“Great Ramen”

Hakata Gensuke Hawthorn
Ranked #28 of 268 Restaurants in Hawthorn
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

I did some research before visiting and was glad I did. The informal setup and attentive staff make the atmosphere relaxed. The real winner, though, is the ramen. It was excellent and totally worth a return visit the next day!

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Hakata Gensuke has been my favourite ramen restaurant for the last year or so. The aka ramen is a really satisfyingly spicy meal without being overpoweringly hot.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Hands down the best ramen I've had in Melbourne. The fried chicken is off the charts as well. I always go for the original tonkotsu ramen. Only problem is I won't get ramen anywhere else now, Hakata you've ruined me!

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

Amazingly authentic Tonkatsu Ramen, gyoza and chicken karaage! Rivals big Ramen names like Ippudo and the best in Japan! Noodles done to perfection in a soup stock boiled for hours! Comfort food at its best!

Reviewed 10 March 2017

It is pretty tough that we visited this place so soon after our return from Japan.

Service here is good. The decor is clean, a bit spartan but fine.

The food is very good. The different soups (we shared) were good. The noodles come soft, medium, hard - as you order it. They manage to get every one right. If you like different soups with slightly different bases (beef, chicken, etc), they have plenty to choose from. We found the gyoza a little on the dry side.