7,518 results
All reviewsla toccrepesclub levellondon pubour honeymoonenglish pubmain poolspeedboat tourconcierge roomjerk shackred lane spabutler servicest luciafort rodneyno pressurepigeon islandlagoon pool
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We spent two weeks here in 2009 and loved it. We should have been back last year but had to postpone due to work commitments. Finally we made it back this October and it was even better this time. We knew exactly what to expect and because we had been before we were able to slip straight in and relax from the first day. We decided to take the helicopter transfer as a special treat and it was really good. I don’t mind the drive from the airport but had always wanted to ride in a helicopter and this was a perfect opportunity. It was weird as you didn’t really get a sensation of speed. The helicopter just seemed to hang in the air – very odd sensation.
Our favorite restaurant for breakfast is Toscanini’s as it white glove a la carte. A very nice start to the day. The restaurant is air conditioned and the mimosas are perfect. I love the eggs benedict. For lunch we usually go to Barefoot by the Sea - try the ribs!!! In the evening all of the restaurants are good. The steak is very good wherever you go. The best meal we had was at the La Toc French restaurant. Worth the trip over there and I would say that was the only truly 5 star meal we have had. The food everywhere is great but more like high end pub food. We did several tours. We booked the speedboat tour off the beach on the boat called Exodus. This was a fantastic tour. I would recommend this over booking Simon Says with Sandals as the boat is smaller so only takes 12 guests as opposed to 24 with Simon Says. Consequently you get more time at the springs and waterfall. Also the boat goes faster as it is a bit smaller. We also did the zip lining both times we were there. It is that good. My favorite tour was the Segway tour. It is two hours long and is right in Rodney Bay only ten minutes drive away. You ride the Segways on a trail through the local hills. Very beautiful and the guide is very informative about the Island flora and fauna. You also get to see a pond cut out of the hill full of Koi carp which you can feed. The Segways are really easy to ride and you go very fast on them – I love them – great fun. The beach is wonderful at the resort. The sea is very gentle and warm. We took our own floats and I was glad we did as people tended to take the pool floats and keep them rolled up by their chairs all day. It was not easy to get pool floats after about 10am. My favorite cocktail was a No Pressure No Problem. Its not on the list but you can just ask for it or any other cocktail and they will make it up for you. The spa has offers on every day so I would not bother booking anything before you go. We booked to go back before we left but will go to the Sandals on Antigua next time. I just hope it is as nice as Sandals Grande. Having stayed at Halcyon 10 years ago and having visited all three resorts I would say Grande is definitely my favorite. Mainly because the beach at the other two resorts is not very good. If you like the beach and going in the sea you will prefer the Grande. Halcyon is small and quiet and very personal. La Toc is very large and parts are quite steep up on a hill. I think the food is probably better there. Certainly there is more choice. The Grande is flat and very well located on the beautiful Rodney Bay. You can stay at one resort and visit the other two so there is a lot of flexibility and I do think it is worth taking the time to go to the other resorts as they really are all quite different. I was surprised by how many people don’t realize that men need to wear long trousers and proper shoes to get into the better restaurants – don’t forget to take them. One last thing - alcohol. The house wine is very good – not the best but perfectly drinkable. My husband says the piton beer is also very good. I don’t think the cocktails are loaded to heavily with alcohol but as you are in the sun all day that is a good thing. You don’t really see anyone drunk at all – just very happy and chilled.

Room Tip: The rooms are all very similar unless you go for a suite or rondoval
3  Thank giskard1
Reviewed 5 November 2011

My wife and I recently spent two glorious weeks at Sandals Grande St. Lucia and enjoyed ourselves immensely. More than anything, we found all of the St. Lucians at the resort to be friendly and extremely gracious hosts. We have traveled to many Caribbean islands but have never felt more welcome than during our trip to Sandals Grande St. Lucia. We stayed in a very nice butler suite and were served by Benedict and Clynns who helped make our vacation the best ever. They would draw hot baths, provide champagne on ice every evening, left great floral messages, afternoon snacks and evening deserts. One benefit of having a butler is they will arrange a cabana on the beach for you and if requested, bring cocktails or a cooler with your favorite beer or soda (at times Benedict even brought drinks, no request on our part, and always managed to bring the perfect drink right at the perfect time). The grounds and landscaping are immaculately kept at St. Lucia as are all Sandals Resorts that we have stayed at.

Those staying in a butler suite can dine at Gordon’s on the Pier without additional charge which alone makes it worth making sure you get a butler suite. The staff at Gordon’s was very attentive and accommodating. Gilbert was the most gracious server we have seen in all our travels around the world, a hard working, smiling, pleasant presence in a perfect place! We feel privileged to have met Gilbert. Spencer and Sara in the kitchen were more like magicians than chefs, turning out magical meals at each of our visits. We ate at Gordon’s five or six times and several times had the special of the evening. We also ordered off the menu and found all offerings to be fantastic. If you go to Gordon’s ask for a table near the water. You can watch trumpet fish chasing little baitfish and one evening we saw a little stingray while enjoying the evening. The view of the entire bay from Gordon’s is spectacular at night which makes it even more of a treat to dine there.

The dive staff at Sandals Grande was also extraordinary. We dove ten of our 14 days and were never disappointed with the sites. Rosebud (St. Rose) led our group most often and always managed to find some really interesting marine life to share, a puffed up puffer fish, a sea muffin, lobster, crabs and eels. We also dove with Tim, Martin and Natalie who were fantastic and led us to some really spectacular dives sites - Superman’s Flight, Coral Gardens and Fairyland were definitely worth repeat visits. Michael, the boat captain, also was always very attentive; helping everyone with gear setup and water and snacks between dives. Nigel from the photo shop went out with us on two different days and shot some great photos of everyone on the dives. This dive crew epitomized our view about the graciousness with which we were treated by everyone in St. Lucia. The water temperatures were in the 84 degree range which meant most of us dove without wet suites. Visibility most days was 50- 60 ft.

We very much enjoyed the pizzas and crepes at Josephine’s most days after diving. We did lunch at Barefoot on a couple of occasions and very much enjoyed the nachos and chicken wraps as well. We ate dinner at Toscanini’s a couple of nights and found the food there to be spectacular. The evening of our arrival Benedict, our butler, brought room service which was also excellent. I had a steak that was to die for which doesn’t happen often with room service. We enjoyed our room service meal enough the first evening to order in again our second week! Since we dove most days, we had room service for breakfast each morning. The meals were always delivered on time (most days even a few minutes early) and the meals were great – a wonderful way to start your day - breakfast for two served on the balcony. It just doesn’t get much better than that.

We went to dinner one night at the Sandals Regency Le Toc restaurant. Shuttle service is provided daily to the other two Sandals resorts. Le Toc serves French cuisine which was extremely tasty. Service was excellent and the atmosphere was very nice. I would recommend trying some of the restaurants at the other two resorts. It’s a fun option and of course the food is great at Le Toc and at Halcyon

We have stayed at other Sandals resorts and have always enjoyed ourselves immensely, but this vacation was the best of the best. The staff at Sandals Grande St Lucia will see us again next year!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rjm715
Reviewed 3 November 2011

PROS
-Nicest of the 3 Sandals in St Lucia
-Many dining options
-Tons of activities and entertainment
-Good location
-Excellent Service: Winston, the GM took very good care of us. We had a minor mishap upon arrival and he did everything in his power to make us feel at home and welcome. After speaking with him on our first day, he turned our attitudes right around and made us fall in love with the resort and st lucia. Everyone of the staff was so friendly and accomadating. Among our favorites: Everyone on the Sandals dive team- especially Romanus- what a great instructor he was! The front desk staff was phenomenal. Also, we loved everyone in the pub, including Earl and Kyle!

CONS
The only thing we were not that impressed with were the rooms. To us, they were very average and the beds are pretty hard. It just doesnt look like the website makes you imagine.

A Few Tips
-Do not book the candelight dinner! They make it look so secluded and romantic on the website but it is not. They line up multiple tables on the beach right infront of the resort where everyone can walk by. Not worth the $$ when it is all included at the other restaurants.
-Toscani's, the Italian restaurant serves breakfast too. Try it- it is much better than room service or the buffet :-) We didnt figure that out until our last day.

4  Thank Danielle8288
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I just got back from a work trip to St. Lucia. I loved this resort and out of the 3 Sandals that are in St. Lucia, this was my favorite. I loved the grounds and the layout and at night/the ambiance was superb. Beware that there is a 1 1/2 hour drive from the airport to get to any of the 3 Sandals properties on the island. St. Lucia is a very hilly island and some agents felt it reminded them of parts of Hawaii. English speaking.........very nice people and Sandals does it best as far as all inclusives go. I would highly recommend this property out of the 3 on the island and beware that the pricing is up there/but worth it.........Sandals does not discount their pricing with using Expedia etc.

Room Tip: Sandals has many categories/make sure to do research before choosing a room
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank pattiOhio
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I felt compelled to write a review (I've never done anything like this before) because I read a lot of reviews on here before I left. To be honest I was a little worried because of some of the negative reviews.
I think most people would say I have high standards - I like to travel and I'm used to staying in very nice hotels and fine dining.
From the moment we landed in Saint Lucia the people were very warm and welcoming! The hotel is nice- I'd compare it to a Hilton here that was rennovated maybe 5 years ago. They work hard to keep the resort maintained. Our room was nice size - the shower could have been a little nicer but overall it was very nice. I did happen to speak to a travel agent who was visiting the resort - they let her see all the rooms at all the resorts so she can make recommentaitons - she said the only difference at the Grande in the rooms is the view - no matter what level you book. We booked a higher level room and our view was amazing - but I'm not sure I'd pay for it now knowing the room is the same - we were hardly in the room at all-probably not worth the extra money - spend it on excursions!
The food was good - very good some places. I was worried about the food because my husband and I really enjoy eating out. I've been on crusies and lost weight becuase I thought the food was so horrible... The food at Sandals is much better. My least favorite place was Josephines- we ate there twice and both times were just ok (I was hoping the first time was just what we ordered...) - I enjoyed the Seafood and Island fare at Barefoots the most - and I heard several couples say the same. We ate at almost all the restaurants at all three resorts - It was fun to try them all. Make reservations early for the restaurants that require them - they fill up fast! Overall we enjoyed the food.
The view and beach at the Grande is simply amazing!!! Breathtaking- AMAZING!!! We had a hard time deciding between the resorts and were surely glad we chose the Grande! We had no problem getting drinks or beach chairs. We also had a great time with the watersports. Watersports would be hard a LaToc because the current in the Ocean is very strong there- They have staff on waverunners to rescue people as they are dragged out...I saw someone get rescued. Needless to say we didn't get in the water at LaToc!
LaToc is MUCH bigger - they have shuttles that take you around - were at the Grande you can easily walk to everything. For those reasons we were glad we choose the Grande - It's worth the extra money! The Haylcon is SUPER small... We liked that at the Grande we could be social if we wanted - hanging out at the main pool or a busy part of the beach - or go off to one of the side pools or the end of the beach for a quiter time - so we felt it was the best of both worlds with the best view!
We also hiked the "mountain" - (not a bad hike at all - maybe 30 minute walk to the top up trails) right next to the resort. It's a park. That was a highlight for sure and we got some amazing pictures. Take a pair of tennis shoes and plan on doing that - it's worth it!
Overall if you are considering Sandals Grande Saint Lucia for a romatic trip - I'd say for sure book it! We are already planning on going back. The staff does everything they can to make your time there amazing.
My view on the negative reviews - some people just can't be pleased!

11  Thank Meredith W