I felt that I should write a review as I really looked at Tripadvisor alot when I was booking our holiday. We went for 3 nights to Anatara Veli and stayed in the standard overwater bungalows.
Rooms - the rooms were great. I couldn't personally have asked for more - nice comfy bed, view from the bed, nice daybed on balcony, view of the water from the shower so you can see the fish. Yes, they are kind of close together but perhaps because we went in low season, this was really no problem at all. We had an amazing view looking across at Dhigu, the other island, and we also had the sunset.
The standard rooms have the coral under them whilst the deluxe don't - ours didn't have as much as the other standards but we also had the most private outlook of all of them and also the sunset - we still had fish under us including some reef sharks, a sting ray and an octopus!
There are 2 piers with the rooms - the ones with the deluxe on them has a lot more rooms down them so probably would feel busier. Ours was the smaller pier and was very relaxed.
Tip for the accom - i actually contacted the resort a week before and they sent me a map of the layout of the rooms with room numbers - i then sent through a request for the specific rooms i preferred. worth doing this if you want to maximise privacy etc.
Spa - we chose to go with the overwater spa at Dhigu - why wouldn't you?? The one at Veli looked nice but you really can't beat having a glass window in the floor to watch the fish and water whilst you are massaged. Then at the end, there was an outdoor jacuzzi to have your drink after............well worth the visit
Thai rest - beautiful food and ambiance. We had outdoor table - ocean was lit up under us and we could just see 100's of fish swimming plus a reef shark. also centre of rest has water rushing through with fish swimming as well. A must if you go
Other than that, we had the pizza from the italian place cause it was a good deal for the money.
Wine - was not too expensive. have a huge wine list to choose from with some around $60 to $75 a bottle. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be.
Mini bar - good selection of beers, soft drinks etc........but really, bring your own snacks!
Plenty of water given except on last day.
The service was great - we were even given 6pm checkout on our last day for no charge - though this was because low season
Diving - went for a dive. Was fab. Saw quite a few turtles, schools and some sharks. Was a mere 10min on great dive boat from the hotel. So whole trip doesn't even take you half the day. Service on the boat was great - they just did everything for you. We had a bit of a current because of the season but it really didn't matter.
Snorkelling - plenty of good fish to see from around bungalows. No prob snorkelling from room
We hired canoe one day from Dhigu - the boat takes you across in 2min. We canoed to another island and snorkelled the house reef there - really good fish and i am sure in high season would be incredible.
Highly recommend - for me, this is all i wanted. I guess if you want absolute privacy in your room etc, and perhaps better reef, then best to go with one of the 5 star hotels. But if you just want a place which is chilled, relaxed, then Anantara Veli was really great.
We relaxed immediately and given that we only had 3 nights, this was essential..............fab holiday!
hope this helps to make your decision.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Retreat hand-in-hand to one of the most naturally stunning destinations on earth, a romantic paradise enveloped in soft white sands and turquoise waters. Just 20 km by speedboat from the airport in Male, delight in the private luxury of your own over-water bungalow, with all the comforts of home and then some. Unwind in your room, either over water in the crystal lagoon, or from your Ocean Pool Bungalow, with private pool and ocean views offering beach and lagoon access a few minutes stroll from your room, or admire the kaleidoscope of exotic fish and corals just steps from your over water and deluxe over water bungalow. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Anantara Veli Maldives Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Anantara Veli Hotel South Male Atoll
- Anantara Veli Resort And Spa