Stilts Backpackers
Diani Backpackers(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
US$38
Priceline
  • Pool
Diani Blue(Diani Beach)
US$138
Waterlovers Beach Resort(Diani Beach)
US$294
Villa Kalista(Diani Beach)
US$329
Jumia Travel
US$476
US$666
Jumia Travel
All reviewsbush babiestree houseforty thievesgreat place to stayshared bathroombudget accommodationthieves barthe cottageshot wateryour doorstepbeach barstayed for nightsother gueststhe location is perfectevery eveningcave restaurantcalamari
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I have no idea on how to write this without it sounding like I am being paid to write this (I am not).

I was booked at Stilts for 3 nights while in Diani to celebrate by best friends birthday and it being a backpackers, I expected it to be your typical bare-minimum, no thrills and frills, sleep, eat and go place.

It wasn't.

I was pleasantly surprised. From the main reception area which doubles as a bar/restaurant/chill spot, to the various types of accommodation (tree houses, tents, cottages) spread out in the forest housing it, Stilts was very well laid out. Not only that, it was extremely clean, had flushing toilets (that work) and showers with hot water.

The cottage I was booked into was very spacious. The main room had a double bed and a single bed, and still had room to add a few more. It had a large adjoining bathroom with a shower, a toilet and a sink. It also had a small verandah outside with a table, couple of chairs and a spare bed. This became my fav spot as soon as I woke to hear the birds chirping away in the forest and at night before bed to listen to the stillness of Africa.

The staff were incredibly responsive and friendly, so much so that they became intuitive by my second night. Wayne, the owner, was always on hand to assist in any way and whose hands on approach and attention left me feeling like a VIP. Since the sentiments were shared by other guests at Stilts, I can state that he is a superb host.

(Wayne gives a small talk on Bush Babies during their feeding time 7pm sharp daily.)

The coup de grace was the food. Despite trying many of the famous 5-star restaurants around Diani, I kept coming back to Stilts for their fish curry. The chips mayai, the tomato soup, the vegetable curry and the entire smorgasbord that is their menu alone is worth opting for Stilts.

Now here is the confusing bit. Despite the 5* food and accommodation, everything at Stilts still priced like a regular 1* backpackers!!!

You CANNOT go wrong with this option. Good food, great people, awesome atmosphere, pocket friendly. Be back soon!

Room Tip: Get a cottage and share it with a few friends, esp Cottage No. 7
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Samdave69
WayneToronto, Owner at Stilts Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Wow, I don't even know what to say right now....(humbled) Thank You soooo much for your incredibly amazing review. I am so pleased to hear you were thrilled with everything and we thank you so much. Truthfully it's the guest that really make Stilts what it is. Yes we help a bit...but it's awesome guests like yourself that chose to interact, share stories or a drink with others (or myself:P ), that create the chilled vibe we all love so much.

From the entire Stilts team:
We thank you

Safe travels...till next time

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We stayed at Stilts Backpackers 4 night. The most amazing staff; friendly and helpful. The owner goes to any length to make you feel comfortable. The atmosphere up in the threehouses is relaxed and open. It is primarily a hostel with youths, but I must say my 50+ uncle enjoyed his Cuba Libre all the same when feeding the Bushbabys (this is amazingly fun to do, they are so cute!).

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank MsvandenBerg

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are so please you and your family enjoyed visiting us and the bush babies. We look forward to seeing you next time your in Diani.

Regards

Reviewed 22 July 2017

Staff is very welcoming. We slept in a double dome tent, very comfortable and clean. Monkeys are also very nice. Washrooms are clean and spacious and meals are good. The beach is at walking distance, beautiful, and the swimming pool is so nice. I highly recommend this place. Very good free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Tent B is very nice and cosy.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicolasgadiot

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your holiday with us.

We look forward to seeing you again

Regards

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Best rates, helpful and great staff and best of all when you need it you got it (owner) most resourceful. Would reccomend you book them and experience it on your own, no fails and expectations are me. Best part you can enjoy a mini vacation on low budget

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gachuho W
Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

Staying in stilts for six nights in July as part of our travels around Africa.

Staff are amazing, especially Isaac the barman and Wayne the owner! All of the staff are really welcoming and friendly!

Stilts is perfect for anyone on a budget with services of a luxury site. There is daily bushbaby feeding and a sister hotel across the road, Flamboyant where Wayne lets you use the services and pool etc, which is virtually on the beach where there are lively bars and amazing views! It is the perfect location.

We stayed in the cheaper tree houses which are so close to nature, there is no electricity but wifi and charging ports are provided in the bar and safety deposit boxes for your belongings too. Also in the tree houses there are shared toilets and bathrooms but they are vey private and adequate for the price you pay.

Food is amazing with healthy portions at a good price too, if you want something more luxurious then bars and hotel can also provide this.

Will always recommend this place 100% for a friendly chilled stay for backpackers and holiday makers, Will definitely be returning!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends