“Balkan classics in the heart of Brussels”
Review of LE DANUBE BLEU

LE DANUBE BLEU
Ranked #12 of 59 Restaurants in Etterbeek
Cuisines: Croatian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 September 2015

Le Danube Bleu offers many of the traditional Balkan foods found throughout Eastern Europe, though they Croatian in background. The menu isn't gigantic, but there's a good variety to choose from, including some simpler fare for those who aren't so adventurous with their tastes (if you want a steak, you can get it).

The cevapi are excellent, the sarma rich and flavorful, and the muskalica was excellent too, though surprisingly spicy.

The house wine was a good deal and a bit better than what I've had throughout Brussels.

The owners / staff were exceptionally friendly, and readily available, which makes the service about two times better than what you'll find in most of Belgium.

They speak English, French, and Croatian, so you have some language options, too.

1  Thank sokket

Reviewed 9 July 2015

This is a restaurant where the owner greets each individual diner with a welcoming handshake and a smile. And ends the meal with an equally warm send off. Where the food is prepared by two individuals in the kitchen while the owner handles serving the food and drinks, and clearing the tables. There is nothing slick or trendy about this restaurant. Rather it is a place where everything is done simply, elegantly and correctly. This is a restaurant from another time. "Forty years here," said the owner on our first of two visits.
The first time we ate on the open air patio in back of the restaurant and we then moved inside for our second visit. Both were terrific experiences.
During our visits we tried three different entrees and 3 desserts. The menu is in French and w are limited to English. But the owner patiently, and with evident pride, described each dish. They were all winners. We enjoyed duck with a peppercorn cream sauce, grilled steak topped with sautéed fresh mushrooms, onions and bacon, and a beef filet with a mushroom cream sauce. The desserts- crepes with ice cream, chocolate mousse and fresh strawberries with vanilla ice cream- were perfect after meal treats.The portions are generous and the prices are moderate. A restaurant this good deserves to be recognized and visited. We only regret that living in another country limits our visits. But, we will be back when we are next in Brussels.

Reviewed 12 October 2014 via mobile

Very good food. Very good environment. Very nice people. Deserves the 5 stars. They also give aperos at the beginning and digestive at the end.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I know the owners of this agradable little restaurant for many years, in fact more than 40 years !!
I went there with my "fiancé", with my wife, with the family and offently with collegues and friends !
Menu is still the same but I can tell you Meat and vegetables are super and fresh !
Try the lamb chaschlik or the Rostbrastna beef ..... with a smooth and delicious croatian wine !
I will stop speak about it cause you will soon tell / ....he's a friend of them !!!!
Yes Of course and I'm proud of it ! But if you meet Julia and Yvo for the first time you will understand me ! As genuine borned "brusseleir" i can tell you this is my favorite place to eat in a kind and warm atmosphere ! Kvala Tovaritch Yvo for your sympathy !!!

2  Thank thebelgianfox
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I ate Croatian food in several places (and in Slovenia too) and I never meet such tasty food as in Bleu Danube. Going there for the last 7 years....And always satisfied

3  Thank Francesco Z