Fundana Villas
Paleo Inn(Paleokastritsa)
  • Pool
Marilena Studios(Paleokastritsa)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsolive presseslocal winebungalowgeraldaccommodationhillbeachesmonastery
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 October 2016

A great place with real soul. Old Venice-style villa on the top of an olive tree covered hill, an amazing view on a vast, picturesque valley. If you're looking for calm, silent atmosphere then it's a place for you. It's also very close to beautiful beaches of Paleokastritsa and Liapades and Korfu town; a great starting place for any trips North or South.
The rooms are spacious, nicely refurbished (cleaned everyday), bathrooms are modern and comfortable. The building used to be a farm which gives the place certain charm. The owner and his staff are very helpful and friendly, no issue with organizing transport from and to an airport. They also helped me to rent a car and is always eager to provide information or answer any question. There is no standard restaurant in the hotel but you can order breakfast and (in advance) nice Greek meal at evening.
The general atmosphere in the hotel is amazing - carefree and friendly. You can really feel like you are in a book by Gerald or Lawrence Durrell. My favourite place to stay at Korfu.This year's visit was my third in Fundana and,hopefully, not the last.
Dorota, Poland

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank dfrymus
Reviewed 24 July 2016

We spent two night here on a little tour around Corfu before going over to Paxos. I booked through a well known apartment type company back in December for this and another apartment. I received confirmation codes for both.

A month before we were due to arrive I wrote to both. The first one, Gina in Kalamata beach wrote back at once a welcoming message, whereas Spiros wrote back, eventually, basically saying, who are you where and when did you think you booked, I know nothing about you! I quickly sent him the confirmation I had received in December and he, after grumbling and slagging off the other company agreed he would take our booking. It must be said, the cost of which was twice the price of our other apartment. We booked an 'A Class Bungalow'. I had already decided that talking through email was useless and that I could 'discuss' this mess with him whilst there.

It was quite a remote spot up in the hills and not too easy to find. Very peaceful if you want a get away spot. The main building resembles a very large barn which was rather surprising, we were greeted by Alex, I had asked if he was Spiros and he told me he was his son. We were quickly told they only had wifi in the reception area ( not clear in their listings) and if we wanted any drinks, (including drinking water) we must sign an honesty book. We were taken around the side of this huge barn of a building, I later realised this was because the alternative entrance was a very steep wooden staircase not easy with a case! We were shown into our 'bungalow' which was on the first floor and pretty much the size of a large hotel room (which is what it was!) It had a tiny kitchen area without even a little sachet of washing up liquid or tea towel. It had a fridge that was off and had leaked water all over the floor, there was a mezzanine with child beds, ( not what we had asked for or needed) a table which was less than clean and a bathroom that was equally dusty and showed signs of not being cleaned, e.g very old used soap in shower. The room was stifling and there was no remote for the air con, my husband had to go and ask for one. We complained to Alex at the time that this was not what we expected a bungalow to be and at least they could have swept the small balcony of old bird droppings and cleaned the room properly. We later had to go and remind him to clean up the mess left by the fridge.

Although we spotted Spiros from time to time with other clients, he was never in evidence for us to meet. This place in our opinion was over priced and their booking system faulty. If I hadn't sent him a personal checking email and just trusted the confirmation correspondence we were receiving from our chosen company we would have just turned up and maybe found they were full.

As previous reviewers have written it looks unlikely that this individual is at all concerned about what his clients have to say as nothing at all seems to have changed!

Corfu is a beautiful Island and on the whole everywhere is trying hard to deliver the best service they can in difficult times, I feel this particular venue need to realise that travellers have choices and start offering both value for money and an honest appraisal of what they are offering.

Room Tip: Check exactly what you are getting.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
7  Thank jjefferys
Reviewed 29 May 2016

I will start by saying that we were warmly welcomed in Fundana Villas and that the place is authentic and that the view is wonderful, but there is some things that made our stay less enjoyable then we were expecting.

When we first got there, it was pretty cold out and we were really tired so went directly to sleep. The heating system in the rooms there is not automatic and we were FREEZING in the room, at the point that I woke up at least 10 to 15 times during the night and had a hard time finding sleep, since it was so cold! I was feeling bad to wake up the owners, but at some point during the night, I could not stand it anymore, so I went to ask about it but no one answered so we had to wait for the next morning, where the owner gave us the remote for the heating system.

Appart from the cold, the appartment had a musty smell, and the bed was hard as rock, giving me some hips pain and making me wake up several times at night. ( I had read that once in the comments, but since in was only once, I thought it was just someone who liked to complain but seriously, that should be took care of asap!!!!)

After the first night, which was horrible and letting me wake up with a cold the morning after, I really regretted my choice and was really bummed that I could not get a refund and just go somewhere else.

As from the second night, the temperature problem was pretty much over, but the odd smell was still kind of there so was the awful bed, but still, it was better, until I got in the shower, which had no hot water at all. I went to see the owner who went to fix it, but I ended up having 1 or 2 minutes of hot water and the rest was all cold. My boyfriend took a cold shower the morning after.

We also wanted to use the internet, but it is not available in the rooms and the Internet available in the lobby was not so great and wasn't available at all when we went in to skype our family on night 2, so that was kind of disappointing too, since we didn't get so good temperature, so we would have like to catch a movie on netflix at night.

The other thing that disappointed me was that I paid for a studio room that is shown on the website as brand new with recent renovations, but we got a room that is bigger, sure, but that did not have all those recent features (The bath was old enough to have some mold around it, which is not so great).

In the end, I know that the owners are working a lot to make this place really good and there is a great potential, but as of our experience, there is still a lot of work to make. I am conscious that they cannot control everything either, but there is some stuff that were problematic that could be easily avoid in the future (Smell, temperature, bed). I was also really disappointed not to get the room I was supposed to get.

Because of all that, I do also think that I paid way to much for the stay that I have had and I was not offered anything in excuse as I have experienced in the past.

I am not saying that Fundana Villas is not a nice place to say, I read to much great reviews about it which are true, but I still wanted to write this to let the owners know about things that are to be considered. I would go back there someday if I was told that I would not have those disappointments again!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Annie-Pier C
Spathas, Ιδιοκτήτης at Fundana Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2016

Dear Guests,
We thank you for your comments concerning the services of our Hotel , so you give us the opportunity to improve the quality of our services to our valuable guests.
Concerning the heating problem , as guests confirm the second day the problem was solved , so why they did not contact us right away , then the problem would be solved on the spot, as we are available 24 hours a day. What concerns our beds , they all have matresses from well known hotel matresses factories , the same as all other hotels.
With pleasure we inform you that , we continue our very successful renovation of our hotel installations , of our apartments , combining the high quality with the traditional corfiot style of furniture in order to offer to our guests the highest level of satisfaction
during their stay in our hotel.

Reviewed 13 July 2015

Thank you to Phivos, Spiros and the Whole family fr the kind, warm and authentic greek hospitality in this unspoiled place!
Bungolows are really beautiful and very comfortable, the service is great including the rich bufft breakfast and the location is really perfect! 10 minutes to paleokastritsa, 15 minutes to Kerkira Town and really quiet, for a relaxing vacation! Hope to come back!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank paolaimpe
Spathas, Ιδιοκτήτης at Fundana Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2015

Dear Mrs Laimpe,
thank you for taking the time writing a feedback
about your vacations at our hotel.
Your kind words pay our efforts, on trying to keep our
guests happy and satisfied.
Hope to see you again

Spyros and the Fundana Team

Reviewed 12 July 2015

This is our second visit to Fundana villas. For our honeymoon we stayed here in the apartment next to the pool, which was idyllic, like having our own private pool most of the time. That was in late June, this time we stayed from the 3rd to the 12th of July, and brought along my sister in law and her daughter. They loved it as much as we did, and in fact they had the pool side villa this time, which again they appreciated walking only a few yards to the pool with fantastic views over the quiet hillside. We stayed in one of the newly renovated apartments on the other side of the main building.
As always the family are more than happy to accommodate, very friendly and positive, treating us like family. I understand that it is good business sense for the host to be friendly, but can certainly I say from my heart that Spiros and his family are genuinely friendly people.
We had a misunderstanding with the payment this time, as we had booked through an agent website, which although took our payment details, did not take any payment. This was not clear at the time of booking and we thought payment had been taken. Spiros and his family were very understanding about this, in my opinion this shows true character. Next time, as and when we visit - which Im sure we will - we will book directly with the villa.
We have had a truly wonderful experience, which is a great reflection of the traditional character of a local real life Greek villa.
Each person has their own individual likes and dislikes, wants and needs, for me booking at Fundana villas means a relaxed and wonderful experience, being treated like a cross between family and royalty, and a great base for exploring the island from. Myself and my wife hire a scooter which is great fun and lets you get around easily. My sister in law prefers a car and the safety of four wheels. You will need transport if you stay here, but for myself and my wife thats perfect as we love to explore and find different gems around the island, and return to a relaxing and peaceful base.

I cannot speak highly enough of our experience here, but I'm quite happy if you don't come as it means it will still be a peaceful haven for our next visit. However for the sake of the hard working family who cannot do enough for you, go and visit.

Best wishes,
Lloyd & Gemma Clarke

PS I am writing under my Dad's account which is already set up.

Room Tip: Its all good, you could ask for apartment 3 which is nearest the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank greeksteve

Dear Loyd and Gemma
On behalf of ol of us,
we would like to thank you for your kind and genuine words.
Your comments and critics make us better and we always try to do
what is best for our guests so that they have the holidays they dreamed.
Hope to see you soon again.

Spyros and the Fundana Team