“Excellent steakhouse!”

Miller & Carter Birmingham Hagley Rd
Ranked #2 of 60 Restaurants in Smethwick
Reviewed 29 September 2016 via mobile

Visited here with family. The decor is lovely and the food was very tasty and well-presented. Wines selections were excellent too! Loved it and would come again! Nice family atmosphere and would be a great romantic destination too.

Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

Lively staff n the food was amazing.. wasn't to sure about it at first as I'm not a steak person but there was plenty other food

Reviewed 28 September 2016

First visited on the opening launch night and my visit last night was my 3rd time dining here.
On all occasions, I have not been able to fault the food, which is great! I always seems to either pick a rib eye or fillet steak with fries excluding the lettuce wedge (always think this has been a weird idea from the chain! It’s such an odd addition to a meal and does nothing for it!). Steak has always been cooked just the way I like (medium rare) and the meal is always so flavorsome! I really do enjoy the food here.

The cocktails I won’t be ordering again unfortunately, they never seem to be mixed properly and are VERY watered down. I have mentioned this several times but the staff just listened rather than acknowledged my comment to be honest. Desserts are fantastic and always go down well. However, beers and spirits are good of course!

The staff on the whole are very friendly and welcoming with smiles, with the odd member who appears a bit glum behind the front bar! Also, on all occasions there is always a couple who are either incredibly nervous when serving or they seem to have their “training head” on. For example, going to pick up a glass by hand and then apologising nervously because they forgot get a tray to put the glass on - bless them. It’s fine! Never waiting “too” long for a meal here which is good.

Very happy that you can reserve a table online! Unfortunately, I always seem to have a problem getting through to this restaurant by phone. I do have a preference of where to sit in this particular restaurant as towards the back by the WC’s – it does feel as though you are in a different time zone and it was the only visit where the staff service wasn’t the same. There is no atmosphere back there and the staff aren’t as attentive so I choose to be placed at either the front or middle. As you can’t leave a note upon online booking, I always call to make sure this is done. But getting through is so difficult at any time of day. I understand all restaurants are busy but front of house and picking up the phone is vital. A staff member has told me upon visiting that not everyone is trained to use the phone which is why the phone can ring out sometimes. I do think this needs to change!

Onsite parking is incredibly handy, the décor and the set-up is nice! Definitely a difference from the restaurant it used to be! Happy to visit here regularly (when I can be seated where I like)! :)

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Well there are two things regarding this visit. Our reception when we first walked in and then the service we got. I will start with regarding the reception we got. We had booked a table for 3 people for Saturday 24th September 2016 at 3pm. We had got there a little earlier to save a bit extra time. When we first walked in we was greeted by Sam a lady who needs to really sort her attitude out. She was so nasty to the staff member who actually served us by saying just stick them over there. In the end of the day we come to a fine restaurant which costs a bit of money which I'm not complaining about as its probably once a month for a meal with my fiancée and our daughter so it was a nice treat but we do not expect to get a reception like that. throughout the whole time of our visit I was watching the way that sam spoke to other customers and it was as though we wasn't welcome into the establishment as she was speaking in a professional manner to them than to how we got spoke to but alls done now cant take it back. However during our time there we got a lovely waitress named Donna R and we got a lovely service and I do have to say that Donna R showed us what the other staff member didn't and that was a loving reception. Donna R was so apologetic with the way the other staff member spoke to us and in my opinion I don't think that should be her job to do that but like I say she spoke to us with a professional manner and showed us how to treat customers in such a fine establishment so thank you to our lovely waitress Donna R. I would definatly visit again if we have the professionalism and mannerism that DOnna R showed us.

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Visited Miller and Carter tonight for the first time and wasn't disappointed.

It was a family meal, with a table booked online, and we grabbed a drink at the bar before taking a seat at our very smart table, with exceedingly comfy seats. Indeed, the entire restaurant has been finished very nicely and is very classy, but in a relaxed and welcoming way.

Between the four of us we ordered the sharing platter (very tasty and just right in terms of quantity), the tempura prawns and also a prawn cocktail. Everyone was very happy with their starters.

For mains we had two steaks, one sea bass and one burger and again, everyone was delighted.

My rump steak was cooked to perfection and the bearnaise sauce was quite splendid, as were the chips! The other steak was fabulous too, the burger looked amazing and the sea bass got a great review, and the restaurant served the latter plain, not as per the menu, so many thanks for that.

Service was friendly and knowledgeable throughout, not too obtrusive, and we were even given a second round of drinks free of charge as our waiter neglected to put the order through. He apologised straight away and they didn't need to go the extra mile, but they did.

Suffice to say, the desserts were excellent too, although I probably should have skipped mine!

All in all, highly recommended and can't wait to return.

Well done, Miller and Carter