“Eclectic but Worthwhile!”

The Walrus Oyster and Ale House
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located at National Harbor The Walrus Oyster & Ale House prides itself on serving the finest domestic seafood and freshly shucked oysters available. Moderately priced and casual in approach, guests enjoy spectacular views of the Potomac River and Old Town Alexandria from the heart of the National Harbor. The name, The Walrus Oyster & Ale House, is inspired by the Lewis Carroll poem The Walrus and The Carpenter. "O, Oysters, said the Carpenter, You've had a pleasant run! Shall we be trotting home again? But answer came there none And this was scarcely odd, because They'd eaten every one." - Lewis Carroll
Reviewed 9 February 2018 via mobile

An eclectic menu, mostly seafood oriented, BUT with other options. Great PEI Mussels dishes, great Caesar salad, and based on those, a restaurant you should try. Informal too!

Reviewed 21 January 2018

Located in the National Harbor so it caters pretty much to residents of the convention hotels in the area (unlikely anyone would drive from DC just to go here). A varied selection of raw oysters served "Northern style" (with Mignonette and Cocktail Sauce) rather than "Southern Style" ( Remoulade and Saltines) but they will get you the latter if you ask. The atmosphere is comfortable. There were many groups there from various conventions, making the place excessively loud. The butternut squash soup is terrific, with lumps of crabmeat and a taste reminiscent of "she-crab soup." Service is quick and the food is good, seafood and fish are not overcooked, but not particularly well seasoned. Obviously caters to groups and not to expectations of fine food. Worth the trip if you are in the area already.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

Our hotel driver suggested The Walrus for dinner. We made reservations and had a wonderful dining experience.
My husband got an oyster pot appetizer snd shrimp and grits. He was pleased with both.
I recommend the beet salad. It was delicious. Our waiter was very attentive and his suggestions were well taken.

Reviewed 31 December 2017

Oysters were fresh and delicious. The scallops were delicious and our server was very attentive. Will definitely be back! Thanks for delightful dinner.

Reviewed 18 December 2017

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I read the reviews and they were all over the place. So we decided to give the Walrus a try. We went there for our anniversary with a group of 5. We arrived early so we sat at the bar to wait. The bar tenders were very prompt to get us our drinks. Since we were early we decided to try one of their starters so we had the crab dip. I have to say it arrived so quick I thought we got someone else's order. It arrived hot. My wife and I both found the dip fantastic. There were chunks of crab meat all throughout. The top was perfectly crusted. If I were to have a negative we would loved to have another piece of toast or two.

When the rest of our party arrived we were seated within 10 minutes of our reservations. Our server was right there to introduce herself and start us off with drinks. The family I was with are oyster eaters. For me this was one of a few trips to an oyster bar. They had a very good selection of different type of oysters so we let our friends order. He got his favorite Bluepoints and one from the briny section. The plater arrive very quick and was introduced by the server (Manager). In the very few times I have had oysters I must say these were the best. They were very fresh and had a great flavor.

By the time we were ready to order dinner neither my wife nor I were that hungry so we decided to split an order Land and Sea (Crab cakes and ribeye). Our steak was perfectly cooked, thick, juicy and very nicely seasoned. The crab cake was delicious. Everything arrived quickly for a busy Saturday night.

Our server (Isis) was fantastic. She knew her menu, made recommendations, checked on us regularly. I can't say enough about her. I guess it comes down to if you enjoy what you do then those around you enjoy it to. We made sure to call the manager over to pass along our compliments. We will go back here again.