“Great Visit With American Friends 12/08/2017 ”
Review of The Crown Inn

The Crown Inn
Ranked #9 of 11 Restaurants in Anstey
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

Having lived in the Anstey New Build Development (just behind the Crown) for 2 years and six months, it is crazy to think it was the arrival of our family friends from Kansas in the US for us to visit this pub (since we moved in).

We visited the pub on Saturday evening and my American friends had a brilliant evening! There was a singer delivering American Motown classics and a great Elvis track.

The barmaids were very friendly and paid great attention to our American friends. The drink was very well priced and there was a good range available.

The evening atmosphere was very good and everyone was very friendly.

We then visited the pub again on Sunday afternoon for a drink and my daughter enjoyed playing on the Bouncy Castle (with the other local children).

For a long period in 2015 this pub was closed and it is great to see it open and being very busy during both the evening as well as the day time.

I hope it continues to be busy.

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We visited the Crown Inn Anstey on Sunday, 6th August 2017. We had called on the Saturday to book a table for 8, as my daughter was visiting from Australia, and wanted to meet family / friends over Sunday lunch. My daughter wanted us to join her, so we called on the Saturday evening to increase the booking to 10 people, and were told this was no problem. We requested 2pm, but were asked to take 2.30pm to help them out, so we agreed.

We duly arrived at 2.30pm to be told that there was only a table for 8, so my wife and I sat on an adjacent table.

Just before 3pm I had to go to the bar and request that they come and take a drinks order! This was taken at 3pm, and the drinks were poured and placed on the bar, but despite barstaff talking behind the bar, these were not brought over, and we collected them ourselves off the bar at 3.15pm! We were not questioned by the staff who were still behind the bar!

Our food orders were taken at 3.30pm, but that did not arrive at our tables until 4.30pm! When it did arrive the general feeling was that it was of poor quality. There was no explanation for the food taking 1 hour to arrive.

Needless to say, it will be a long time before I decide to eat at the Crown Inn again!

The place has great potential, but the fact is that it cannot fulfill that potential whilst it continues to perform and treat customers in this way.

1  Thank Brian J
Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

We came here we had heard lots of good reviews so after a walk at bradgate park we went for some lunch, barman was grumpy, sat in garden but when asked if the bouncy castle could go up we were told it was wet so would not be going up, there was a teenage girl beginning to paint the bench tops but we were not informed nor were there any signs up, she just slapped the paint on while we sat there with a 2 year old running a round. Food arrived, some were over cooked, burger had big stingy bits of fat and god knows what in so I couldn't eat it. When puddings arrived one was missing, we asked the barman where it was he was rude and abrupt. It's over priced and not the quality I was expecting which is very disappointing. We won't be returning.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

3 out of the 4 meals we had were passable, with 1 chicken Caesar "salad" being sent back because it wasn't exactly a salad, nor did it taste nice at all. The waitress was friendly enough and apologised, and we were offered a replacement, but politely refused and just asked that the salad was to be removed from the bill at the end. At this point we had spent £82 on food and drink.
When it came to pay the bill at the end, the person who was serving us (Ben) argued the toss about taking the salad off the bill, saying it came exactly as described and that he didn't want to refund it. I challenged this and he all of a sudden became very defensive and started arguing with me, when we clearly stated 1 hour before we didn't like the salad and we didn't want to pay for it (nothing uncommon about this). At the end of the day, if they ask if the food is okay, and it is not, they can offer you a refund or replacement. We declined the replacement and asked for a refund. This is what was agreed.
I have never known anyone so rude and defensive when being asked to take £9 off a bill of £82, when we clearly stated we wanted a refund on the so called salad.
Disgraceful service from Ben, which ruined the night. Avoid this place if you want somewhere nice and friendly to eat.

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

We have just visited for a lunchtime meal. The food was absolutely dreadful. Not sure if it was over cooked or the oil needed changing. Can't fault the girl behind the bar she appeared to be managing mainly on her own. Definitely would not go back for food!!

2  Thank 186334Jules