My husband and I spent our 30th anniversary ( and both of our birthdays) here in January. This was our first all inclusive experience. We have been on many cruises in the past and loved everyone of them. I do have to admit that this format was even better! We have been to many Caribbean island and St. Lucia is by far our favorite. The location and the people of St. Lucia were beautiful. The trip was "so much better than expected" because of the somewhat negative reviews that I read on this site.
First let me say that yes the hour and a half trip from the airport to the Grande was long , however it is a beautiful way to see this fabulous island. Every turn was a "Kodak" moment. There is a helicopter ride for and additional fee that can have you there in 15 minutes or so . I would suggest that only if you get car sick.
The staff was very welcoming , we had the concierge check in , however any time we had a need to have the front desk attend to a situation, they were also very helpful !
We were greeted with a room full of flower petals, chilled Champagne , and a full bar. The room was very nice. Yes you could see it was somewhat worn (because of so many memories being made there) but it was clean and very pretty. The swim up room was a treat! The view was beautiful! The grounds keepers work very hard and it shows!
Now for the food, it was solidly good, like a cruise, and the restaurants, La Toc and Toscany's was very good. Make your reservations early in the week as they do fill up. We did not eat at Gordon's, we opted to go off site and had a wonderful dinner at Big Chef Steak House. It was a $12 cab fare but worth it. The drinks at the Grande were okay, this is about the only negative. The bar tenders are somewhat grumpy except for Peter out at the swim up pool. The wine and beer were good.
Some suggestions, bring a lot of sunscreen, as it is expensive, also bring a small cooler to take to the beach with you. Some days the service was very good and sometimes not.
We did take two excursions, We went with " Charlie" on the beach for the snorkeling, a trip to the falls, mineral bath and mud bath, and finished at his aunt's home for a fabulous lunch!! This trip is not to be missed. Also if you like to horseback ride, go with Bano . He is located at the outside of the property past Gordons. We took a nice ride int Gros Islet, rode along the beach and even swam in the ocean with the horses. It was amazing.
The entertainment was nice. There is as much as you want to do , or as little The beach was just breath taking, and it was groomed by hand every day by the grounds keepers. The crowd was a true mix of all ages. We were worried that it would be all honeymooners. It was not.
We will return to this beautiful island as soon as we can. You will not be disappointed unless you are a negative Nilly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •301 room, 17 acre resort combines historic British & French flavor•Pigeon Island, home to our annual St. Lucia Jazz Festival, combines historic British & French flavor that unfolds at Sandals•Offers exotic island & international culinary temptations at seven dining options •Ocean & beach view accommodations •Caribbean Sea•A lagoon swim-up pool where guests can swim right up to their patio ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Hotel Gros Islet
- Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa And Beach Resort