“Astonishing. Enchanting. Mesmerizing. Surrender yourself to Alila Villas Uluwatu!”

Alila Villas Uluwatu
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Uluwatu
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Weeks after returning home, I am still lingering on to (and sometimes dreaming of) the wonderful moments from my stay at the legendary Alila Villas Uluwatu, and the passionate individuals who made such a big difference - Sean (General Manager), Nickie (Resident Manager), Novita (Front Office Manager), Sumardika (Revenue Manager), Zul, Yuni, Aidil, Ngurah (from the front office), ensuring my experience is a special and memorable one.

I have only the BEST things to say about my stay at this surprisingly-different resort. From the moment I was picked up at the airport, I knew it was going to be an incredible journey. As soon as I stepped into the car, my driver Ngurah introduced himself and presented me with an iced-cold towel and a bottle of iced-cold water, adjusted the A/C temperature (he made it cooler), informed me of the distance and time needed to arrive at the resort, directed my attention to the in-car iPod and magazines, and asked if I needed to charge my iPhone's battery (he noticed I was using iPhone). On our way to the resort, Ngurah asked about the duration of my trip, if I had planned any destinations to visit (which I did not), and suggested quite a few landmarks to see (and told me the history behind these places). He also informed me the resort offers car hire services, if needed, I could make arrangements in advance (and for the next few days, that was exactly what I did; Ngurah is a gem – I was so lucky to have him as my driver, and taking care of me wherever I went).

Arriving at the resort, its distinctive and contemporary white-washed architectural design instantly captivated me! As our car pulled-up at the reception area, I was greeted by Sean himself, and a few other super friendly and attentive staffs, all with genuine smiles (that was the moment when my luggage was quietly loaded onto a buggy, and my passport and credit card being collected for check-in purposes). Sean was incredibly welcoming (he made every encounter at the resort a bliss with his courteous demeanor), and after sitting me down at the sofa area, helped me unwind with a spray of the resort's home made "refreshing face mist" (the scent is heavenly!), and directed my attention to the breath-taking ocean view in front of me - open space, blue skies, turquoise sea (as well as the spectacular landscape, extraordinary pavilions – especially the sunset cabana which hangs-over the cliff, and the carefully-manicured terrace)… OH MY GOD, IT'S SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL – and it is mine for the next few days!!!

Following my jaw-drop, Yuni gave me a tour of the resort and its facilities (spa, air-conditioned library, gym and restaurants) and as soon as we returned to the sofa area, my passport and credit card were handed back to me (smooth processing). Before heading off for my villa, Sean recommended me their mind-melting avocado and coconut smoothie hair treatment (must try – and pair it with a massage; you'll come out of the spa feeling luxuriously pampered, and don't forget to choose the signature iced ginger tea as your post-treatment drink), and my first night's dinner at "The Warung" (great recommendation – helps set the Balinese mood quickly; authentic and exquisite dishes – very tasty).

Walking down the corridor, I came across the gift shop "The Gallery", and after a quick glance of the items on display through the glass windows, I knew I would be back to fetch a couple of items (and I did, especially the clothings by "Lily Jean"). I first bought a dress and a t-shirt, and after wearing the super-comfortable t-shirt for a day, I returned to buy 3 more - thanks so much to Novita for ensuring I got all 3 pcs. before my departure). Good thing about the items sold here is the pricing is consistent; some resorts apply a premium to items being sold on premise vs. items being sold outside the resort, but not here.

Hoping onto the buggy, I was escorted to my villa where my butler was already waiting to greet me (and A/C already on, with music playing from the iPod). No kidding - the villa is as PERFECT as the photos you see on the Internet. It is extremely spacious with a lovely pool, and there are several areas to sit-back and relax (the cabana, of course), and the bathroom comes with an indoor rain shower and jet shower, and an outdoor shower, and an indoor bathtub with complimentary amenities including "refreshing face mist", "insect repellent", "sunscreen spf 30", "sun tanning oil", "after-sun cooling gel", "bubble bath", "purifying mask", "deep sleep pillow mist", and "shampoo", "conditioner", "bath gel", "lotion", "lip balm" (which actually come in "his" and "her" versions) and two versions of the bathrobes. Not only do I love all the premium amenities, I also appreciate the straw beach hats, bag, fans, sarongs and yoga mat that are provided for use, and the 300-thread-count Ploh bed linens, duvet and nice pillows to ensure a good night's rest – thanks to Nickie for all these thoughtful touches.

The villa is serene at night and picturesque by day. Waking up to the warm sunlight and sounds of nature is the best – gentle breeze with scent of Frangipani, falling leafs, chirping birds… And what better way to start the day than daily complimentary yoga class, followed by a mouth-watering tapas breakfast at Cire (the home made ice creams and chocolate treats are delicious!), where guests are encouraged to order multiple dishes to savor the delicacies. After breakfast, is a great time to explore the resort (the beach and hilltop), take photos to share with family and friends (there is free wi-fi), dive into the cliff-edge pool or have Novita and Zul from the front office suggest an itinerary (the Uluwatu temple at sunset is really stunning) or other bespoke activities.

And before wrapping up my vacation, I stopped by Spa Alila to pick up some wellness products to continue the rejuvenating spa experience at home. They are amazing and make truly good souvenirs for family, friends and colleagues alike. Now everyone dear to me can share a little bit of my relaxing time at Alila Villas Uluwatu.

For those of you who are still deciding, I HIGHLY recommend Alila Villas Uluwatu!!! I say with confidence - you won't regret it. As for myself? I have another trip already planned to return to my Balinese home, where I am certain I will be welcomed with open arms again.

P.S. To the Alila Villas Uluwatu team – thank you again and again for the hospitality and kindness you have shown me. You have been unbelievable at anticipating my every need - without my saying; the service is outstanding and IMPECCABLE, and I can't wait to return. See you all soon!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank tracy_wong721

Reviewed 30 October 2012

This hotel is breath taking from its architectural ingenuity, to its stunning views and tremendous service.

This place is an oasis, hidden from the chaotic hustling of Kuta and the constant barrage of tourists. Uluwatu is about 30 minutes from Kuta and about 1 hour from Seminyak (depending on traffic).

During our stay the staff and Shaun (General Manager) made us feel so very welcome, and went out of their way to make our 5 day visit memorable for all the right reasons.

The hotel is perched high above the Indian Ocean, offering fantastic yoga classes, great food choices (from traditional to international) and even better cocktails. The villas boast a private pool, cabanas, day beds, indoor and outdoor showers. If you are feeling fit definitely go for a wander to the rockpools / beach below the resort.

There are many beautiful surfing spots in Uluwatu just waiting to be discovered ... and Alila is the perfect base to explore the area and wider Bali.

Alila Uluwatu is a place you will never want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I do not have the vocabulary to rightfully describe how wonderful and perfect Alila Uluwatu is. It is a must if traveling in the area and a must see (stay) at least once in your lifetime. A hotel of this calibre is upward of US $2000 a night anywhere else in the world. If you feel like you need some R&R please fly from where ever you are to visit this 7 star oasis.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Adam M
Reviewed 26 October 2012

We enjoyed five blissful nights in this beautiful hotel in a stunning location. The area is perfect for my surfer husband and I couldn't have been happier enjoying the hotel facilities while he was touring the local beaches. There was plenty to enjoy from the wonderful complimentary morning yoga classes, the relaxing spa facilities, the truly indulgent breakfasts and relaxing by the main pool or in your own pool suite. We both loved the quieter location of Uluwatu and the cliff views yet we travelled into Seminyak and Nusa Dua to enjoy some of their world class restaurants too. Next time we'll be happy to stay in more and avoid the traffic jams as the food in house is delicious and the service second to none in Bali. I have to endorse that the Management team are exceptional, Sean the GM definitely shows his presence in a warm and friendly style and this reflects the service standards of the entire staff who aim to please but in a warm and genuine manner. Our butler Eddie was terrific, waking my husband early each morning and ensuring he got his morning coffee before Warung was even open. We know this will not be our last stay at Alila Uluwatu!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SYDmelp
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Amazing backdrop and cliff views, Alila Uluwatu has all that a five star resort would offer.

However, there were obvious signs of age in the villa and although commanding a high end price point in a country and compiund where land is plentiful, Alila could have provided bigger garden area for their villas, as well as maintained the plants better, as they were all dried and yellow all around

Breakfast was great and bathroom amenities were wonderful, but restaurant failed to bring out the true Indonesian cuisine.

Overall beautiful common areas but not worth the USD800 per night.

Room Tip: All rooms were similar, just difference of 1 or 3 bedrooms and all rooms overlook the ocean at a dis...