“Stunning views, horrible service”

St Andrews Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bedfordview
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

Rated as a five star hotel, St Andrews Hotel location is perfect for traveling to and from airport. The grass is manicured and infrastructure well looked after. There are comfortable living spaces accommodating small groups. The downfall and absolute disappointment was the service. Though the staff were warm, they often forgot we had put in an order. The bar area had no snacks( peanuts, olives etc). We then requested another type of snack and we were promised samoosas and other nibbles. Needless to say the waiters forgot to inform us that these were also not available. We later received fries with Mayonnaise as a dip! We requested tomato sauce. They didn't have that either. Disappointed, we informed the waiter who became defensive. They did not charge us for the fries but i would not recommend the hotel to any of my friends and family. I expect a 5 star service at a 5 star hotel, period.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nkosazana

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

Conveniently situated near the airport and not too far from the Sandton hub. Relaxing and tranquil venue with super spacious rooms! Great WiFi and double shower. Breakfast was a delight but dinner was underwhelming. Seems to be a popular wedding venue.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Wilna-Namibia
Reviewed 2 September 2017

Having read the reviews I was not 100% sure of what to expect of this hotel but was really pleasantly surprised. Travelling from Saxonwold my GPS had taken me on a tour of suburbia and when I arrived at Milner Avenue I had to do a double check that I was in the right Milner Avenue. Turning the corner I saw the entrance to the hotel with its flag posts that ensured me that this was indeed the St Andrews Hotel.
On entering the hotel reception I was greeted and then checked in. I was assisted to my room with my luggage. My room was definitely a cut above average business hotel standards. It was large with a seating area and views across Gilloolys Lake.It was furnished in a very contemporary, stylish manner. Fixtures and fittings were of a high quality and the room had a very tranquil relaxing feel to it. A fruit platter and welcome letter were waiting for me on my arrival which was a much appreciated touch.The bed was extremely comfortable and the bedding high quality - (but unnecessarily over monogrammed). The bath room was very large and well designed - (with more over monogrammed towels and gowns). Body wash, body lotion and conditioner were supplied but no shampoo - an over sight by housekeeping? as well as there being no tissues - an expected norm for a hotel of this calibre. I had a very comfortable night's sleep and will definitely stay at this hotel again.
On the dining front there is still work to be done as the recent upgrade seems not to have reached the restaurant. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating but there is definitely a mismatch between the standard of the hotel and the restaurant.
The staff have ill-fitting uniforms that look as though they are straight out of a late 80s early 90s Southern Sun Hotel. There are spelling mistakes on the over photo copied menus. There is a small range of dishes available - all sounded delicious. I ordered the lamb dish served with risotto which was ok but nothing to write home about. I asked for black pepper only to find they only had one grinder that had to come from the kitchen and which was broken. I also asked for French mustard but they only had English . There was no wine list available - it was being updated- but I ordered a glass or house red wine (Slanghoek red) which I was charged R60 a glass for - as a bottle only costs R49 retail I felt that this was rather excessive!
For breakfast there was a choice of a range of dishes made to order. I had the smoked salmon eggs Benedict which was very well made and delicious. There was also a cold buffet- the standard of which I felt was quite poor and not in keeping with the rating of the hotel.
I would eat at the restaurant again but the establishment really needs to now focus on bringing its standard up to that of the hotel. This will require staff training and attention to the smaller details.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank KarenVeysey
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

I spent two nights here with my husband, who comes to St Andrews regularly as he has work in JHB. This was my first time, and I really enjoyed it. I realise that the hotel has been taken over by new management recently, so hopefully whay I noticed as needing attention will be improved upon soon.

What I loved:
• the service of the staff. Traveling with an infant isn't easy, and I was greatly assisted with my pram/luggage by the staff. They were attentive and friendly. We were also given a room with 2 beds to accommodate our infant, which helped us so much.
• the room. Beautiful, clean and very comfortable. The beds were cozy.
• parking is easy and free of charge
• the art!
• free wifi

What I think needs work, especially for a 5-star establishment:
• towels in the bathroom are worn and look shoddy
• bath leaked
• telephone in the room didn't work
• furniture in the room looks a bit tired (leather-look peeling off)
• wifi could be less patchy

Most of my concerns are about the restaurant:
• it's expensive, so you expect it to be perfect.
• restaurant manager crouches down at the table to take one's order. Has a Spur feeling to it, not a 5-star feeling.
• the table settings aren't uniform (eg the place settings didn't have the same cutlery or missing cutlery)
• chipped milk jug and leaking orange juice pourer at breakfast on self-service table.
• maybe think about cloth napkins?

I want to reiterate that we enjoyed our stay - these comments are directed at the new owners with the view of assisting them in their endeavor to create a truly 5-star establishment.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank alidachevalier
Reviewed 18 July 2017

It could not have been better the rooms beautiful and the service from the team faultless! I had cappucinos brought to me the food was delicious and the rooms were stunning I was upgraded to the diamond suite which was fabulous! Thank you to every one!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
NickyWebster13, General Manager at St Andrews Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2017

Good Afternoon,

Thank you so much for your feedback. It was and absolute pleasure meeting you. I am so glad you were able to get your luggage back. It was a pleasure hosting you at St Andrews Hotel and Spa and we look forward to seeing you in the future. I will ensure your Cappuccinos are ready!!

Charlene

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bedfordview
1.9 km away
3.5 km away
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
Genesis All-Suite Hotel
#10 of 67 in Johannesburg

Been to St Andrews Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!