“Paradise”
Review of The Leela Goa

The Leela Goa
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cavelossim
Reviewed 7 January 2012

The famous 16th century poet John Milton may have written about "paradise lost" but if he had visited the Leela Palace, Mobor beach in Goa, he may well have found it again.

If Goa is the jewel of India than the Leela palace has to be the biggest sparkliest diamond of all times.

I have to say we visited this year with a little trepidation, knowing that building work and extensive refurbishments were taking place and that General Manager Pascal had moved onto a new hotel. We needn't have worried, what building was going on was done with the minimum disruption to the guests.

We were very impressed with the way in the way the rooms had been upgraded.

In our Lagoon Suite, bathrooms have brand new showers, that not only had a shower head to give you the "rainfall" experience but also separate shower heads to give you more directional and forceful water jets. They still have the "his and hers bathrooms". One of the bathrooms has had the bath taken out to give you more space and a dressing table added, the other bathroom has had a new bath which is the deepest bath I have ever been in, although deep it’s not big enough for 2! The wall that separates the bedroom to the bathroom has had a window built into it, the window has blinds which are electrically operated. So you can sit in the bath and look out of the window into the bedroom open the blinds in the bedroom and you can see outside, let's just hope that the people on the other side of the lagoon didn't have a long lens camera :)

Once again there was an abundance of towels and robes which were replaced daily if not twice a day. Hairdryer's are provided but take note they are not that powerful, especially for me and all my hair. Fabulous complimentary toiletries are replenished when needed.

Wardrobes and drawer units have been replaced and there is now plenty of storage space.

With the modern day traveller having camera charger, phone charger, iPad and iPod charger and assorted other electrical equipment, we always travel with a 4 way extension lead to help combat the lack of plugs but this year we didn't need it. It is great to see that some thought has gone into the new design and there are now more plug sockets in the rooms and what is fantastic to see they have all been adapted to make them universal to fit any world plug so you do not have to worry about adapters.

There are new shutters and curtains in the room and this turned out to have one downside they did such a good job we overslept !! We thought it was still dark outside and the middle of the night when it was 9am.

Tiny little vanity lights glow behind the bedsides tables and under the sink in the bathroom so it is easy to coordinate yourself to the bathroom in the middle of the night, they are certainly unobtrusive and a really good idea. Modern light switches everywhere with a tiny blue light behind the switches are also a good idea.

Bedlinen; one of my scales of a good hotel was superb and replaced regularly, and there is also a pillow menu should you not like the ones already there.

New tv's, air conditioning and lounge furniture complete the make over.

Building work was also taking place in the old cafe and indian restaurant, to make this one big space called "The Restaurant" .

This opened whilst we were there and we used it a couple of times and I have to say that I personally have mixed feelings about it, both good and unsure!

At last the old school canteen crockery has been replaced with a more modern white sleek designed china.

Cutlery has also been replaced and this will make Moreton smile when I say that my cutlery was eventually replaced after every course :) a totally insignificant minor complaint of mine was that cutlery was always removed from your empty plate and placed on your table for your next course, not the service I expect from a 5 star hotel especially when the beach shacks replace your cutlery as a matter of course.

I love the way the restaurant now showcases the chefs and the work that they do, although there were active work stations every night it's only a few and the rest were buffet pre made food, I maybe would have liked to see more "doing". But you cannot fault the food, the choice was extensive and the presentation, taste and slection was superb.

If you do want "A Restaurant" experience I would suggest that you do not sit in the main area as you come through the door but choose somewhere more secluded and quiet to sit.

Breakfast - an unbelievable variety of options, there is still the egg man who can whip you up any sort of omelette, or fried egg, we eventually worked out how to get poached eggs and they were great, and hot. The new waffle and pancake station was a big bit with me. I know it's all new and you have to iron out the creases but one “toaster” for the whole restaurant is not ideal, 3 mornings we lost our toast to someone else.

Everyone gives you really good service and are only too happy to explain dishes to you, so get to know your waiter and chefs!

I want to thank a couple of people Immaculada who totally understood my need for 6 cups of tea before facing any food in the morning. Aldren who we were so pleased to see back in the restaurant this year, he has to be one of the best members of staff the Leela has, very dedicated and very organized. Mojoda for being so cheerful and helpful.

Make sure you visit the dosa chef he is a located in the Indian restaurant at breakfast I apologize I cannot remember his name but he is so enthusiastic in his work It was a pleasure to watch him explain all his dishes with so much enthusiasm and passion every day.

There really isn’t one thing that I can complain about or say that I didn’t enjoy, so it really is paradise.

We are currently thinking about this years holiday and the world is calling, there is so many places out there we want to see, but like Marmite you either love or hate Goa, if you fall in love with the place it really does get under your skin. I just can't imagine not going back.

Room Tip: All rooms are fabulous
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chrisandkaty

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I stayed at the Leela in Goa for a few days in October 2011 and it was the best 3 days ever - I don't even know where to start describing the place: the lobby is breathtakingly beautiful, the food was awesome [I need gluten-free food and I was offered fresh-baked gluten-free bread, although I settled on eating dosas and uttaphams in the morning], the pools, spa and generally well-kept grounds.
We were upgraded to the club area where I had a suite that's bigger than my apartment at home in New York, a balcony with a great view onto the club pool and club house. And the whole package came with a butler. :-) [My thanks go to Avijeet, who made sure that we had everything we needed, left in time for appointments and did not forget anything!] Instead of going sightseeing in Goa, we ended up spending our free time at the pool and enjoyed the great service. Our 'not free' time was spent at the adjacent Holiday Inn at a wedding and although the Holiday Inn seemed nice, too, it came across as much simpler than the Leela next door.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
5  Thank Esma G
Pascal_Dupuis, General Manager at The Leela Goa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

We greatly appreciate your kind comments following your stay at The Leela Goa and it was with pleasure that your feedback was shared with our entire team.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

After leaving the Grand Hyatt in dismay, we checked into the Leela - and what a welcome. Its one of the oldest luxury properties in Goa and its heritage shows. Lush greens, diverse foliage, excellent beach, shacks outside the property, its a fantastic experience.

The water sports on the beach was very professional, the beach was protected by life guards, and it was clean.

Excellent food, lavish spread (expensive) - but great choice of restaurants.

Service was lovely, people were always ready to help. Our kids were thrilled and so were we. We extended our stay - and it was worth it.

The restaurant Susegado had a wonderful manager - always keen to help us, ready with fresh coconut water after a stint in the water - the Riverside restaurant serves delicious pizza and asparagus, all in all - dont even look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Well, club rooms are beautiful. The 200 block was well located.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank prinx74

Reviewed 28 December 2011

I was with my family in Goa during september this year. The Five day stay in this luxury hotel was a dream holiday. The lush green campus, the cool ocean, the friendly staff and above all the beautiful cozy rooms were a pleasure to deal. Leela means luxury and hospitality redefined...If it fits in budget, Leela is the ultimate choice for the travellers. Go for it...!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sunil P

Reviewed 23 December 2011

It was my husband's birthday and we chose one of the best destinations of the country GOA to celebrate it. The Leela was our first choice and LO it was the best stay we ever had so far. Such was the scenic beauty, the great hospitality of the staff and the comfortable cozy rooms. There was so much for the kids and adults that on the second day of the stay, we chose to sit back and relax the property rather than sight seeing. The kids enjoyed the buggie drive so much and the staff was more than pleased to extend them a lift even if it was frolic sake. Since much of the portions were under maintenance we couldnt have a full view of the hotel boundaries but over all the stay, food and experience was so wonderful which made us to promise a next time visit here again.

Room Tip: Can choose any rooms, they r classy and cozy.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

We thank you for your kind feedback following your stay at The Leela Goa and it was with pleasure that your comments were shared with our entire team. Very happy to know that you had a wonderful stay, especially since you were celebrating a special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Leela Goa.

Morton Johnston

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cavelossim
9.9 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Goa
#4 of 10 in Cavelossim
21.1 km away
The LaLiT Golf & Spa Resort Goa

Been to The Leela Goa? Share your experiences!