“Very interesting way to serve seafood”
Review of The Captain's Boil

The Captain's Boil
Reserve with OpenTable
The Captain's Boil is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #70 of 233 Restaurants in Thornhill
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This was our first time to a "Boil" restaurant. Did not know what to expect, except that we knew we were going to have seafood! Each place setting had a plastic bib and plastic gloves. We were unsure what the gloves were for until the first selection, mussels, was delivered in a plastic bag. On went the bib and gloves. These had to be the biggest mussels ever. Others ordered shrimp, a platter (it came with a fork), and a lobster roll. Lots of sides available as well. They were short staffed, and busy at lunch, but all in all, good, but messy lunch.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We came here specifically for the lobster bisque, after seeing this come up on my FB feed many times. They keep advertising lobster bisque, which my husband loves, so we went here for dinner on Saturday night. I should have researched more before going. I didn't realize it was such a messy experience...we all would have dressed down a bit. Yes you have to wear a bib, use plastic gloves and eat out of a plastic bag. No cutlery or plates. We ordered the lobster in the Captain Boil sauce, which was very tasty. The corn on the cob was also delicious. We ordered chicken tenders for my son, which were very tough, dry and too much hard breading. The lobster bisque combo came with a lobster roll, which was delicious and fries. But the actual bisque, which is the whole reason we came here, was a huge letdown. It wasn't bisque at all! It was like a lobster broth. No cream. A brownish coloured, thin broth. I've never experienced anything like this in my life. They should not be advertising lobster bisque, when the dish they serve is only a lobster broth soup. Extremely disappointing.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

I suggested to my family that we go out for dinner here, unaware that no utensils are provided. The food is served in bags (not just the seafood/meat, my aunt got a potato and it was served in a comically large plastic bag too). If you go, plan to get messy. I had the snow crab legs with the house sauce and no added spice, and found them difficult to eat with my hands, but they were delicious. My cousin had the shrimp, which for a good price is served as a very large portion, but was a bit put off by the fact that the shrimp's eyes were still there. My aunt had the same reaction to her crawfish. My uncle said he had had better lobster but that it was very good. The service was pretty good and fairly fast. Would recommend for a unique experience but be aware of what you're in for.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

In town for business so I decided to walk over and check it out. Service was quick and effecient. I ordered the Teriaki Fish plate. It comes with white rice and fried fish. The batter was nice and light. Not your typical English pub style batter but more Asian influence. The teriaki sauce was also nice and light. Not too sweet and just drizzled over the fish and rice. Reasonbly priced and the portions were good. The only downside was paying. In this day and age to not accept Amex is rare. Especially located in a major business area surrounded by hotels you would expect all forms of credit to be accepted. Otherwise a pleasurable experience.

Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

My wife and I popped by this restaurant for a weekend lunch. We chose the shrimp, crawfish, snow crab, oysters, and clams. All of the seafood was cooked perfectly and the seasoning with the "Captain's Boil" mix was perfect. We chose the mild level of heat and this was, surprisingly, quite hot. I would recommend starting at mild and gradually moving up the heat level if you don't like all that much heat. Our favourite part of lunch was the clam order! I think we will pop by here regularly just for several orders of clams and some beer. A big warning is that you eat the seafood with your hands, so you may want to consider using the plastic gloves that they provide. Otherwise, you're going to need a lot of napkins and you'll spend a lot of time in the washroom cleaning up! My wife has strongly suggested that you do not wear white when dining here! We highly recommend this restaurant! The service was excellent and we had a lot of fun!