Shortly - all the great reviews about this place are correct, so if the price works out for you, don't hesitate.
We stayed here for 13 nights in January 2017, and we enjoyed it very much.
- The views are fabulous
- Alan is a great host (he replied to our messages within max 1 hour, and no question was too small; deposit was returned quickly)
- The place was nicely decorated, in good shape and VERY clean (I washed the floor as we traveled with kids, and found no dirt at all)
- Very comfortable bed
- All necessary kitchen appliances (but no dishwasher)
- Beach chairs, plenty of snorkel equipment (leftovers from previous guests?), cooler bag provided
- Free wifi (open, not encrypted)
- The location is very convenient. The resort is private and quiet, there is reception staff at the daytime, a taxi on site, or you can walk down the hill to the main road (3 min) and get a dollarbus to Red Hook and even Charlotte Amalie, if you feel like driving a bit around to explore the island (the Safari buses run very frequently during working days).
- Area around: 3min walk along the water to Whyndams resort (with restaurant, coffee shop, water equipment rentals); another 3 min and you're are a public Coki beach (nice beach, but go there early in the morning or on the days where there are fewer cruise ships in town, otherwise it gets too crowded and messy). BTW if you are travelling with kids - there is a decent playground at the left wing at Coki beach in good condition!
- This is a top unit, so you won't have any noise from other renters (but beware that your bedroom is facing a parking lot and a path, which people use to come back from restaurants, so late at night you might hear a few people talking loud, although this is only until they pass).
We did just fine without a car for most of the days (we had a rental for 3 days, which was sufficient).
TIP: upon arrival you can agree with a taxi driver to stop at a grocery store, that will get you going for a few days.
Another tip: ants are frequent in the Caribbean, in this place we have only seen them in in the kitchen when we forgot to clean the surfaces or left some fruit/sweet stuff out, so just keep the food in the fridge and clean up after yourself, and you'll be fine!
Last tip: if you have a rental car, take it to St.John (you'll have all the flexibility and save on taxies there). If you go without a car, taxi to RedHook is 5 USD per person + 16 for the ferry. If you go by car, it's only 50 USD return total for car and passengers - do the math!:)
Hope this review was useful. Good luck travelers!