“Awful meal”
Review of The White Lion Inn

The White Lion Inn
Price range: US$13 - US$22
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We are a quintessential English Country Pub serving good, honest home made food with added Specials each week. Real Ales and fine Wines add to the menu, along with cosy seating areas both in the bar and restaurant. Our beautiful Willow Garden with seating, runs alongside the brook where you can relax and enjoy the Countryside. We have 8 en suite bedrooms all with the usual facilities and free Wifi including a Superior and Family bedroom. Free parking is available.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Meal was returned inedible. still charged for all drinks and a starter. we went back in the garden and had another beer and coffee and were not even offered them on the house as a way of apology. Not good customer service. We acknowledge accidents happen but they didn't show any real concern so we would not try it again.

1  Thank Fijane53
YolandaChris, Owner at The White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Customer, We are sorry you did not enjoy the meal you ordered. The waitress who returned the meals back to the kitchen informed me that you didn't like the sauce or the meat - that you didn't want anything else and that you would pay for your starters but not the mains. We wouldn't expect you to pay for something that you had not eaten of course, so that goes without saying. We are sorry you are upset that you didn't receive anything complimentary. You mention "Not good customer service" and "didn't show any real concern" so the fact that I came out to you and introduced myself as the cook and Landlady obviously doesn't mean anything. The fact I apologised to you that you didn't like your meal and that if there was anything I could do for you, again doesn't mean anything. It is disappointing to read that when the matter had been dealt with at source that customers still feel the need to write a negative report and not include both sides of the story. Regards Yolanda and Chris

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Went to the white lion today for lunch my meal was amazing the landlord is very friendly the hole day was lovely the staff was very friendly the meat just melt in your mouth and vegetables was nice and fresh can't wait for my next vist very lovely place thank you to all the staff at the white lion

YolandaChris, Owner at The White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Many thanks for your review. We are very happy you enjoyed your lunch and have passed on your remarks to the staff. Kind regards Yolanda and Chris

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very disappointed. Looked great from the outside, with a lovely beer garden too. We went for a family meal and struggled to even get served at the bar for a drink. Eventually we did and we asked for a table. 20 minutes later we finally had our drinks and got to sit down. The pub wasnt busy or full. We waited a l9ng time for menus and another 15-20 mins before our order was taken. Finally our meals arrived. They took a while but we expected to wait as the pub claim the food to be home cooked. My boys had burgers so you cant go wrong. My hubby had a steak which was fine and I had pork clementine. Not fine at all. The pork was raw all through. At no point did anyone come to check if we were okay so I had to leave it. The table was eventually cleared and only at that point was I able to tell them about it. The chef came out and apologised but never asked if I wanted it cooking properly or even offer me an alternative. Eventually we asked for the bill and they hadnt even taken off a small amount as a gesture of goodwill. But they kindly added someone elses drinks to our bill. Not impressed at all. It was sorted in the end and I refused to pay for my meal as I couldnt eat it.

YolandaChris, Owner at The White Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Guest, It is important to us that our guests/customer receive excellent service and food when dining with us. The night in question was an extremely busy night which is why you incurred a wait at the bar (however we don't believe it was 20minutes) and which is why you were seated in our 2nd restaurant as the top restaurant was full. We do not 'claim' to make our home made dishes, we do make Home made dishes. You are correct in your Pork Clem not being cooked all the way through and as I did on the evening I apologize profusely for this. As the steak is so thick we are now 'butterflying' the steak to ensure thorough cooking. You say I didn't offer to cook it properly or offer an alternative - I could not do this because of course the plate was cleared by a waitress who then brought it to my attention of the problem and your table had been cleared. I immediately came out to see you and apologised as this is not our normal standard. When presented with your bill, the pork steak at that point had not been removed, but again when the waitress brought this to my attention I confirmed that it should be taken off the bill which is was. The error with the drinks was unfortunate mistake and again was removed from you bill - Apologies again for this error. We appreciate and agree you did not receive the service and quality of food that you should have and apologise for this - but we would appreciate customers being more accurate with their reviews. Kind regards Yolanda and Chris

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Nice grounds, nice pub really good food at a reasonable price. The fish and chips were excellent would definitely recommend and would return without hesitation

Thank you so much for your lovely review and so glad you enjoyed our delicious fish and chips. Kind regards Yolanda and Chris

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked for the Sunday Carvery as it was Father’s Day and, after reading some of the reviews, we expected it to be booked out.

The pub is lovely and the staff pleasant and busy keeping the pub clean and tidy and running smoothly.

The Carvery is served from the restaurant area and can be taken through to eat in the bar which we did as we had our dog with us who was welcome as were a number of other dogs who were all well behaved and got on well.

Meats on offer were beef, pork or gammon. Before I made my choice I was told the beef was well done and cooked that way to suit the majority. It was over cooked and pretty dry, unfortunately the gravy was little more then just meat juices in boiling water and did little to improve the taste. The meat was served with some roast potatoes and a shop bought Yorkshire pudding as opposed to home made. My husband had the pork which was so dry it was crumbling as it was sliced and the guy serving it joked that it looked like they were serving pulled pork.

The vegetables on offer were boiled potatoes, cabbage, carrots and broccoli. Apart from the broccoli they all looked dry and unappetising. Some butter on them and a snip of herbs or a grind of black pepper would have improved both the taste and the appearance. The white cabbage did have something added which did not belong on a roast dinner and gave it a strange taste. Perhaps Savoy cabbage would have at least looked more appealing and less like school dinners.

We eat Sunday dinner out most weeks at different pubs and I can honestly say that this was the most tasteless meal I have ever eaten.

I would finish by saying that the management would do well to listen to some of the constructive criticism given instead of being defensive in their response to every below average review.

Thank you for your comments of which we have noted. Obviously you did not enjoy your Sunday lunch which we are disappointed to read, as we have always had high praise and indeed on Fathers Day also had compliments on our Sunday lunch.
We have listened to your comments and would mention that we normally serve savoy or sweet heart cabbage but on this occasion had spring cabbage. The white cabbage had a seasoning called Tarragon which most people enjoy. The Vegetables on offer were carrots and swede, white cabbage and broccoli as you say with new buttered potatoes and home made roasts. As regards the meats and gravy we note your comments and will address this thank you. I would like to add that your closing remark is unwarranted and rude. We do take notice of what people say otherwise we wouldn't bother replying back to your review or anyone elses' and really don't understand why you felt you had to make that comment. Regards Yolanda and Chris Owners of The White Lion Inn