“The perfect base for exploring the North Lakes”
Review of Horse and Farrier

Horse and Farrier
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Threlkeld
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2017

I visited this lovely old hostelry with my son in May and stayed for 3 nights . The rooms and en suites are on the small side but perfectly adequate. The pub is the heart of this lovely Cumbrian Village and ideally located for Blencathra and all of the northern fells. Its the type of place you look forward to coming back to after a day in the Hills as the food and atmosphere are both wonderful.
All the staff are friendly and efficient and it really is a well managed operation given its popularity. The food is consistently of a high quality although a little expensive for pub grub. The bars and restaurant were packed on all 3 nights of our visit and its advisable to book if you want to eat. The pubs age lends itself to an amazing atmosphere with locals and tourists mixing amicably at the bar. I don't know how the staff cope so well given the number of covers they serve each night.
Because the Horse and Farrier has an established reputation it is always busy and my only criticism is that there are too many tables packed into the restaurant area and we had to move twice as I didn't like eating close to the bar.. I also think the drink prices are too steep as £4.00 for a pint of real ale is what I'd expect to pay in London not the Lakes!

Reviewed 11 June 2017 via mobile

Like the title says, outstanding in every respect.

Located just outside Keswick at the foot of the mighty Blencathra as a stunning backdrop for this fantastic pub serving outstanding quality food that is very well presented and not skimping on portion size. An excellent price, and all washed down with Jennings beers.

I'll be back again. And again...

Reviewed 9 June 2017

Lovely old pub with a very welcoming atmosphere. The meal and service was excellent. I had belly pork with white and black pudding and mash, the meal was delicious. My husband had haddock, mushy peas and chips and it was also delicious. Unfortunately we were too full to try a desert. Will definitely return when we next holiday in the Lake District.

1  Thank ChristinaRoseW
Reviewed 1 June 2017

We are a family of four and have visited twice this week whist staying in a nearby holiday cottage. We have booked again before we leave! The food is first rate, the beer excellent and the staff friendly. Perfect country pub!.....and dog friendly.

Reviewed 31 May 2017

Stayed here on day 2 for coast to coast cycle. Good pub with hearty meals and helpful staff
However, rooms need refreshing and public areas ( hallways and stairs to rooms) need deep cleaning - glad we were very tired or would not have been happy to sleep there as it was noisy ( above pub / beer barrels changing area)
I would not return to stay in B and B and would recommend travelling a little further to Greystokes for example