1,392 results
All reviews thirsty turtle vintage pearl garden cabana crab races movie night fire dancers live music cruise ship laid back fun activities west end great diving fish the wait staff front porch took great care lounge chairs
Reviewed 23 November 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere at the bar with a beautiful view and fun music. Had a great time talking to the bartender. Renee makes the best mojito on the island! We will definitely spend more time there during our next visit.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amy H
Reviewed 18 November 2017

The location is great. It's along a stretch of beach with several other hotels. I enjoyed the area because it was low-key. If you want to party late into the night, West End is better. There is a water taxi that will take you into the West End until about 17:00. The land taxi is available at all hours to get there and back.

The resort itself is in need of a serious renovation. The bathroom is small, the shower pipe in my room came out of the wall, the tiles are dirty, and it doesn't look like it's been cleaned properly for some time. It's really a low quality room...and I've stayed at some less than ideal hotels. If it was $20 / night, it would've been fine. At $80 / night, it's overpriced. The staff at the resort and restaurant are very friendly. The resort also provides filtered water coolers in the rooms.

The food at the resort is average. I prefer to eat the local food when I travel. There are a couple of really good shacks, but they're only open until 14:00 / 15:00 - the shack in the large parking lot (no name) and the shack next to the cigar shop in the small parking lot. JavaVine Cafe and Mangiamo in the West Bay Mall are good too. These are all within walking distance.

There is an abundance of annoying vendors on the beach. I'm told the government is planning to crack down on them in the next few months, but it hardly leads to a relaxing experience on the beach. Also, when the cruise ships come in, it can get pretty crowded. Fortunately, it only lasts a few hours and then they leave on their ships. The resort has its own beach chairs, but you'll have to pay for them at other resorts if you want to sit elsewhere.

Overall, it was a good experience. I don't dive or snorkel, but those who do said it's on par with the Great Barrier Reef. I'm told you can snorkel right off the beach.

As for trips, we had a few activities planned with Detour. The ones that actually happened (parasailing and ziplining) were good. The activity staff and Detour representatives were all very friendly and helpful. The owners of Detour (Jason and Jamie) are hardly professional. If you decide to book an excursion, confirm that it's actually happening the day before. You can read my review here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g292019-d4276835-r539118228-Detour_Roatan-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html. I was less than pleased.

My friend and I did get sick. I rarely get sick on holiday, but the manager at the resort said it's a common occurrence for travelers. There's a pharmacy (farmacia) within walking distance that helped my friend who ended up getting sick on the day we left. As a general rule, it's best to pack diarrhea medicine when traveling. However, this shouldn't deter you. It's a precautionary tale to make sure you have the appropriate medicine. The woman at the pharmacy was very helpful.

Lastly, the bugs and sand fleas are RELENTLESS. Be sure to pack bug spray and anti-itch cream. I would suggest spraying yourself often and generously. The chemical, Picaridin, is supposed to prevent sand flea bites.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank A M
Reviewed 3 November 2017

My wife & I spent 2 weeks here in October.
This is a great place. Very laid back & relaxing.
Everyone who works here is very helpful and friendly.
The rooms are clean and kept clean everyday.
The dive shop staff are AMAZING!
We both finished off our Open Water Certification with a very patient & knowledgeable instructor Andrea who was assisted by Kesha. They were both great. We had additional dives with Martin & Zoe who were also great.
We met numerous divers who keep coming back here.
We are planning to return in 2018, but not in october...it was rather rainy.

Room Tip: I'dtry to stay away from the rooms beside the road , office & security post. We were in #16 and it was great.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Everytime I visit Roatan I loooove eating at their restaurant located infront of the beach! They always have good music (live sometimes), the staff is super friendly, the food is delicious and they have good prices!!!! Keep it up! Also the hotel is super!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2017

Great place for relaxing and diving. Small operation, not extremely over crowded. Great staff at the restaurant the Thirsty Turtle. Tasty food at a reasonable price. The Dive shop is the best place on the island. Zoe, and Martin are wonderful dive masters. Thanks for a great week Bananarama.

Stayed: October 2017