“Cosy English pub with good pub grub”
Review of Horse and Farrier

Horse and Farrier
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Threlkeld
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 May 2017

My husband is in a wheelchair and the pub was easy for him to access. The staff were very helpful getting our table ready us to make getting his wheelchair under the table easy. We have a dog and he could accompany us getting free treats from the staff, the food was good particularly the steak and ale pie and the gammon. My starter of scallops was lovely.
My husband found the battered fish a little dry.
The only complaint was the copious amounts of vegetables on the plate which were undercooked. It would have been much nicer to have veg in a dish so that we could help ourselves. Just more finesse would be appreciated. For example it was a nice touch to have the chips in a wire basket enabling us to help ourselves.
The service was excellent with the staff being so pleasant and helpful.
We had two meals at this pub on our holiday and enjoyed the lovely atmosphere, good food and smashing staff.

1  Thank Christine D

Reviewed 27 April 2017

Arrived to find our table reserved next to the bar. Tables tightly packed together and people coming in from car park and difficulty getting past our table. We weren't show the specials menu and didn't know it existed until it was time to order sweets. I ordered a "home-cooked" ham salad. Don't know whose home it was cooked in but wasn't in house, it was the thin watery ham that can be bought from supermarkets. It was accompanied by several leaves, two slice of tomato, a small pot of red cabbage coleslaw and a small pot of something that neither I nor another diner could eat. My husband ordered garlic mushrooms for starters and these were cheap breaded mushrooms with a small dish of garlic dip. We were asked if we would like sweets at the same time we were told that our table was needed in 30 minutes - although there were several empty tables around. Incredible as our total bill was the best part of £200, Obviously won't be back.

Reviewed 12 April 2017 via mobile

We've eaten here several times and always enjoyed the ambience and super friendly super helpful staff. We were disappointed with our most recent visit however. We arrived on a Sunday evening which had been exceptionally busy and they had run out of roasts. But fair play to the chef, he had put two extra dishes on to accommodate demand. We stuck to the main menu however but still had some disappointment. I had fish and chips but the batter was way too thick and therefore quite soggy. And my husband had gammon which was lovely but the veg wasn't cooked. My big disappointment was dessert however. I had a date and pecan tart but the only pecan element was the decoration on top, and the whole tart was a very lazy concoction - stewed dates mashed up and thrown into a pastry case. Too sweet and unpleasant to eat. Again my husband faired better with a lovely ginger pudding. We will be back as they are normally fabulous. And the service is consistently strong.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

We were a party of 7 of different ages with something to please everyone. Service very friendly and efficient. Menu choices good and food served very well. We all enjoyed the salad served with mains and starters, delicious dressings.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Popped in everyday whilst staying locally and ate twice. Great atmosphere and great food but both overshadowed by the amazing staff.