“What a disappointment”

Whitehall Garden Centre
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whitchurch
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Went with the whole family including three young grandchildren to the Easter Grotto today (Good Friday). So disappointing. Cost £3.99 per person and that was for 2 year olds too!
Very poor amateur setup that only took about 15 minutes to see it all. After asking 3 different members of staff that were clueless we were told that there were no Easter chicks as advertised.
If you wanted children to paint a small egg there was an additional charge of £4 each.
This place is a ripoff charging extortionate prices. We will not be returning to this garden centre again.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

My friend and I visited here yesterday for breakfast. Disappointed as no mushrooms or scrambled eggs left, serving staff was a bit grumpy and my partners sausage had seen better days. Young male on the till was cheery and the coffee was good. Won’t be rushing back. Sorry.

1  Thank ChristineandThomas
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our outing we often visit lacock but thought we would try Whitchurch for a change it’s definitely the smaller of the two but still a lovely place with plenty of things to do for a couple hours, very well stocked gift shop where we spent a fair bit on Easter gifts and Mother’s Day! Cafe was very busy but staff very pleasant and helpful we were bit disappointed we couldn’t get hot food when we arrived as they stop hot food after a certain time but was plenty of delicious cake which made up for the inconvenience!. Overall a nice little place to visit .

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Good selection of plants and ideas with plenty for the whole family.
There is a large playing area for the children which in the summer has lots going on.
Still good to while away a few hours in the winter though, plenty of spring plants and ideas for when the weather gets warmer.
Can be expensive for some of the items especially the summer furniture but its all good quality by the look of it.
There are 2 restaurants, Lavender Lodge Bistro is the quieter one , and I noticed they do Jazz evenings in the evenings in here with food which is good if you like that sort of thing.
The new Herb Garden is larger with more seating and hot meal choices- it was very good the day we had lunch here, but I know it can be hit and miss with food going cold and long queues.
Its a good day out for the family, however I have to say the worst thing is the overflow car park - full of pot holes and in a really bad state, especially if it has been raining, you end up literally covered in mud.
Please do something about it Whitehall... I'm sure it wouldn't take much to fill in the pot holes some of which are deep.
Other than that, a few hours in the fresh air and a cup of tea and cake in the cafe, very nice way to spend a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

I took my children to the garden centre before Xmas to see the reindeer and enjoy a look at all of the lovely Xmas decorations which they really enjoyed.

We arrived early and decided to have breakfast before we started. I ordered a full English breakfast which included a cup of tea for £6.99. I also ordered a kids egg on toast and a kids beans and cheese on toast. These were both priced at £4.99 each which I thought was a bit expensive but assumed it would include a drink and a pudding of some description.

When the food came out it was nice and we all enjoyed it. The kids egg on toast was one fried egg and one piece of toast with no butted. The kids beans on toast was one slice of toast, one spoon of beans (very few) plus a small pot of cheese.

When I checked the bill after I realised that the drinks weren't included with the £4.99 kids meals and then found there was no additional item of "pudding" either.

I therefore paid almost £5 for one fried egg and one slice of toast plus £1.50 for a drink making one kids meal £6.50 and the other child had a small hot chocolate so her meal was £7. Given that a full English breakfast costs £6.99 and this includes tea or coffee the fact that a kids beans on toast and hot drink cost £7 made no sense.

Also they sell two slices of toast for £1.99 with jam etc, so one piece of toast costs £1. This means that they charged me £4 for one fried egg.

I felt completely ripped off and contacted the restaurant manager who sent an email back thanking me for taking the time to write and saying he would "take my comments on board when reviewing the menu". This very dismissive response has made me feel even more ripped off because he clearly doesn't care about his customers feedback at all.

This garden centre is lovely and the staff were nice (although very very busy which is why I didn't complain on the day" but there is no way I would give them any more of my money. I will also be contacting Trading Standards as their menu is so vastly out of proportion in terms of costs it's a joke.

1  Thank Marie M