January 2017

Always enjoy stopping in for some tasty food from La Trattoria, I really enjoy their lunch. I do wish they would offer more Italian coffee, but otherwise I would highly recommend this place to eat.