“Our Best Experience in Belize (and we had a great time everywhere)!!!”

Moonracer Farm Lodging & Tours
Ranked #1 of 1 San Antonio B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2017

Simply put, if you are going near San Ignacio and need a place to stay, just stay here. It is off the grid, but you will not miss civilization one bit. My family of four, including two teenage daughters, stayed here for three nights and absolutely loved it. Here are the reasons why:

1. Tom and Marge. The owners of Moonracer are authentic, warm and helpful. They have a vast amount of information about the area and will spend their time finding out what you like and advising you about how to have the best experience. They are much more than proprietors. They know the names of the plants and animals, they know the region and they know the local sites and people. They want you to have a sincerely good time. Before we went on the ATM tour, for example, Tom gave us loads of advice, all of which was spot on and very helpful.

2. Hummingbirds at breakfast. I do not even want to describe this beyond saying that you have to stay there and experience it yourself. I have never seen such a congregation of hummingbirds.

3. Marge's cooking. Marge uses local ingredients in a wonderful way, so that her cooking comes off as both familiar and a bit exotic. Everything that she made was fresh, delicious and plentiful. If you stay at Moonracer, be sure to at least get your breakfasts and dinners here!

4. Unplugging. It was wonderful to get away from the craziness of the Internet and civilized life for a few days. There is so much to do and see that we did not miss it at all.

5. Location. Moonracer is in an excellent location, not far from Caracol, the Mountain Pine forest, and San Ignacio.

6. Home Away From Home. Traveling can be stressful, even when you are having fun. There are lots of uncertainties and risks that you just have to accept. These feelings are amplified when you travel with children. It was SO NICE to "come home" to the comfort of Tom and Marge's after a day of adventuring and exploring. I can honestly say that it was hard to drive away from there after our last day. And we drove away saying that we had to write this review because we appreciated them so much.

Room Tip: Recommend renting the entire cabin if you have more than two in your party and can afford it.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Brett K

Reviewed 12 July 2017

After I had booked some nights at a medium fancy resort near San Ignacio, my husband came to me and asked if we could stay at Moonracer Farm a few of the nights during our 6 day trip. I thought, "Hmmmm, no electricity? Way off the beaten path?" I did some research and it did look great! A bonus was the crazy coincidence that Tom and Marge went to the same little high school in NJ I did. I said, "Honey, we should stay there all five nights" and I'm so glad we did.

We stayed in one of the new casitas nestled in the jungle down a small path. Each night we were surrounded by the sounds of the jungle and the pitch black (don't worry, they have solar lanterns to help you get back to your casita if it's dark) and each morning we woke to the sound of what seemed like hundreds of birds.

Do take full advantage of dining with Tom and Marge for dinner and breakfast. Marge is a great cook and the meals are made with local ingredients, served in their big open palapa dining room near her very impressive kitchen. You'll dine with Tom and Marge and other guests surrounded by the sound of about 30 hummingbirds feeding all around the dining area. On our nights there we enjoyed wonderful evenings getting to know our fellow travelers and we all swapped stories over beer and rum drinks. They know the area well and can give advice and arrange tours, too.

I didn't miss the lack of electricity or cell service one bit (they'll turn on the internet for you in the morning if you like). In fact, when the cell service came back to life a bit down the road on our way to San Ignacio, it was a let down! I loved the feeling of being somewhat isolated in a beautiful spot surrounded by nature. Marge and Tom's wonderful hospitality and the camaraderie we found will fellow guests made staying at Moonracer Farm an unforgettable experience. As we were leaving to return to the US, a huge flock of parrots flew overhead, the perfect sendoff after our perfect stay.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RachelForresst
Reviewed 8 July 2017

My Brother and I made our first Birding trip together to Belize this last winter and we hit the usual Eco-lodges one may find online. Being a well traveled and knowledgeable Birder I was disappointed in the Big Name lodges we first stayed at. I felt the cost did not match the product. Then we found Marge and Tom at Moonracer Farm. WOW! What a difference! The cabinas were comfortable, clean and affordable but the Hosts, Marge and Tom were incredible. Anything we needed or wanted was there for us (up to and including just leaving us to do our own thing). Marge, being a Birder herself was more than happy to expand the Farms reach towards the Birding community. They now cater to hardcore Birders (and all wanderers and explorers) and have set-up feeder stations on site and boy! What a collection of birds! I saw over a hundred and fifty species on their property alone without even knowing the calls! Which could have added many more. I expect their Yard List to top 300 species in no time at all. Moonracer Farm is the gateway to Mountain Pine Ridge with one of the numerous trails leading from the Farm to the Slate Creek Lookout where you can sit and watch Greater Black Hawk, Black and White Hawk Eagle, King Vulture and most of the other unique raptors in the region. I had an Orange-breasted Falcon perch in a snag 40 feet away from me where it sat for 45 minutes! The best bird onsite? No it wasn't the Lovely Cotinga it was the VIOLET-HEADED HUMMINGBIRD! The first ever record for Belize! I can't wait to get back there and fill up on Marge's escabeche before a full day of hiking, exploring and Birding. Thanks Marge and Tom, see you soon!

Room Tip: There are single and double stand alone cabinas and abutted cabinas. If you want complete privacy as...
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 7 May 2017

Moonracer Farm Lodging had no electricity, but it was beautiful. We went to sleep to the sounds of crickets and night birds, and woke to the sound of roosters and howler monkeys. The air was super-fresh, and it was a great way to decompress upon arrival to Belize! Hot water with great pressure, unbelievably comfy beds and surprisingly clean to be so rustic.

It is owned and run by a couple from NJ. They offered breakfast and dinner, which were tasty. Dinner is served communally with other guests, which could be a bit of a crap shoot in terms of the dynamics (Though our experience was great; Joined the celebration of a newly wedded couple!) so, I recommend grabbing a bottle of rum on your way there to help lubricate the conversation. Definitely a good deal and experience!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 April 2017

We spent 3 nights here and it was wonderful. We typically are quiet, keep to ourselves people so I wasn't sure how I would like being around Tom and Marge but they were great hosts! Marge's cooking is delicious and even the kids liked it. Everything is homemade and she makes her own bread. They were accommodating and helpful. Our kids loved Julio, their handyman, and he especially made my 9 year old son feel welcome. If you get a chance, I would go on the horseback riding tour and the mayan lunch with hiking and caving tour. Both are extremely reasonable in price compared to other lodges (about half of what the other lodges were charging) and they were unique experiences. I think that besides GAIA and Blanancaux, this is the closest lodge to Caracol, which we also toured. We stayed at 3 other lodges during the trip and even though this was the most "rustic", we liked it the best. Toucans in the trees, howler monkeys at night, what more could you ask for? Thanks Tom and Marge!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
5.3 km away
Gaia Riverlodge
Gaia Riverlodge
#3 of 3 in Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve

Been to Moonracer Farm Lodging & Tours? Share your experiences!