All reviews fizzy friday christmas decorations afternoon tea christmas lunch scones scallops the main hotel birthday party superb food south lakes course meal the cottages cooked to perfection cooked breakfast well worth a visit barrow orangery
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

A group of us went here Friday night for Fizzy Friday. It was £20 a ticket and for that you got a visit to the horderves table where there are meats, fish, pasta, rice, etc then to he dessert table where there were around 5 choices. Pete Murphy was the entertainment and was really good. Only downsides was that there weren't enough champagne flutes and not much space to dance. I would recommend and I will go again.

Date of stay: September 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank MaisieMooD
Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

We were due to stay for the bank holiday weekend I said due as when I saw the whole comedy show it felt like a bad episode of Faulty Towers and we ended up driving 3hrs back home. And it wasn't cheap either £300 for 2nights with no breakfast I could have stayed to the Burnside in Windermere for that price!

First we arrived at lunch time to be told the room was not ready and guests where still around so it would not be cleaned before 2pm at least I thought fair enough we will have Sunday lunch on site then get our room then.

Then the unfriendly reception lady (she could not crack a smile!) told us she had to check with the chef to see if we could be served they somehow managed to find us a table..the meal was sooooo long it took 1h30 to be served our Sunday Roast! We were surrounded by elderly people who complained when we opened the door as it felt like a sauna (being in an orangerie/conservatory type of room) it was just like visiting my great aunt in a nursery home. After 20minutes I felt 80 myself...

Thirdly, we were told our room was ready and the barman would take us there!?! What do you mean take us there? Yes we had to walk 150yards to this isolated and odd apartment because there was no car park on site!! Basically you had to walk there on the main road with your bags, child, dog and bump (yes 6months pregnant too) then had to go back up hill to the main building! Once there we found out they gave us the wrong set of keys and others guests had ours.
The apartment itself was strangely built but quite clean to be fair but impracticable to access with pram or wheelchair as there is a huge staircase to get to your flat with again an odd way to insert keys to get in! We were rescued by the cleaners or we would have had to go back to the main reception for the third time!
We ended up giving the keys back and were told sorry you feel this way goodbye.

So to cut a long story short I don't understand how they managed to sustain their business for so long. What should have been a special weekend ended up being a nightmare to the point we had to drive back home. The manager is never able to comment or probably always busy hiding away from unhappy guests I guess!
I spoke to Booking.com people and I am in touch with them to take things further as the way they treat and deceive people is a total disgrace!
In brief, avoid at all cost!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
7  Thank MrsCDG
Reviewed 29 August 2017

This Bank Holiday Saturday night, my friend Anne and myself attended the Clarence House Hotel's first theme night, under the name of 'Saturday Night Smooth' which we later learned was the first of many theme'd dinner evening's planned. Knowing this be assured we've booked for the next one to be staged in November, and what's more we're staying over so that the driver can indulge in a drink of bubbly. (The diver being the typist of this review!
We're no stranger's to the Clarence House Hotel meaning my friend and I along with our late friend Alison used too come once a month to the Ladies Luncheon Club, which the three of us used to look foreward too immensely as it was quite a drive over from Seascale/Ravenglass on the west coast come rain or shine, but it was alway's well worth the drive. Seeing that we've both recently lost our Husband's and their aniversaries were looming and plus loosing our third member of the Luncheon club Alison we decided to have a remembrance dinner to celebrate their lives and the joy that the three of them have given us during all the year's that we'd known them.

What can I say about Saturday Smooth night, only it was fabulous, the food was just wonderful, and the entertainment was so so good, the young threesome were very talented and boy! could they belt out a show stopper from either a Broadway Mucial, Film or super smooth jazz ballad.
If you want to celabrate in style, that special date in your life, why join us at the next special Saturday Night Smooth at the Clarence House Hotel, the surroundings of elegant dinning room, plus the enjoyment of a fabulous 3 course meal, with entertainment all make's for a very special evening.
By the way we have every intention of rejoining the Ladies that Lunch again! missed that so much.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Driving into the grounds of the hotel was very nice, we thought we had made the correct decision to stay there for two nights, beautiful building, we took our dog along as agreed with the hotel, we checked in and were shown to our room, next to the laundry room, noisy and staff walking past our window was not what we wanted so asked to change rooms.
We were given another room, which we appreciated, however, the attitude of the receptionist became diabolical. The second room was like the first, dates with a terrible carpet...what shocked us the most was a spotlight on the ceiling hanging off, wallpaper not stuck to the wall properly, receipts from previous occupants, dead spiders in the walldrobe, skirting boards hanging off, they are supposed to serve evening meals every evening, but no food was being served on our last night, previous occupants had left toiletries which has not been removed until the next morning, so all in all it was not worth the money and we will not be staying again, my advice is, look for somewhere else.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 21 August 2017 via mobile

I was staying in the area for business and wanted to find a great hotel to make up for the long days. Sadly I chose Clarence House. There are two distinct parts to this place. 1. Rooms and 2. Common Parts.

On the plus side the common parts, i.e. Bar and restaurant look quite good and are comfortable. Food for breakfast was good too. That's what gets it the two stars.

My room was a disgrace. There is simply no way this is 4* standard. No property with rooms like this should get a 4* rating. Mine was a bad 2*.

My room was tiny. Holes in the wall where the last curtain rail was. A carpet that made me wish I had brought slippers. A tv with a strange flashing blue light which made the room feel like a hobbit's disco at night (until I covered it with socks). The door creaked every time something bigger than a sparrow went past outside. An expelair in the bathroom that played a horrible tune and begged to be euthanised. A weak shower..... and ... whilst they have Molton Brown bottles in the shower the content is definitely not Molton Brown. I had my own with me and the difference was so obvious compared to the dubious watery stuff they had. This is appalling. It is an attempt to fool guests.

I should have known as I broke my own rule of never booking a hotel where the website doesn't show proper room pictures and has careful close up photos. I guess they have a couple of nice rooms so the inspector got to see those but mine was truly awful.

Even worse I passed a nearby hotel called the Abbey that was lovely. I spent the day there instead and had a great lunch there too but sadly they were fully booked or I would have left the Clarence immediately.

I think they do well from some large corporate bookings here but The Abbey will kill it eventually and that will be a blessing for unsuspecting travellers. Either that or they charge £50 and accept that's all it's worth.

I should also add that the staff were friendly.

Trip type: Travelled on business