“Amazing Anniversary Trip”

Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Rodney Bay
Reviewed 21 November 2017

My wife and I traveled here for to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. St. Lucia has been on our bucket list for a long time and we were finally able to make our dream trip come true.

We arrived at Sandals on 11/09/17 at approximately 2:30 am after being delayed for 10 hours in San Juan due to an issue with our plane. When we arrived we were immediately greeted by staff with a cold towel and a drink. We were staying in a Club Level room but unfortunately we had to check in at the front desk due to Club Level being closed. Check in was very quick and we did not have any issues. We were the only ones checking in at the time. We were immediately escorted to our room which was room 2106 swim up. We requested a room with an over sized stand up shower instead of the shower/tub combo which was granted. The room was clean and adequate. It was stocked with several bottles of alcohol along with a fridge full of beer, water, coke, sprite, ginger ale and juices. On the table waiting for us was a bottle of sparkling wine on ice with flowers for our anniversary and also 2 plates of food. Unfortunately the food had been sitting there for awhile and was not edible. We were originally suppose to arrive on 11/08/17 by 5:00 pm. We also had towel art on our bed which was a nice touch. Our luggage arrived quickly to our room.

The next morning we got up early and took a tour of the resort with Captain Neil. We don't usually do these tours but decided we would since we were staying for 11 days. I would recommend going on the tour because Neil is a blast and we were able to see everything the resort had to offer. It was a quick tour and well worth our time.

We went to Club Sandals and met with staff. We were able to go over our schedule for the duration of our stay and make all of our dinner reservations. I would suggest you make all of your reservations as soon as possible because dates and times are limited. We were able to get into every restaurant requiring reservations which was Kimonos, Gordon's on the Pier and Bombay. We also spoke to Club Sandals about some type of reimbursement for our first night since we didn't get to enjoy any of the amenities on 11/08/17 due to our delay. I was disappointed that Sandals was not willing to work with us at all on this. Well, that was $850.00 down the drain! We had also requested a room next to us for our friends who were joining us and they ended up putting them about the furthest away from us as possible. They were eventually able to move closer to us but this was an inconvenience.

We ate at several different places during our stay to include Kimonos (2 times), Bombay, Toscaninis (2 times), Gordon's, Olde London Pub, Barefoot by the Sea, Dinos, The Jerk Shack, The Mariner Seaside Bar and Grill and Josephines. We also did the candlelight dinner on the beach and ordered room service. Here is a breakdown of our experiences.

Candlelight Dinner - Amazing. It was very expensive but honestly it was worth it for our anniversary. This was the best meal of our stay.

Kimonos - We loved everything about it. Fun atmosphere and the food is very good. Come hungry as you will eat a lot of food!

Toscaninis - First off, the service is absolutely horrible! It took over 40 minutes and complaints to management to get our appetizers of soup and salad. We spent no less than 2 hours for dinner here. I know we were on island time but this was ridiculous! So much that we received a special invitation by management to come to breakfast the next morning at Barefoot by the Sea. We did and the food / service was good. The food at Toscaninis was average. We get just as good of food if not better at Olive Garden where we are from.

Josephines - Great place for ice cream, shakes, pastries, coffee and a quick breakfast.

Barefoot by the Sea - Food was ok. We all had lobster here and the first lobster we got was probably sitting around for awhile and over cooked. We all ordered a second lobster tail and it was much better!

Olde London Pub - We had some drinks here and dessert and appetizers. The service was non-existent except for one of the managers who we found to be very attentive. We came several times throughout our stay and it didn't get any better. Also, beware this place turns into nothing but extremely loud music at night. So much we could not even communicate between each other and had to leave. This is about the only place to go at night so it was a bit disappointing.

Gordon's - Great setting on the pier. We unfortunately went on a Sunday night when the locals were gathering on the property adjacent to Sandals. They were extremely loud creating an environment that was not romantic for dinner. The food and service was pretty good.

Dinos - We had pizza here a couple times for lunch during our stay. It takes about 30 minutes for your food to be ready but it was good.

The Jerk Shack - We ate lunch here several times. The food and service was good.

Mariners - We also ate lunch here several times. The food was good but the service was spotty. We had to wait awhile for service at times.

Bombay - Service was good but the food was ok. I don't really eat this type of food but others with us do and they didn't enjoy it either.

All in all the food was good. Definitely not 5 star compared to US standards but I enjoyed most of my meals. I wanted to mention that Bayside is currently under construction. This was not a distraction in any way during our stay. With the construction going on, Toscaninis relaxed their dress code. This was a bit of a disappointment as others were wearing baseball hats, shorts, etc to dinner. We still dressed up and enjoyed doing so.

We spent a lot of time at the Beach and Pools. We had a great time. There was never an issue getting beach chairs or pool chairs. Yes the towel game goes on but we did not wake up any earlier to find a place to sit. Always somewhere to go and hang out. The pool has a fun atmosphere and the bartenders did a good job. Service could be improved on but overall it was good. The beach is loaded with vendors. We did book a tour with one of them but they were overwhelming at times. They were asking people to bring them food and alcohol and they would down the drinks immediately so they didn't get caught by security. By the end of the day, several vendors were intoxicated to a point where it was getting ridiculous. It is a public beach so they are allowed to hang out. Either stay by the pools or go in the ocean to avoid them. Most of them would approach you and move on if you said no thank you but it gets old after being there for 11 days.

We went to the spa for our couples massage. We both really enjoyed this and thought they did a good job. There is an automatic 12.5% fee added to any spa treatment you have. This is the TIP for the workers even though they ask if you want to supplement the 12.5% with an additional tip.

We are an active couple and sailed every day and used the paddle boards. I have been sailing for approximately 42 years and have raced sailboats and sailed a 40' and 44' catamaran before though I could not get them to let me sail the bigger of the 2 catamarans they have. They have a 14' Hobie and a larger one with two sails. Staff acted like I was lying to them about my experience instead of letting me prove it to them. I was teaching others how to sail during my stay and staff even commented on how I was going to take their job but that didn't appear to be good enough. Disappointing for sure!

We also hiked the mountains on Pigeon Island. This was a great hike with fantastic views from the top. Make sure to bring water and wear closed toed shoes. It will cost you $8.00 a person to get into the park. There is also a great little place to grab a beer after your hike. It is to the right after you enter the park and is called Barnacles.

We booked the speed boat tour from Lyle on the beach on Knotty Girl. It was a trip to snorkel, go to the mud baths, waterfall, etc. We had a great time though we felt rushed throughout our trip. We also booked the jet skis from Big D on the beach several different times. We paid $60 for 40 minutes. I highly recommend Big D. He is a great family man and works hard. We also did a private tour of the Island through Randy at St. Lucia Travel and Tours. I would highly recommend Randy and I personally would not book with anyone else.

We had a great stay at Sandals. Was our trip perfect...no, but what trip is. There is something for everyone to do. You can be active or choose not to be. You can hang out with others or find a quiet spot to yourselves. Having a swim up room was great. Nobody was ever in our pool. Overall the trip was expensive. I think a bit overpriced for what it is. You can certainly go cheaper as we have in the past but options were limited in St. Lucia. We were happy with our choice!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jeff h
Write a ReviewReviews (7,041)

Reviewed 19 November 2017

This resort was the most wonderful place I have ever stayed. It was plush, romantic, relaxing, and the best vacation I have EVER had. All inclusive is the way to go! The food was delicious and I loved not taking my purse anywhere with me. I locked it in the safe when we arrived and didn’t see it for a week. It is great to walk to each meal. The food was delicious and the variety was great!The water was clear and wonderfu.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank jeannniem2017
Reviewed 19 November 2017

There’s not much more to be said about this resort that has not already been said. Sandals provides the opportunity to go on vacation and put your money away. The freedom to not have to bring cash to the beach or to the bar is refreshing. This in turn does not diminish the service. The staff could not be any nicer. There were so many who made our stay memorable but often times they were so quick we didn’t get names. Peter at the swim-up bar was exceptional and always went the extra mile. OT in the loyalty desk always managed to see us walking by his office and poke his head out to say hi. The manager at Bombay and the London Pub were always busting their butt for the guests. Lance in the Club Loung always made us smile.

I did want to bring up something about the vendors on the beach. These people are licensed and are people just trying to support their families. Their tours are reputable and often much lower than Sandals tours. Using them means supporting St. Lucia. They will notice you on your first or second day and will approach you in a courteous manner. You can listen to them or not but don’t be rude. On subsequent days they may follow up with you but it is never intrusive. There were three different companies represented and if one person approached you, the other one wouldn’t. I don’t know how they figure it out but they do. My husband and I spent quite some time talking to three separate vendors and at one point, at our request, all three of them were sitting on the sand at our beach chairs having a great time. We had unfortunately booked a tour prior to arriving and our biggest regret was not booking with them. We spoke with many people who took their tours and all reviews were glowing. Don’t hesitate to book with Lyle from Ocean Angels and Josiah from Real Deal.

4  Thank JaniceM1234
Reviewed 17 November 2017

My husband and I just got home from our week long Honeymoon at Sandals Grande and I honestly cannot say enough amazing things! To begin, the island is incredibly beautiful. The atmosphere at the hotel was amazing and the staff... I cannot thank the staff enough! These people work so hard and such crazy hours, but never miss a beat. They are always so kind, accomodating, and happy! To name a few of the AMAZING staff; Francillia, Neil, Giovanni, Stefan, Stan, Irene, Kyle... I could honestly go on... these people made our trip so fun and memorable! The food was incredible! Everything was phenomenal. We will certainly be returning!

Room Tip: The Lovers Lagoon is in a great location and it very quiet!