“Great improvements make a good hotel great - Ignore the bad reviews”
Review of Bell Hotel

Bell Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Charlbury
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We stayed at the hotel for three nights from the 5th August, to attend a family function. We booked one of the newly refurbished 'executive rooms'.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff, who gave us the keys for the room. We were staying in room 3. This is a massive room, at the front of the pub. It overlooks Church Street. It has been very tastefully refurbished, with a large bed, fireplace, separate seating area by the window a 42'' plasma tv, and a massive bathroom, with a huge bath, separate shower cubicle, sink and toilet. It was as nice as many 5 star hotels that I have stayed in.

Breakfast was a great selection, while I agree with previous reviewers that there was no menu, I personally don't think one is necessary, as pretty much they'll make whatever you want. I had the Full English, which consisted of whatever type of eggs I wanted, sausage, bacon, mushrooms and tomato. One morning I had the smoked salmon with scrambled eggs with was equally excellent. There was a wide range of cereals and yoghurts, as much toast and preserves as we could eat, what tasted like fresh orange juice and the usual hot drinks. There's also the option on hot days, such as this morning, to eat on the terrace outside. My partner, who is vegetarian, was also well catered for, with nothing appearing too much trouble. The service was impeccable on all three days

We dined on one evening, and sampled the Chicken Supreme, with Jersey Royals seasoned with mint from the hotels garden, and gardens peas with chorizo, as well as the vegetarian risotto, which had peas, radishes, and parmesan in it. They were delicious. Other options that seemed pretty popular were the fish pie, the locally butchered steaks, and fish and chips. A suggestion might be to have a couple of daily specials to vary the menu, especially a vegetarian one, as it might be a struggle to find an alternative to the risotto - that being said am confident with the service offered that this wouldn't be an issue. The bar also had an interesting and varied wine list, as well as a number of home made desserts, and cheese plate.

I've read the bad reviews with interest on here, and personally didn't recognize the place from the description some of the negative reviewers have given it.

Put into context, we've been coming to this hotel, once or twice a year for the past 5 years, and have never experienced any of the problems detailed on here, even during the period of the mixed reviews. I always found the previous manager helpful, approachable and friendly, and never experienced any bad service at all. The pub is under new management, I believe since the Spring. Lidia appears to be the General Manager, is very approachable, and ensures great service, little touches like 'Enjoy your Breakfast' make a difference. Her husband, I believe, is the chef, and had maintained, if not improved, what was already an excellent food offering.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Bell this year, and have made it a resolution to return more often - assuming we can get in of course, as if our trip is anything to go by, if they maintain the standards, its going to become even more popular.

Room Tip: Room 3 is one of the new refurbished rooms
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank dma1966

Reviewed 1 August 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Bell for 2 nights and had a lovely time. The room was in an annexe building which I wasn’t aware of when I booked, I was told on check in I was a little anxious but when we walked into the room we were pleasantly surprised. The room had recently been refurbished in lovely purples and greys, had modern fixtures and fittings and was light and airy. The room was very quiet, the beds were comfy and the shower worked well.
We ate both nights at the hotel and the food was wonderful. It was the same menu on both evenings, but we didn’t have a problem finding something to choose. All the staff were incredibly polite and friendly and couldn’t do enough for you.
There are only two recommendations I would make to the hotel and they are that although the full English breakfast was lovely, it would have been nice to have a menu on the table giving the choice of what you can have rather than having to ask the waitress. The second day I didn’t fancy a full English so asked if it would be possible for scrambled eggs on toast. Some fresh fruit salad would have been nice together with some cheese and ham for those not wanting to have the full English.
The other recommendation would be to have a guest information pack in the room, giving maybe a history of the building (if known) together with local attractions and places to eat and drink in the area.
I would not hesitate staying here again or recommending this hotel to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2011

stayed this weekend to attend a friends 40th birthday party.we chose the bell because it was in the same village as the party was being held.what a pleasant surprise when we arrived.we were shown immediately,by a very lovely member of staff,to our room which was situated in the converted stables at the rear of the hotel.beautifully decorated,spotlessly clean,everything we needed to make our stay perfect.plenty of tea , coffee and milk in the room.we spent the afternoon in the sunny beer garden and enjoyed a 1st class lunch,from a quite considerable menu,with a lovely mix of locals,guests and children all enjoying the sunshine.i cannot comment on the evening menu as we did not dine in but breakfast this morning was lovely.choice of cereals that we could help ourselves to,fruit juice, tea and coffee delivered to our table,and hot toast placed just in time for our scrumptious full breakfast ,and what a breakfast !! it is still making my mouth water just thinking of it.perfect.the garden at the rear of the hotel goes on for ever,with tables dotted about every so often,a stream at the very end made this a perfect place for lunch with families.the only downside was the church bells,which chimed every 15 minutes,but i suppose that is what village life is all about.staff very friendly and nothing too much trouble for them.would definately stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank granmag
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We met up with friends for a couple of days in the Cotswolds. We stayed at The Bell, with a little trepidation after reading some very mixed reviews. However it was well worth a visit: the food was excellent, the staff really helpful and welcoming and the rooms clean and comfortable. It seems the poor reviews related to a bad patch with previous management.
If you fancy a base for this region don't hesitate to try The Bell.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank kinfofdomus
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I was lucky enought o be booked into the Bell for a business trip. Having seen the previous reviews I felt compelled to add my comments as I can only imagine previous guests stayed at a different Bell! Although, to be fair, I understand it has recently undergone massive renovations completed by the new management.

The Bell was in a beautiful location, the staff were very friendly and courteous and the food served was delicious!

My room was immaculate and very tastefully decorated.

I had an excellent nights sleep followed by a piping hot, fresh breakfast the following morning.

I have rebooked to visit the Bell with my family and would personally and professionally recommend it highly.

Thank you to all at the Bell and well done on a fantastic renovation!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank LizzyB2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlbury
13.2 km away
12.8 km away
The Bull at Burford
The Bull at Burford
#4 of 8 in Burford

Been to Bell Hotel? Share your experiences!