“A Touch of Asia”

Kurumba Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 79 Restaurants in Port Moody
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Three of us went here for lunch. Food was authentic and well prepared. Quality was lacking somewhat for one dish, ginger beef. However the beef rendang was excellent as was their corn soup and a noodle dish we enjoyed. Definitely a place to go for something out of the ordinary and spicy but tasty. We were quite happy with the service and the quality of food overall. Definitely we will go back again.

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

Went to Kurumba with friends on July 28th for dinner. We ordered calamari and roti canai for appetizers. They were delicious. The calamari was good but nothing really special. The roti canai was light and flaky and the curry dip was flavourful and spicy. Yum! We ordered the sambal shrimp, shrimp was perfectly cooked. The nasi lemak with beef rendang really hit the spot, the rendang was nice and tender. My favourite dish was the Nasi Goreng. It was bursting with flavour and they certainly didn't skimp on the ingredients. I'm still craving it.
The service was attentive as well. Will definitely go there again.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

We ordered 3 take out dishes Char Kwai Teow, beef rending and Nash Lemak. To sum it up the food was not fresh and I suspect that it was pre-prepared and parts were reheated. The coconut rice in the Nash lemak was lumpy and hard, indicative that it was left overnight or refrigerated. I had to mash the rice with a spoon and even then it was a challenge eating it. The big piece of chicken tasted like left over chicken. I eat a fair amount of left overs and I know what left over food tastes like.
The beef rending was the only dish that tasted freshly cooked. I'll leave it as that. The Char Kwai Teow was moderate at best. The portion was large but again it did not taste fresh. We were disappointed because we were told that the food was good. The price was almost $40 for three dishes of which only one was fresh. This restaurant missed the mark by a long short. And the previous comments about slow service is not wrong. The staff are very friendly however the comments around our family was disappointed with the poor quality of the food. This was a Friday dinner which is considered to be one of the busiest times of the week. The thing with southeast Asian cooking, especially Thai, Malaysian and Nonya style cooking is that everything has to be prepared with fresh ingredients especially dishes which use coconut milk and stir fried with sauces. It is labour intensive and time consuming. You can't cut corners in the preparation or use stale ingredients as it will ruin the dish. Perhaps I was pampered with my moms and my aunt's cooking however most of us know stale food with the first bite.

Reviewed 25 March 2017

We were bowled over by Chef Richard's renditions of traditional Singaporean street food. Highly recommended are his Char Kway Teow, Nasi Lemak and Roti Canai. CKT is a rice noodle dish in a sweet black sauce fried to perfection with "wok hei" (literally pan flavour) and stuffed so generously with ingredients that the noodles were hard to find! Nasi Lemak is a fragrant coconut rice dish with traditional sides of peanuts, anchovies, fried egg and cucumber, accompanied by sambal chilli and achar (pickles). Roti Canai (aka Roti Prata) is a fried flatbread eaten with curry. Each dish is meticulously made from scratch and presented in just the way that every Singaporean would instantly recognise as the real deal (see pictures)! What's more amazing is that Richard hails not from Singapore but Sri Lanka, and he researches all his dishes and takes feedback seriously to ensure that his cooking is as close to the original recipes as possible. The dishes that I've reviewed are certainly the best I've tasted outside of Singapore, and I've been around a little. He has quite an extensive menu of other Asian dishes as well (including his native Sri Lanka, Thai and Chinese) which we look forward to trying at our next visit.

Reviewed 8 January 2017

A restaurant which can offer a variety of South East Asian cuisines, be it Indian, Sri Lankan, Malaysian, Indonesian, Vietnamese, Chinese. The advantage is the element of fusion of these cuisines which you can experience in the dishes, the decor, the staff and the clientele.